Re: SVG cellular automata

  • pilatfr
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 16, 2006
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "nogievet" <nogievet@...>
      wrote:

      To solve some problems with FF 1.5 :
      > 1) I could not make typing to work - onkeypress does not fire [1]

      Use ( svgdoc is SVGDocument )
      svgdoc.rootElement.addEventListener("keypress",your_function,false)

      > 2) lines seam to ignore dash array, so "lines" method does not work
      > in FF yet.

      Use , as separator
      Example stroke-dasharray="5,5,10,10"

      > 4) Strangely, <path> elements do not display, for example:
      > <path fill="#123456" d="M399 1,799 399,1 399,z" />

      Use L or l for next point
      d="M399 1L799 399L1 399z"

      > With SVG Cellular Automata one can compare ASV and FF SVG
      performance,
      > seams that so far ASV3 performs better. I will use it to benchmark
      > performance as new FF versions are coming out.

      In fact, when we create/modify svg objects on user action, it's
      impossible in FF 1.5 to get objects in real time, I adapt my tool
      about Penrose tiles and if user modify primary tile time required by
      FF to draw new tile make that tool cannot be used with FF 1.5. Opera
      9 beta has better perfomance but Adobe plugin remain the best!

      For people saying that Adobe plugin is not "dans les clous" for W3
      specifications, questions 2) and 4) show that Firefox don't respect
      specifications also ...

      Michel

      > [1] eventsdo not fire:
      > <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
      > xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      > <g onkeypress="alert('g keypress')" onkeydown="alert('g keydown')">
      > <rect x="0" y="0" width="800" height="400"
      > style="stroke:black;fill:#ffffcc" onkeypress="alert('rect
      keypress')"
      > onkeydown="alert('rect keydown')"/>
      > </g>
      > </svg>
      >
      > Thanks all,
      >
      > --Nikita
      > http://www.cogx.com
      >
      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Kam-Hung Soh"
      > <kamhung.soh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Nikita Ogievetsky"
      > > <nogievet@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Kam-Hung Soh wrote:
      > > >
      > > > ! > http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata
      > > > ! I got the game to work using IE6 + ASV, but not with Firefox
      > 1.5.x (I
      > > > ! see the initial display but I don't see the sample patterns
      and
      > > > ! cannot change the fertility rule).
      > > >
      > > > Hmmm... interesting.
      > > > I have not looked diligently... is there a page that tracks SVG
      > features
      > > > supported by Firefox?
      > > > At the first glance, I cannot get JavaScript to run on FireFox.
      > > > What am I missing?
      > >
      > > The SVG features supported by Firefox can be found here:
      > > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_in_Firefox_1.5
      > >
      > > When I reload your URL and use the Firefox Javascript console (in
      > > Tools / Javascript Console), I see a list of CSS attribute errors
      > and
      > > a Javascript object error.
      > >
      > > Most of the CSS errors seem straightforward to fix, just typos
      (e.g.
      > > transposed "e" and "i" in "font-wieght") and fonts requiring a
      unit
      > > (e.g. "12px" instead of "12"). I think "cursor" isn't an
      attribute
      > in
      > > the CSS standard but I don't know why "text-anchor" has an error.
      > >
      > > Regarding the object error, it looks like Firefox references the
      SVG

    • thomas.deweese@kodak.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 16, 2006
        Hi all,

        Just to set the record straight:
        FF is correct on #2, you must use commas between stroke-dasharray
        entries:
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/painting.html#StrokeProperties

        'stroke-dasharray' controls the pattern of dashes and gaps used to

        stroke paths. <dasharray> contains a list of comma-separated (with

        optional white space) <length>s that specify the lengths of
        alternating
        dashes and gaps. If an odd number of values is provided, then the
        list
        of values is repeated to yield an even number of values.

        FF _is_ wrong on #4 however:
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/paths.html#PathDataMovetoCommands

        If a moveto is followed by multiple pairs of coordinates, the
        subsequent
        pairs are treated as implicit lineto commands.

        In general FF does a pretty good job. My guess is the implementers
        missed this
        one sentence in the spec (this behavior should really be given 'more
        press' so
        to speak).

      • nogievet
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 17, 2006
          Hi Michel,

          Thank you for your help!
          Now my SVG Cellular automata is fully functional in FF.

          Additionally had to change some CSS declarations:
          1) text-anchor=> text-align
          2) font-size:12 did not work without specifying "px", I am not sure
          that it is reasonable...

          Your Penrose tiles are really cool, by the way!
          (as well as other games and gadgets)

          Thanks,

          --Nikita

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 17, 2006
            Hi Thomas,

            I agree with you, FF developers are doing great job!
            Also, in my tests, FF performance is just about 20-30 % behind ASV.
            I hope that this will improve in the future.

            --Nikita
            http://www.cogx.com