Re: IE7 / SVG/ASV3

  • Francis Hemsher
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Schiller"
      <jeff_schiller@...> wrote:

      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
      > <Francis.Hemsher@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Ronan,
      > >
      > > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups
      nor
      > > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
      > >
      > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe
      ActiveX
      > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
      > > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers
      > > use IE7 as their development environment.
      > >
      > > Francis
      > >

      > Francis,
      >
      > I saw that - but I thought it was a little naive. Why would
      Microsoft
      > bundle a competitor's plugin into their product when they have
      > competing technology that they want to succeed?
      >
      > I wish (hope?) it would happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
      >
      > Jeff

      Jeff,
      Bet on it.
      Francis
    • Francis Hemsher
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hi Domenico,
        You're my most favored poetic guy on this list. Did you have a grand
        time on your vacation? I hope you met your significant other.
        Anyway, back in trenches of SVG, much can happen below the radar of
        the validators.

        I believe the worm has turned..stay tuned.

        Francis

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "domenico_strazzullo"
        <nst@...> wrote:

        > Hi Francis,
        >
        > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe
        ActiveX
        > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release
        >
        > Do you mean that actually is the case?? I didn't disinstall ASV3
        > check (haven't read the doc either, booh).
        >
        > Domenico
        >

        > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
        > <Francis.Hemsher@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Ronan,
        > >
        > > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups
        nor
        > > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
        > >
        > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe
        ActiveX
        > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
        > > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers
        > > use IE7 as their development environment.
        > >
        > > Francis
        > >

        > > > Francis,
        > > >
        > > > Interesting, and good to hear that IE7 is reasonable
        performant.
        > > What was the
        > > > SVG-viewer you were using, and what was the hardware
        > performance?
        > > Were you
        > > > using ASV3 as a plugin?
        > > >
        > > > Ronan

        > those
        > > who
        > 3.
        > > What
        > > your
        > > development.

        > > click "edit my
        > > > >

        > > > --
        > > > Ronan Oger
        > > > Director
        > > > RO IT Systems GmbH
        > > > ...Building Web2.0 with SVG since 2001
        > > >
        > > > http://www.roitsystems.com

      • Robert Russell
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
          Sounds like a fantastic idea. Didn't they bundle Flashplayer and
          RealPlayer with IE at one point? Why not ASV?

          And if MS doesn't go for it, then there are always gateway, dell, hp,
          acer and other pc manufacturers. They package a bunch of software on
          the PCs they ship, why not throw ASV in there?

          Good luck, I'd love to see it happen.

          <jeff_schiller@...> wrote:

          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
          > <Francis.Hemsher@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Ronan,
          > >
          > > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups nor
          > > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
          > >
          > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe ActiveX
          > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
          > > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers to
          > > use IE7 as their development environment.
          > >
          > > Francis
          > >

          > Francis,
          >
          > I saw that - but I thought it was a little naive. Why would Microsoft
          > bundle a competitor's plugin into their product when they have
          > competing technology that they want to succeed?
          >
          > I wish (hope?) it would happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Jeff Schiller
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
            FYI, this already happens with Safari (which I was pleasantly
            surprised to find out). I'll keep my fingers crossed, it will
            certainly help adoption...

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Russell"
            <robertjrussell@...> wrote:

            > Sounds like a fantastic idea. Didn't they bundle Flashplayer and
            > RealPlayer with IE at one point? Why not ASV?
            >
            > And if MS doesn't go for it, then there are always gateway, dell, hp,
            > acer and other pc manufacturers. They package a bunch of software on
            > the PCs they ship, why not throw ASV in there?
            >
            > Good luck, I'd love to see it happen.
            >

            > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Schiller"
            > <jeff_schiller@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
            > > <Francis.Hemsher@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Ronan,
            > > >
            > > > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups nor
            > > > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
            > > >
            > > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe ActiveX
            > > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
            > > > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers to
            > > > use IE7 as their development environment.
            > > >
            > > > Francis
            > > >

            > > Francis,
            > >
            > > I saw that - but I thought it was a little naive. Why would Microsoft
            > > bundle a competitor's plugin into their product when they have
            > > competing technology that they want to succeed?
            > >
            > > I wish (hope?) it would happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
            > >
            > > Jeff

          • domenico_strazzullo
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
              <Francis.Hemsher@...> wrote:

              > Hi Domenico,
              > You're my most favored poetic guy on this list. Did you have a
              grand
              > time on your vacation? I hope you met your significant other.

              No, but I finally met with Nirvana, she says hello to anyone who's
              still looking for her.

              > Anyway, back in trenches of SVG, much can happen below the radar
              of
              > the validators.
              >
              > I believe the worm has turned..stay tuned.
              >
              > Francis

              Agree. Intersting that the link to ASV3 on MS add-ons page points to
              CNET download.com and not to Adobe (or maybe it's always been like
              that?).

              Domenico

              > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "domenico_strazzullo"
              > <nst@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Francis,
              > >
              > > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe
              > ActiveX
              > > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release
              > >
              > > Do you mean that actually is the case?? I didn't disinstall ASV3
              > > check (haven't read the doc either, booh).
              > >
              > > Domenico
              > >

              > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
              > > <Francis.Hemsher@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Ronan,
              > > >
              > > > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups
              > nor
              > > > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
              > > >
              > > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe
              > ActiveX
              > > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed).
              The
              > > > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers
              > > > use IE7 as their development environment.
              > > >
              > > > Francis

              > performant.
              > > > What was the
              > > performance?
              > > > Were you

              > > those
              > > > who
              Viewer
              > > 3.
              > > > What
              > supports
              > > > your
              > > > development.

              > > > click "edit my

            • Francis Hemsher
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
                Francis:
                >> Did you have a grand
                >> time on your vacation? I hope you met your significant other.

                Dominico:
                > No, but I finally met with Nirvana, she says hello to anyone who's
                > still looking for her.

                Shucks, 20 years ago I met her Amsterdam...tell her I said hi(hope she
                remembers).

                Francis