flipping text on a path

  • Darryl Watson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2006
      Hi!

      I have a machine-generated SVG document which contains a layer (or
      group) that has an arrow line, which is created with a marker. I want
      to render text along the path of the arrow, so I have created a
      <textPath> element which refers to the arrow path. Fine, that works,
      but my text is backward because I enclose every element in the document
      in a group whose sole function is to transform the coordinate system to
      cartesian coordinates. X now increases to the right, and Y increases in
      an upward direction.

      That makes it easier for me to work with, but text on a path is now a
      problem.

      I can put text elements in the document, and perform a transform and
      scale to flip them over oround the X axis, but text on a path is more
      resistent to this procedure. I have tried gliph-orientation-horizontal
      and vertical and rotate on the <tspan> element as well as the text
      element, but I can't quite seem to get it right.

      Any suggestions appreciated for how to solve this one...
    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2006
        Hi Darryl,

        thats why I always multiply the y-part in the map coordinates with
        -1. That way one doesn't have the problems that you describe. Of
        course you need to adjust the viewBox accordingly, then.

        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Darryl Watson <dwatson@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > I have a machine-generated SVG document which contains a layer (or
        > group) that has an arrow line, which is created with a marker. I
        want
        > to render text along the path of the arrow, so I have created a
        > <textPath> element which refers to the arrow path. Fine, that
        works,
        > but my text is backward because I enclose every element in the
        document
        > in a group whose sole function is to transform the coordinate
        system to
        > cartesian coordinates. X now increases to the right, and Y
        increases in
        > an upward direction.
        >
        > That makes it easier for me to work with, but text on a path is
        now a
        > problem.
        >
        > I can put text elements in the document, and perform a transform
        and
        > scale to flip them over oround the X axis, but text on a path is
        more
        > resistent to this procedure. I have tried
        gliph-orientation-horizontal
        > and vertical and rotate on the <tspan> element as well as the text
        > element, but I can't quite seem to get it right.
        >
        > Any suggestions appreciated for how to solve this one...

      • Samuel Dagan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2006
          Hi Darryl,
          If there are only few such arrows, you can just define, within
          <defs>...</defs>, paths of straight lines in the right direction.
          Then you use them as a path for <textPath>, but without rendering
          these paths (no <use..>). This procedure works fine for me.
          Cheers, Samy