Re: SVG cellular automata

  • Kam-Hung Soh
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 8, 2006
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Nikita Ogievetsky"
      <nogievet@...> wrote:

      > Kam-Hung Soh wrote:
      >
      > ! > http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata
      > ! I got the game to work using IE6 + ASV, but not with Firefox 1.5.x (I
      > ! see the initial display but I don't see the sample patterns and I
      > ! cannot change the fertility rule).
      >
      > Hmmm... interesting.
      > I have not looked diligently... is there a page that tracks SVG features
      > supported by Firefox?
      > At the first glance, I cannot get JavaScript to run on FireFox.
      > What am I missing?

      The SVG features supported by Firefox can be found here:
      http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_in_Firefox_1.5

      When I reload your URL and use the Firefox Javascript console (in
      Tools / Javascript Console), I see a list of CSS attribute errors and
      a Javascript object error.

      Most of the CSS errors seem straightforward to fix, just typos (e.g.
      transposed "e" and "i" in "font-wieght") and fonts requiring a unit
      (e.g. "12px" instead of "12"). I think "cursor" isn't an attribute in
      the CSS standard but I don't know why "text-anchor" has an error.

      Regarding the object error, it looks like Firefox references the SVG
      document differently from ASV. This page has an explanation:

      http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG:Scripting

      I haven't yet used Javascript + SVG in Firefox (it's on the list of
      things to learn), so I hope that works!

      --
      Kam-Hung Soh
      http://kamhungsoh.blogspot.com - It Mostly Works
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 15, 2006
        Hi Kam-Hung,

        Sorry I was a bit slow with the reply.
        Thanks for your comments - The SVG Cellular Automata now works in
        FireFox, at least "rect" method:
        http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata

        1) I could not make typing to work - onkeypress does not fire [1], so
        one has to click links in the text below;

        2) lines seam to ignore dash array, so "lines" method does not work
        in FF yet.

        3) Some CSS styles do not work, especially related to font.

        4) Strangely, <path> elements do not display, for example:
        <path fill="#123456" d="M399 1,799 399,1 399,z" />

        Please let me know if I am missing something.

        With SVG Cellular Automata one can compare ASV and FF SVG performance,
        seams that so far ASV3 performs better. I will use it to benchmark
        performance as new FF versions are coming out.

        [1] eventsdo not fire:
        <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
        <g onkeypress="alert('g keypress')" onkeydown="alert('g keydown')">
        <rect x="0" y="0" width="800" height="400"
        style="stroke:black;fill:#ffffcc" onkeypress="alert('rect keypress')"
        onkeydown="alert('rect keydown')"/>
        </g>
        </svg>

        Thanks all,

        --Nikita
        http://www.cogx.com

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Kam-Hung Soh"

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 15, 2006
          Hi Kam-Hung,

          <kamhung.soh@...> wrote:

          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Nikita Ogievetsky"
          > <nogievet@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Kam-Hung Soh wrote:
          > >
          > > ! > http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata
          > > ! I got the game to work using IE6 + ASV, but not with Firefox
          1.5.x (I
          > > ! see the initial display but I don't see the sample patterns and
          > > ! cannot change the fertility rule).
          > >
          > > Hmmm... interesting.
          > > I have not looked diligently... is there a page that tracks SVG
          features
          > > supported by Firefox?
          > > At the first glance, I cannot get JavaScript to run on FireFox.
          > > What am I missing?
          >
          > The SVG features supported by Firefox can be found here:
          > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_in_Firefox_1.5
          >
          > When I reload your URL and use the Firefox Javascript console (in
          > Tools / Javascript Console), I see a list of CSS attribute errors
          and
          > a Javascript object error.
          >
          > Most of the CSS errors seem straightforward to fix, just typos (e.g.
          > transposed "e" and "i" in "font-wieght") and fonts requiring a unit
          > (e.g. "12px" instead of "12"). I think "cursor" isn't an attribute
          in
          > the CSS standard but I don't know why "text-anchor" has an error.
          >
          > Regarding the object error, it looks like Firefox references the SVG
          > document differently from ASV. This page has an explanation:
          >
          > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG:Scripting
          >
          > I haven't yet used Javascript + SVG in Firefox (it's on the list of
          > things to learn), so I hope that works!
          >
          > --
          > Kam-Hung Soh
          > http://kamhungsoh.blogspot.com - It Mostly Works
          > http://members.optusnet.com.au/~khsoh - Software That Mostly Works

        • pilatfr
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 16, 2006
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "nogievet" <nogievet@...>
            wrote:

            To solve some problems with FF 1.5 :
            > 1) I could not make typing to work - onkeypress does not fire [1]

            Use ( svgdoc is SVGDocument )
            svgdoc.rootElement.addEventListener("keypress",your_function,false)

            > 2) lines seam to ignore dash array, so "lines" method does not work
            > in FF yet.

            Use , as separator
            Example stroke-dasharray="5,5,10,10"

            > 4) Strangely, <path> elements do not display, for example:
            > <path fill="#123456" d="M399 1,799 399,1 399,z" />

            Use L or l for next point
            d="M399 1L799 399L1 399z"

            > With SVG Cellular Automata one can compare ASV and FF SVG
            performance,
            > seams that so far ASV3 performs better. I will use it to benchmark
            > performance as new FF versions are coming out.

            In fact, when we create/modify svg objects on user action, it's
            impossible in FF 1.5 to get objects in real time, I adapt my tool
            about Penrose tiles and if user modify primary tile time required by
            FF to draw new tile make that tool cannot be used with FF 1.5. Opera
            9 beta has better perfomance but Adobe plugin remain the best!

            For people saying that Adobe plugin is not "dans les clous" for W3
            specifications, questions 2) and 4) show that Firefox don't respect
            specifications also ...

            Michel

          • thomas.deweese@kodak.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 16, 2006
              Hi all,

              Just to set the record straight:
              FF is correct on #2, you must use commas between stroke-dasharray
              entries:
              http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/painting.html#StrokeProperties

              'stroke-dasharray' controls the pattern of dashes and gaps used to

              stroke paths. <dasharray> contains a list of comma-separated (with

              optional white space) <length>s that specify the lengths of
              alternating
              dashes and gaps. If an odd number of values is provided, then the
              list
              of values is repeated to yield an even number of values.

              FF _is_ wrong on #4 however:
              http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/paths.html#PathDataMovetoCommands

              If a moveto is followed by multiple pairs of coordinates, the
              subsequent
              pairs are treated as implicit lineto commands.

              In general FF does a pretty good job. My guess is the implementers
              missed this
              one sentence in the spec (this behavior should really be given 'more
              press' so
              to speak).

            • nogievet
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 17, 2006
                Hi Michel,

                Thank you for your help!
                Now my SVG Cellular automata is fully functional in FF.

                Additionally had to change some CSS declarations:
                1) text-anchor=> text-align
                2) font-size:12 did not work without specifying "px", I am not sure
                that it is reasonable...

                Your Penrose tiles are really cool, by the way!
                (as well as other games and gadgets)

                Thanks,

                --Nikita

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 17, 2006
                  Hi Thomas,

                  I agree with you, FF developers are doing great job!
                  Also, in my tests, FF performance is just about 20-30 % behind ASV.
                  I hope that this will improve in the future.

                  --Nikita
                  http://www.cogx.com