Re: [svg-developers] 3D boxes?

  • ddailey
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
      This is not quite so complex as what I think you have in mind, but I
      happened to see this very nice little demonstration by Antoine Quint the
      other day.
      http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html?page=2&x-maxdepth=0

      It is an SVG recreation of a flash thingy ( Niklas Gustavsson's original SWF
      animation,) involving cubes bouncing around onmouseover.

      DD
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
        Thanks for link. I've studied that information and am trying to adapt
        the concept to what I need to do.

        In the example, to get the three-dimensional effect,it appears that
        the box is rotated about 30 degrees clockwise and then about 30
        degrees down.

        To get this effect, I'm going to have to calculate the X and Y end
        points for each of the lines based on the dimensions of the box being
        displayed. Anyone here have any ideas as to what sort of formula would
        do this?

        Any additional info will be greatly appreciated.

        Thanks.

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

        > This is not quite so complex as what I think you have in mind, but I
        > happened to see this very nice little demonstration by Antoine Quint
        the
        > other day.
        > http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html?page=2&x-
        maxdepth=0

        > It is an SVG recreation of a flash thingy ( Niklas Gustavsson's
        original SWF
        > animation,) involving cubes bouncing around onmouseover.
        >
        > DD
      • Phi Tran
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
          On 4/2/06, mvalley <mvalley@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for link. I've studied that information and am trying to adapt
          > the concept to what I need to do.
          >
          > In the example, to get the three-dimensional effect,it appears that
          > the box is rotated about 30 degrees clockwise and then about 30
          > degrees down.
          >
          > To get this effect, I'm going to have to calculate the X and Y end
          > points for each of the lines based on the dimensions of the box being
          > displayed. Anyone here have any ideas as to what sort of formula would
          > do this?

          This is combination of these functions. Rotate then Skew OR SkewX then SkewY
          - Both work. You may need to use ScaleX and or ScaleY as well.
          Take a look a W3C website on SVG specication It will you the formulars and
          example how each works

          Those above functions only give you a 3d ->2d visual presentation of a rect.
          Howerer you also need to keep up with the other D for you to know which rect
          should paint first then second ... so on to have it fully 3-D inlustrated
          (There are many other website talking on 3-d Graphic animation).

          Good Luck

          Phi

          Any additional info will be greatly appreciated.

          > Thanks.
          >

          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > This is not quite so complex as what I think you have in mind, but I
          > > happened to see this very nice little demonstration by Antoine Quint
          > the
          > > other day.
          > > http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html?page=2&x-
          > maxdepth=0
          > >
          > > It is an SVG recreation of a flash thingy ( Niklas Gustavsson's
          > original SWF
          > > animation,) involving cubes bouncing around onmouseover.
          > >
          > > DD

          > membership"
          > ----
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • mvalley
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2006
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Phi Tran" <ephitran@...>
            wrote:

            > This is combination of these functions. Rotate then Skew OR SkewX
            then SkewY
            > - Both work. You may need to use ScaleX and or ScaleY as well.
            > Take a look a W3C website on SVG specication It will you the
            formulars and
            > example how each works
            >

            > Those above functions only give you a 3d ->2d visual presentation
            of a rect.
            > Howerer you also need to keep up with the other D for you to know
            which rect
            > should paint first then second ... so on to have it fully 3-D
            inlustrated
            > (There are many other website talking on 3-d Graphic animation).

            I've experimented with all of the functions you mentioned - none do
            what I'm looking for (at least the way I'm using them).

            I have 3 pretty good books on SVG - none of them say anything about
            3-D stuff. I've spent several hours Googling and have come up with
            little of anything helpful.

            Does anyone happen to know of any specific web sites that would have
            some examples of these 3-d calculations?
          • Phi Tran
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2006
              It is not 3-D ->2D; But you using it as:
              A SQUARE RECTANGLE put it on 3-D it become a NONE-SQUARE RECTANGLE.
              (you need a 3-D Graphic Animation not SVG 3D-2D...)