Re: SVG-friendly Ajax frameworks

  • jeff_schiller
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ley" <jim@j...> wrote:

      > "jeff_schiller" <jeff_schiller@h...> wrote in message
      > > As far as I understand things, getURL() is ONLY for
      > > asynchronous calls only and cannot be used for both synchronous and
      > > asynchronous requests like XMLHttpRequest can.
      >
      > You should _never_ do synchronous requests on the web, it's a complete
      > recipe for disaster, it locks up the UI whilst waiting for the
      return, it
      > has never complete problems in a number of browsers including Internet
      > Explorer - even without the obvious problem with HTTP being limited
      to 2
      > connections, and it's trivial to have multiple applications
      accessing the
      > same site at the same time.
      >
      > Jim.

      Jim,

      I'm aware of the limited use (or appeal) of synchronous requests. I
      was just trying to make the point that existing Ajax frameworks cannot
      necessarily be fully adapted to the ASV JS engine, since the ASV JS
      engine doesn't allow everything that XMLHttpRequest allows you to do.
      In other words, if someone is going to go out there and update
      Sarissa or any Ajax framework to support the ASV JS engine, they
      should be aware that only asynchronous calls will be possible.

      Regards,
      Jeff
    • Piero Cavalieri
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
        I think u could use existing Ajax frameworks without modify it. For
        example I use Ajax .NET with svg, but I had to embed svg in aspx page.
        If you don't want to embed it, I think u should extend the library to
        add getURL support (but I didn't try it). For AJAX .NET there seems to
        be only one file to modify: ajax.js. Let me know if u do the job.

        Cheers
        Piero

        Robert Russell ha scritto:

        > If I were looking for an existing framework for ajax that would be
        > easy to extend for SVG, where should I look? Anyone have experiences
        > or examples they'd like to share?

        > membership"

        Il contenuto di questo messaggio e' confidenziale e la lettura non
        autorizzata dello stesso viola i diritti di privacy del mittente e del
        destinatario.

        Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore siete pregati di
        rimuoverlo dal Vostro sistema.
      • Ronan Oger
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
          I am also doing the same thing: modifying a current ajax framework (Perl's
          very nice CGI::Ajax module) to work with native (or at least stand-alone) SVG
          as well rather than to rely on embedded content.

          I do not recommend building anything new around adobe's getURL functionality
          unless you also provide support for native javascript support. Building your
          application around a plugin that is 3 years out of date is a serious
          strategic mistake considering that there are four alternate sources of
          browsers out there that provide the same functionality natively...

          I suggest that you use the native javascript http support instead.

          Ronan

          On Thursday 03 November 2005 01:53, Piero Cavalieri wrote:
          > I think u could use existing Ajax frameworks without modify it. For
          > example I use Ajax .NET with svg, but I had to embed svg in aspx page.
          > If you don't want to embed it, I think u should extend the library  to
          > add getURL support  (but I didn't try it). For AJAX .NET there seems to
          > be only one file to modify: ajax.js. Let me know if u do the job.
          >
          > Cheers
          >     Piero
          >
          > Robert Russell ha scritto:
          > > If I were looking for an existing framework for ajax that would be
          > > easy to extend for SVG, where should I look? Anyone have experiences
          > > or examples they'd like to share?
          > >

          > > -----
          > > To unsubscribe send a message to:
          > > -or-
          > > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my
          > > membership"
          > > ----

          > >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          > >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          > --
          > Il contenuto di questo messaggio e' confidenziale e la lettura non
          > autorizzata dello stesso viola i diritti di privacy del mittente e del
          > destinatario.
          >
          > Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore siete pregati di
          > rimuoverlo dal Vostro sistema.

          > membership" ----

          > Computer internet security Computer internet business Computer internet
          > access Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help How
          > to format a computer hard drive
          >

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          >  Visit your group "svg-developers" on the web.

          Ronan Oger
          Founding Partner, Vectoreal
          http://www.vectoreal.com

          Reply to: ronan dot oger at vectoreal dot com

          Vectoreal
          ...for scaleable solutions

          Vectoreal is a Web2.0 company.
          We provide standards-compliant XML user-interface
          and graphics solutions for the web using
          SVG and other vector graphics standards.

          Tel: (CH) +41 76 527 3552
          Tel: (CA) +1 604 608 2968
          Fax: (CH) +41 44 274 2402
          Fax: (CA) +1 604 608 2968
        • Piero Cavalieri
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
            Ronan Oger ha scritto:

            > Building your application around a plugin that is 3 years out of date
            > is a serious
            > strategic mistake considering that there are four alternate sources of
            > browsers out there that provide the same functionality natively...

            Does anyone know what's the reason Adobe seems to be no more interested
            in SVG ? Do will have IE7 native svg support ?

            Piero

            --
            Il contenuto di questo messaggio e' confidenziale e la lettura non
            autorizzata dello stesso viola i diritti di privacy del mittente e del
            destinatario.

            Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore siete pregati di
            rimuoverlo dal Vostro sistema.
          • John
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Piero Cavalieri
              <piero.cavalieri@h...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know what's the reason Adobe seems to be
              > no more interested in SVG ?

              Adobe bought another proprietary graphics format and responsibility
              for employing some of the people who sell it. So now Adobe has two
              proprietary graphics formats to support. Engineers inside Adobe may
              still participate in standards committees as long as they do not make
              public statements committing Adobe to implementing standards.

              > Do will have IE7 native svg support ?

              Microsoft will add SVG to IE after Google introduces new products that
              publish content as SVG.

              -- John
            • Robert Russell
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
                Maybe "modify" is the wrong word. Perhaps "augment" is more apropos of
                what I'm thinking. I want to pick up a framework that I can easily add
                in to projects that I'm working on, but I want something that will be
                friendly with the common scripting patterns applied with SVG. I need
                to do more research on the subject.

                I put a podcast up on my blog that talks a little more about my
                intentions if I can get the right framework to build on - it's at
                http://rr.latenightpc.com/wp/archives/2005/11/03/put-some-svg-on-it/ .

                And I should have stated earlier that my server side is PHP on Apache.