3D boxes?

  • mvalley
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2006
      Imagine a pile of cardboard boxes neatly stacked on a pallet. I want
      to create a 3d view of that with SVG.

      This will NOT be a single, static picture - the SVG will need to be
      generated by a server-side script. The size of the boxes, the number
      of boxes per layer and the number of layers will all vary from one
      presentation to another.

      I have several books on SVG and I've done some basic work with it
      (drawing rectangles and the like) but anything 3d is way beyond me and
      I need to learn. Is there some reference that someone could recommend
      on this? Has anyone done anything like this that I might be able to
      learn from?

      Thanks for any suggestions.
    • ddailey
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
        This is not quite so complex as what I think you have in mind, but I
        happened to see this very nice little demonstration by Antoine Quint the
        other day.
        http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html?page=2&x-maxdepth=0

        It is an SVG recreation of a flash thingy ( Niklas Gustavsson's original SWF
        animation,) involving cubes bouncing around onmouseover.

        DD
        > Imagine a pile of cardboard boxes neatly stacked on a pallet. I want
        > to create a 3d view of that with SVG.
        >
        > This will NOT be a single, static picture - the SVG will need to be
        > generated by a server-side script. The size of the boxes, the number
        > of boxes per layer and the number of layers will all vary from one
        > presentation to another.
        >
        > I have several books on SVG and I've done some basic work with it
        > (drawing rectangles and the like) but anything 3d is way beyond me and
        > I need to learn. Is there some reference that someone could recommend
        > on this? Has anyone done anything like this that I might be able to
        > learn from?
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions.

        > membership"
        > ----
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • mvalley
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
          Thanks for link. I've studied that information and am trying to adapt
          the concept to what I need to do.

          In the example, to get the three-dimensional effect,it appears that
          the box is rotated about 30 degrees clockwise and then about 30
          degrees down.

          To get this effect, I'm going to have to calculate the X and Y end
          points for each of the lines based on the dimensions of the box being
          displayed. Anyone here have any ideas as to what sort of formula would
          do this?

          Any additional info will be greatly appreciated.

          Thanks.

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

          > This is not quite so complex as what I think you have in mind, but I
          > happened to see this very nice little demonstration by Antoine Quint
          the
          > other day.
          > http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html?page=2&x-
          maxdepth=0

          > It is an SVG recreation of a flash thingy ( Niklas Gustavsson's
          original SWF
          > animation,) involving cubes bouncing around onmouseover.
          >
          > DD
        • Phi Tran
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
            On 4/2/06, mvalley <mvalley@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for link. I've studied that information and am trying to adapt
            > the concept to what I need to do.
            >
            > In the example, to get the three-dimensional effect,it appears that
            > the box is rotated about 30 degrees clockwise and then about 30
            > degrees down.
            >
            > To get this effect, I'm going to have to calculate the X and Y end
            > points for each of the lines based on the dimensions of the box being
            > displayed. Anyone here have any ideas as to what sort of formula would
            > do this?

            This is combination of these functions. Rotate then Skew OR SkewX then SkewY
            - Both work. You may need to use ScaleX and or ScaleY as well.
            Take a look a W3C website on SVG specication It will you the formulars and
            example how each works

            Those above functions only give you a 3d ->2d visual presentation of a rect.
            Howerer you also need to keep up with the other D for you to know which rect
            should paint first then second ... so on to have it fully 3-D inlustrated
            (There are many other website talking on 3-d Graphic animation).

            Good Luck

            Phi

            Any additional info will be greatly appreciated.

            > Thanks.
            >

            > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > This is not quite so complex as what I think you have in mind, but I
            > > happened to see this very nice little demonstration by Antoine Quint
            > the
            > > other day.
            > > http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html?page=2&x-
            > maxdepth=0
            > >
            > > It is an SVG recreation of a flash thingy ( Niklas Gustavsson's
            > original SWF
            > > animation,) involving cubes bouncing around onmouseover.
            > >
            > > DD

            > membership"
            > ----
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • mvalley
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2006
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Phi Tran" <ephitran@...>
              wrote:

              > This is combination of these functions. Rotate then Skew OR SkewX
              then SkewY
              > - Both work. You may need to use ScaleX and or ScaleY as well.
              > Take a look a W3C website on SVG specication It will you the
              formulars and
              > example how each works
              >

              > Those above functions only give you a 3d ->2d visual presentation
              of a rect.
              > Howerer you also need to keep up with the other D for you to know
              which rect
              > should paint first then second ... so on to have it fully 3-D
              inlustrated
              > (There are many other website talking on 3-d Graphic animation).

              I've experimented with all of the functions you mentioned - none do
              what I'm looking for (at least the way I'm using them).

              I have 3 pretty good books on SVG - none of them say anything about
              3-D stuff. I've spent several hours Googling and have come up with
              little of anything helpful.

              Does anyone happen to know of any specific web sites that would have
              some examples of these 3-d calculations?
            • Phi Tran
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2006
                It is not 3-D ->2D; But you using it as:
                A SQUARE RECTANGLE put it on 3-D it become a NONE-SQUARE RECTANGLE.
                (you need a 3-D Graphic Animation not SVG 3D-2D...)