Re: flipping text on a path

  • Andreas Neumann
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2006
      Hi Darryl,

      thats why I always multiply the y-part in the map coordinates with
      -1. That way one doesn't have the problems that you describe. Of
      course you need to adjust the viewBox accordingly, then.

      Andreas

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Darryl Watson <dwatson@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > I have a machine-generated SVG document which contains a layer (or
      > group) that has an arrow line, which is created with a marker. I
      want
      > to render text along the path of the arrow, so I have created a
      > <textPath> element which refers to the arrow path. Fine, that
      works,
      > but my text is backward because I enclose every element in the
      document
      > in a group whose sole function is to transform the coordinate
      system to
      > cartesian coordinates. X now increases to the right, and Y
      increases in
      > an upward direction.
      >
      > That makes it easier for me to work with, but text on a path is
      now a
      > problem.
      >
      > I can put text elements in the document, and perform a transform
      and
      > scale to flip them over oround the X axis, but text on a path is
      more
      > resistent to this procedure. I have tried
      gliph-orientation-horizontal
      > and vertical and rotate on the <tspan> element as well as the text
      > element, but I can't quite seem to get it right.
      >
      > Any suggestions appreciated for how to solve this one...

    • Samuel Dagan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2006
        Hi Darryl,
        If there are only few such arrows, you can just define, within
        <defs>...</defs>, paths of straight lines in the right direction.
        Then you use them as a path for <textPath>, but without rendering
        these paths (no <use..>). This procedure works fine for me.
        Cheers, Samy