Re: SVG cellular automata

  • Kevin Lindsey
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 14, 2006
      Hi Nikita,

      > I placed my implementation of SVG cellular automata at
      >
      > http://www.swglasses.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata
      > Your suggestions of improvement are greatly appreciated.

      I played around with something similar a while back. I found that I
      could use a single thick line and a dash array to simulate pixels in a
      bitmap. That way, I only had to create a single element per row
      instead of N-columns worth of elements per row. That really speed up
      overall processing. I've included some links, if you're interested:

      http://www.kevlindev.com/gui/utilities/bitmap/index.htm
      http://www.kevlindev.com/alife/ants/index.htm

      -Kevin
    • nogievet
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
        Good day!

        I implemented Kevin's excellent suggestion.
        http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata
        New Cellular Automata game performs much better, and resetting never
        causes the browser to hang.

        Generation of new cells performs about six times better.

        You can play with Cellular Automata using both approaches to compare
        performance.

        Thanks,

        --Nikita
        http://www.cogx.com

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Lindsey"
        <k_e_lindsey@...> wrote:

        > Hi Nikita,
        >
        > > I placed my implementation of SVG cellular automata at
        > >
        > > http://www.swglasses.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata
        > > Your suggestions of improvement are greatly appreciated.
        >
        > I played around with something similar a while back. I found that I
        > could use a single thick line and a dash array to simulate pixels
        in a
        > bitmap. That way, I only had to create a single element per row
        > instead of N-columns worth of elements per row. That really speed
        up
        > overall processing. I've included some links, if you're interested:
        >
        > http://www.kevlindev.com/gui/utilities/bitmap/index.htm
        > http://www.kevlindev.com/alife/ants/index.htm
        >
        > -Kevin

      • Kam-Hung Soh
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "nogievet" <nogievet@...> wrote:

          > Good day!
          >
          > I implemented Kevin's excellent suggestion.
          > http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata
          > New Cellular Automata game performs much better, and resetting never
          > causes the browser to hang.
          >
          > Generation of new cells performs about six times better.
          >
          > You can play with Cellular Automata using both approaches to compare
          > performance.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > --Nikita
          > http://www.cogx.com

          I got the game to work using IE6 + ASV, but not with Firefox 1.5.x (I
          see the initial display but I don't see the sample patterns and I
          cannot change the fertility rule).

          Anyway, it's pretty neat how you used the dashed lines for cells.
          Have to remember that trick for the future!

          --
          Kam-Hung Soh
          http://kamhungsoh.blogspot.com - It Mostly Works
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 8, 2006
            Kam-Hung Soh wrote:

            ! > http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata
            ! I got the game to work using IE6 + ASV, but not with Firefox 1.5.x (I
            ! see the initial display but I don't see the sample patterns and I
            ! cannot change the fertility rule).

            Hmmm... interesting.
            I have not looked diligently... is there a page that tracks SVG features
            supported by Firefox?
            At the first glance, I cannot get JavaScript to run on FireFox.
            What am I missing?

            ! Anyway, it's pretty neat how you used the dashed lines for cells.
            ! Have to remember that trick for the future!

            Thanks, Kam-Hung :-). Actually, I leveraged Kevin Lindsey's idea.

            Best regards,

            --Nikita
            http://www.cogx.com
          • Kam-Hung Soh
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8, 2006
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Nikita Ogievetsky"
              <nogievet@...> wrote:

              > Kam-Hung Soh wrote:
              >
              > ! > http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata
              > ! I got the game to work using IE6 + ASV, but not with Firefox 1.5.x (I
              > ! see the initial display but I don't see the sample patterns and I
              > ! cannot change the fertility rule).
              >
              > Hmmm... interesting.
              > I have not looked diligently... is there a page that tracks SVG features
              > supported by Firefox?
              > At the first glance, I cannot get JavaScript to run on FireFox.
              > What am I missing?

              The SVG features supported by Firefox can be found here:
              http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_in_Firefox_1.5

              When I reload your URL and use the Firefox Javascript console (in
              Tools / Javascript Console), I see a list of CSS attribute errors and
              a Javascript object error.

              Most of the CSS errors seem straightforward to fix, just typos (e.g.
              transposed "e" and "i" in "font-wieght") and fonts requiring a unit
              (e.g. "12px" instead of "12"). I think "cursor" isn't an attribute in
              the CSS standard but I don't know why "text-anchor" has an error.

              Regarding the object error, it looks like Firefox references the SVG
              document differently from ASV. This page has an explanation:

              http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG:Scripting

              I haven't yet used Javascript + SVG in Firefox (it's on the list of
              things to learn), so I hope that works!

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 15, 2006
                Hi Kam-Hung,

                Sorry I was a bit slow with the reply.
                Thanks for your comments - The SVG Cellular Automata now works in
                FireFox, at least "rect" method:
                http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata

                1) I could not make typing to work - onkeypress does not fire [1], so
                one has to click links in the text below;

                2) lines seam to ignore dash array, so "lines" method does not work
                in FF yet.

                3) Some CSS styles do not work, especially related to font.

                4) Strangely, <path> elements do not display, for example:
                <path fill="#123456" d="M399 1,799 399,1 399,z" />

                Please let me know if I am missing something.

                With SVG Cellular Automata one can compare ASV and FF SVG performance,
                seams that so far ASV3 performs better. I will use it to benchmark
                performance as new FF versions are coming out.

                [1] eventsdo not fire:
                <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
                <g onkeypress="alert('g keypress')" onkeydown="alert('g keydown')">
                <rect x="0" y="0" width="800" height="400"
                style="stroke:black;fill:#ffffcc" onkeypress="alert('rect keypress')"
                onkeydown="alert('rect keydown')"/>
                </g>
                </svg>

                Thanks all,

                --Nikita
                http://www.cogx.com

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Kam-Hung Soh"

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 15, 2006
                  Hi Kam-Hung,

                  <kamhung.soh@...> wrote:

                  > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Nikita Ogievetsky"
                  > <nogievet@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Kam-Hung Soh wrote:
                  > >
                  > > ! > http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:svgautomata
                  > > ! I got the game to work using IE6 + ASV, but not with Firefox
                  1.5.x (I
                  > > ! see the initial display but I don't see the sample patterns and
                  > > ! cannot change the fertility rule).
                  > >
                  > > Hmmm... interesting.
                  > > I have not looked diligently... is there a page that tracks SVG
                  features
                  > > supported by Firefox?
                  > > At the first glance, I cannot get JavaScript to run on FireFox.
                  > > What am I missing?
                  >
                  > The SVG features supported by Firefox can be found here:
                  > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_in_Firefox_1.5
                  >
                  > When I reload your URL and use the Firefox Javascript console (in
                  > Tools / Javascript Console), I see a list of CSS attribute errors
                  and
                  > a Javascript object error.
                  >
                  > Most of the CSS errors seem straightforward to fix, just typos (e.g.
                  > transposed "e" and "i" in "font-wieght") and fonts requiring a unit
                  > (e.g. "12px" instead of "12"). I think "cursor" isn't an attribute
                  in
                  > the CSS standard but I don't know why "text-anchor" has an error.
                  >
                  > Regarding the object error, it looks like Firefox references the SVG
                  > document differently from ASV. This page has an explanation:
                  >
                  > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG:Scripting
                  >
                  > I haven't yet used Javascript + SVG in Firefox (it's on the list of
                  > things to learn), so I hope that works!
                  >
                  > --
                  > Kam-Hung Soh
                  > http://kamhungsoh.blogspot.com - It Mostly Works
                  > http://members.optusnet.com.au/~khsoh - Software That Mostly Works

                • pilatfr
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 16, 2006
                    --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "nogievet" <nogievet@...>
                    wrote:

                    To solve some problems with FF 1.5 :
                    > 1) I could not make typing to work - onkeypress does not fire [1]

                    Use ( svgdoc is SVGDocument )
                    svgdoc.rootElement.addEventListener("keypress",your_function,false)

                    > 2) lines seam to ignore dash array, so "lines" method does not work
                    > in FF yet.

                    Use , as separator
                    Example stroke-dasharray="5,5,10,10"

                    > 4) Strangely, <path> elements do not display, for example:
                    > <path fill="#123456" d="M399 1,799 399,1 399,z" />

                    Use L or l for next point
                    d="M399 1L799 399L1 399z"

                    > With SVG Cellular Automata one can compare ASV and FF SVG
                    performance,
                    > seams that so far ASV3 performs better. I will use it to benchmark
                    > performance as new FF versions are coming out.

                    In fact, when we create/modify svg objects on user action, it's
                    impossible in FF 1.5 to get objects in real time, I adapt my tool
                    about Penrose tiles and if user modify primary tile time required by
                    FF to draw new tile make that tool cannot be used with FF 1.5. Opera
                    9 beta has better perfomance but Adobe plugin remain the best!

                    For people saying that Adobe plugin is not "dans les clous" for W3
                    specifications, questions 2) and 4) show that Firefox don't respect
                    specifications also ...

                    Michel

                  • thomas.deweese@kodak.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 16, 2006
                      Hi all,

                      Just to set the record straight:
                      FF is correct on #2, you must use commas between stroke-dasharray
                      entries:
                      http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/painting.html#StrokeProperties

                      'stroke-dasharray' controls the pattern of dashes and gaps used to

                      stroke paths. <dasharray> contains a list of comma-separated (with

                      optional white space) <length>s that specify the lengths of
                      alternating
                      dashes and gaps. If an odd number of values is provided, then the
                      list
                      of values is repeated to yield an even number of values.

                      FF _is_ wrong on #4 however:
                      http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/paths.html#PathDataMovetoCommands

                      If a moveto is followed by multiple pairs of coordinates, the
                      subsequent
                      pairs are treated as implicit lineto commands.

                      In general FF does a pretty good job. My guess is the implementers
                      missed this
                      one sentence in the spec (this behavior should really be given 'more
                      press' so
                      to speak).

                    • nogievet
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 17, 2006
                        Hi Michel,

                        Thank you for your help!
                        Now my SVG Cellular automata is fully functional in FF.

                        Additionally had to change some CSS declarations:
                        1) text-anchor=> text-align
                        2) font-size:12 did not work without specifying "px", I am not sure
                        that it is reasonable...

                        Your Penrose tiles are really cool, by the way!
                        (as well as other games and gadgets)

                        Thanks,

                        --Nikita

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 17, 2006
                          Hi Thomas,

                          I agree with you, FF developers are doing great job!
                          Also, in my tests, FF performance is just about 20-30 % behind ASV.
                          I hope that this will improve in the future.

                          --Nikita
                          http://www.cogx.com