IE7 / SVG/ASV3

  • Francis Hemsher
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
      I've tested IE7 beta 2 and find it seamless and worthy for those who
      have developed SVG in the IE browser, using Adobe SVG Viewer 3. What
      this means is that the IE browser of the future fully supports your
      efforts of the past.
      Also, it provides a stable environment for your future development.

      Regards,
      Francis
    • Ronan Oger
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
        Francis,

        Interesting, and good to hear that IE7 is reasonable performant. What was the
        SVG-viewer you were using, and what was the hardware performance? Were you
        using ASV3 as a plugin?

        Ronan

        --
        Ronan Oger
        Director

        http://www.roitsystems.com
      • kggsystem
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
          Wow, that was fast! IE7 Beta 2 was only released yesterday. Has
          anybody tried SVG (ASV 3) on IE 7 Beta 1? I tried it and couldn't get
          the ASV control to "site".

          Also I am sitting in a Windows Vista (longhorn) training session
          trying to drop the SVG Control on a VB Form and hook it's SRC property
          up to a SVG file sitting on my desktop.

          It doesn't seem to work. Anybody played with SVG on Vista betas

          Kevin
        • Jeff Rafter
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
            kggsystem wrote:
            > Wow, that was fast! IE7 Beta 2 was only released yesterday. Has
            > anybody tried SVG (ASV 3) on IE 7 Beta 1? I tried it and couldn't get
            > the ASV control to "site".
            >
            > Also I am sitting in a Windows Vista (longhorn) training session
            > trying to drop the SVG Control on a VB Form and hook it's SRC property
            > up to a SVG file sitting on my desktop.
            >
            > It doesn't seem to work. Anybody played with SVG on Vista betas

            That didn't work properly in XP / 2000 / 98 either... It may be the same
            error though I suspect not-- but it is nothing new. It would work in
            some situations but generally it did not.

            Jeff
          • Francis Hemsher
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
              Hi Ronan,

              Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups nor
              trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.

              I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe ActiveX
              SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
              intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers to
              use IE7 as their development environment.

              Francis

              > Francis,
              >
              > Interesting, and good to hear that IE7 is reasonable performant.
              What was the
              > SVG-viewer you were using, and what was the hardware performance?
              Were you
              > using ASV3 as a plugin?
              >
              > Ronan
              >
              > On Wednesday 01 February 2006 11:02, Francis Hemsher wrote:
              > > I've tested IE7 beta 2 and find it seamless and worthy for those
              who
              > > have developed SVG in the IE browser, using Adobe SVG Viewer 3.
              What
              > > this means is that the IE browser of the future fully supports
              your
              > > efforts of the past.
              > > Also, it provides a stable environment for your future
              development.

              > > Regards,
              > > Francis
              > >

              > > -----
              > > To unsubscribe send a message to:
              click "edit my
              > > membership" ----
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              > --
              > Ronan Oger
              > Director
              > RO IT Systems GmbH
              > ...Building Web2.0 with SVG since 2001
              >
              > http://www.roitsystems.com

            • Jeff Schiller
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
                <Francis.Hemsher@...> wrote:

                > Hi Ronan,
                >
                > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups nor
                > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
                >
                > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe ActiveX
                > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
                > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers to
                > use IE7 as their development environment.
                >
                > Francis

                Francis,

                I saw that - but I thought it was a little naive. Why would Microsoft
                bundle a competitor's plugin into their product when they have
                competing technology that they want to succeed?

                I wish (hope?) it would happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

                Jeff
              • domenico_strazzullo
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Hi Francis,

                  > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe ActiveX
                  > SVG viewer with the IE7 release

                  Do you mean that actually is the case?? I didn't disinstall ASV3 to
                  check (haven't read the doc either, booh).

                  Domenico

                  <Francis.Hemsher@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Ronan,
                  >
                  > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups nor
                  > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
                  >
                  > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe ActiveX
                  > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
                  > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers to
                  > use IE7 as their development environment.
                  >
                  > Francis
                  >

                  > > Francis,
                  > >
                  > > Interesting, and good to hear that IE7 is reasonable performant.
                  > What was the
                  > > SVG-viewer you were using, and what was the hardware
                  performance?
                  > Were you
                  > > using ASV3 as a plugin?
                  > >
                  > > Ronan
                  > >
                  > > On Wednesday 01 February 2006 11:02, Francis Hemsher wrote:
                  > > > I've tested IE7 beta 2 and find it seamless and worthy for
                  those
                  > who
                  > > > have developed SVG in the IE browser, using Adobe SVG Viewer
                  3.
                  > What
                  > > > this means is that the IE browser of the future fully supports
                  > your
                  > > > efforts of the past.
                  > > > Also, it provides a stable environment for your future
                  > development.
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards,
                  > > > Francis
                  > > >

                  > > > -----
                  > > > To unsubscribe send a message to:
                  > click "edit my
                  > > > membership" ----
                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > > >

                  > > --
                  > > Ronan Oger
                  > > Director
                  > > RO IT Systems GmbH
                  > > ...Building Web2.0 with SVG since 2001
                  > >
                  > > http://www.roitsystems.com

                • Francis Hemsher
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                    --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Schiller"
                    <jeff_schiller@...> wrote:

                    > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
                    > <Francis.Hemsher@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Ronan,
                    > >
                    > > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups
                    nor
                    > > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
                    > >
                    > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe
                    ActiveX
                    > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
                    > > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers
                    > > use IE7 as their development environment.
                    > >
                    > > Francis
                    > >

                    > Francis,
                    >
                    > I saw that - but I thought it was a little naive. Why would
                    Microsoft
                    > bundle a competitor's plugin into their product when they have
                    > competing technology that they want to succeed?
                    >
                    > I wish (hope?) it would happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
                    >
                    > Jeff

                    Jeff,
                    Bet on it.
                    Francis
                  • Francis Hemsher
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Hi Domenico,
                      You're my most favored poetic guy on this list. Did you have a grand
                      time on your vacation? I hope you met your significant other.
                      Anyway, back in trenches of SVG, much can happen below the radar of
                      the validators.

                      I believe the worm has turned..stay tuned.

                      Francis

                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "domenico_strazzullo"
                      <nst@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Francis,
                      >
                      > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe
                      ActiveX
                      > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release
                      >
                      > Do you mean that actually is the case?? I didn't disinstall ASV3
                      > check (haven't read the doc either, booh).
                      >
                      > Domenico
                      >

                      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
                      > <Francis.Hemsher@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Ronan,
                      > >
                      > > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups
                      nor
                      > > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
                      > >
                      > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe
                      ActiveX
                      > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
                      > > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers
                      > > use IE7 as their development environment.
                      > >
                      > > Francis
                      > >

                      > > > Francis,
                      > > >
                      > > > Interesting, and good to hear that IE7 is reasonable
                      performant.
                      > > What was the
                      > > > SVG-viewer you were using, and what was the hardware
                      > performance?
                      > > Were you
                      > > > using ASV3 as a plugin?
                      > > >
                      > > > Ronan

                      > those
                      > > who
                      > 3.
                      > > What
                      > > your
                      > > development.

                      > > click "edit my
                      > > > >

                      > > > --
                      > > > Ronan Oger
                      > > > Director
                      > > > RO IT Systems GmbH
                      > > > ...Building Web2.0 with SVG since 2001
                      > > >
                      > > > http://www.roitsystems.com

                    • Robert Russell
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                        Sounds like a fantastic idea. Didn't they bundle Flashplayer and
                        RealPlayer with IE at one point? Why not ASV?

                        And if MS doesn't go for it, then there are always gateway, dell, hp,
                        acer and other pc manufacturers. They package a bunch of software on
                        the PCs they ship, why not throw ASV in there?

                        Good luck, I'd love to see it happen.

                        <jeff_schiller@...> wrote:

                        > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
                        > <Francis.Hemsher@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Ronan,
                        > >
                        > > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups nor
                        > > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
                        > >
                        > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe ActiveX
                        > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
                        > > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers to
                        > > use IE7 as their development environment.
                        > >
                        > > Francis
                        > >

                        > Francis,
                        >
                        > I saw that - but I thought it was a little naive. Why would Microsoft
                        > bundle a competitor's plugin into their product when they have
                        > competing technology that they want to succeed?
                        >
                        > I wish (hope?) it would happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
                        >
                        > Jeff

                      • Jeff Schiller
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
                          FYI, this already happens with Safari (which I was pleasantly
                          surprised to find out). I'll keep my fingers crossed, it will
                          certainly help adoption...

                          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Russell"
                          <robertjrussell@...> wrote:

                          > Sounds like a fantastic idea. Didn't they bundle Flashplayer and
                          > RealPlayer with IE at one point? Why not ASV?
                          >
                          > And if MS doesn't go for it, then there are always gateway, dell, hp,
                          > acer and other pc manufacturers. They package a bunch of software on
                          > the PCs they ship, why not throw ASV in there?
                          >
                          > Good luck, I'd love to see it happen.
                          >

                          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Schiller"
                          > <jeff_schiller@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
                          > > <Francis.Hemsher@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Ronan,
                          > > >
                          > > > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups nor
                          > > > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
                          > > >
                          > > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe ActiveX
                          > > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed). The
                          > > > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers to
                          > > > use IE7 as their development environment.
                          > > >
                          > > > Francis
                          > > >

                          > > Francis,
                          > >
                          > > I saw that - but I thought it was a little naive. Why would Microsoft
                          > > bundle a competitor's plugin into their product when they have
                          > > competing technology that they want to succeed?
                          > >
                          > > I wish (hope?) it would happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
                          > >
                          > > Jeff

                        • domenico_strazzullo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
                            <Francis.Hemsher@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Domenico,
                            > You're my most favored poetic guy on this list. Did you have a
                            grand
                            > time on your vacation? I hope you met your significant other.

                            No, but I finally met with Nirvana, she says hello to anyone who's
                            still looking for her.

                            > Anyway, back in trenches of SVG, much can happen below the radar
                            of
                            > the validators.
                            >
                            > I believe the worm has turned..stay tuned.
                            >
                            > Francis

                            Agree. Intersting that the link to ASV3 on MS add-ons page points to
                            CNET download.com and not to Adobe (or maybe it's always been like
                            that?).

                            Domenico

                            > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "domenico_strazzullo"
                            > <nst@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Francis,
                            > >
                            > > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe
                            > ActiveX
                            > > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release
                            > >
                            > > Do you mean that actually is the case?? I didn't disinstall ASV3
                            > > check (haven't read the doc either, booh).
                            > >
                            > > Domenico
                            > >

                            > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
                            > > <Francis.Hemsher@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi Ronan,
                            > > >
                            > > > Of course, the ASV3 was a plugin. It worked great..no hiccups
                            > nor
                            > > > trying to make it 'fit', in a very sophisticated app.
                            > > >
                            > > > I've made a request to MS to consider packaging the Adobe
                            > ActiveX
                            > > > SVG viewer with the IE7 release(no download plugin needed).
                            The
                            > > > intent being that it would provide incentive to SVG developers
                            > > > use IE7 as their development environment.
                            > > >
                            > > > Francis

                            > performant.
                            > > > What was the
                            > > performance?
                            > > > Were you

                            > > those
                            > > > who
                            Viewer
                            > > 3.
                            > > > What
                            > supports
                            > > > your
                            > > > development.

                            > > > click "edit my

                          • Francis Hemsher
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
                              Francis:
                              >> Did you have a grand
                              >> time on your vacation? I hope you met your significant other.

                              Dominico:
                              > No, but I finally met with Nirvana, she says hello to anyone who's
                              > still looking for her.

                              Shucks, 20 years ago I met her Amsterdam...tell her I said hi(hope she
                              remembers).

                              Francis