Re: AW: AW: [svg-developers] database question

  • Don XML
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31 8:04 AM
      I don't it will help, since it requires Windows 2K and is written in VB, but
      it is open source, so you can use it if you want. The component is called
      XD0 (for eXtensible Data Object) and you can download it from VBXML.com,
      http://www.vbxml.com/downloads/default.asp?id=v200142801137

      Don XML

      You live and learn. Or you don't live long

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31 8:22 AM
        Hi Don.
        I think you have build a very nice application which creates (in the end) a
        svg file. Couldn't you build up a very simple example which are doing the
        four steps so that everyone (who is interested in DB-queries) realizes how
        to make applications with database queries and resultsets that can be used
        in SVG?

        I think it would be enough if you use a simple query to get the records.
        Then how to put them in a xml file.
        How to order so that you can read the data from the svg file.
        AND how to create a svg file that can interact with the xml-datafile.

        I hope that is the right expiration in which one has to build a svg with
        database interaction!?!?!?!?

        Thank you in advanced. Great work what you have done yet!

        Best regards
        henrik

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31 10:31 AM
          Henrik,

          Thanks for the compliment, we (folks on the discussion group) are all just
          trying to share our collective knowledge, and further the cause. As for a
          sample of the four steps, with code, unless you use the same technologies,
          an article covering it all would be worthless, and it wouldn�t be an article
          but a book. The article I�m working on just covers how to build the element
          behavior and the process we went thru, and it�s already 9 printed pages.

          On the server side, I code using ASP (and ASP.NET) with Visual Basic and C#
          for compiled programming languages, and XML over HTTP for client to server
          interactions. Examples using this technology will not help a Unix and
          Apache shop. So what you are really looking for is an article on how to
          convert database queries to XML, for your specific platform. Check out
          magazines like www.xmlmag.com for articles like that. Once you have your
          XML stream, then it�s basically the same for everyone, via your web server
          of choice, run it thru an XSLT and stream the output to the browser, with
          slight variations depending on the targeted browser and OS.

          Don�t get discouraged, but there is a lot to learn if you want to do this
          all yourself. We�ve had this discussion in the group before, and you really
          need decide where you want to focus your energies. Pick a core area, learn
          it, and then work slowly outward from there.