Re: SVG-friendly Ajax frameworks

  • Jim Ley
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
      "jeff_schiller" <jeff_schiller@...> wrote in message
      > As far as I understand things, getURL() is ONLY for
      > asynchronous calls only and cannot be used for both synchronous and
      > asynchronous requests like XMLHttpRequest can.

      You should _never_ do synchronous requests on the web, it's a complete
      recipe for disaster, it locks up the UI whilst waiting for the return, it
      has never complete problems in a number of browsers including Internet
      Explorer - even without the obvious problem with HTTP being limited to 2
      connections, and it's trivial to have multiple applications accessing the
      same site at the same time.

      Jim.
    • jeff_schiller
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ley" <jim@j...> wrote:

        > "jeff_schiller" <jeff_schiller@h...> wrote in message
        > > As far as I understand things, getURL() is ONLY for
        > > asynchronous calls only and cannot be used for both synchronous and
        > > asynchronous requests like XMLHttpRequest can.
        >
        > You should _never_ do synchronous requests on the web, it's a complete
        > recipe for disaster, it locks up the UI whilst waiting for the
        return, it
        > has never complete problems in a number of browsers including Internet
        > Explorer - even without the obvious problem with HTTP being limited
        to 2
        > connections, and it's trivial to have multiple applications
        accessing the
        > same site at the same time.
        >
        > Jim.

        Jim,

        I'm aware of the limited use (or appeal) of synchronous requests. I
        was just trying to make the point that existing Ajax frameworks cannot
        necessarily be fully adapted to the ASV JS engine, since the ASV JS
        engine doesn't allow everything that XMLHttpRequest allows you to do.
        In other words, if someone is going to go out there and update
        Sarissa or any Ajax framework to support the ASV JS engine, they
        should be aware that only asynchronous calls will be possible.

        Regards,
        Jeff
      • Piero Cavalieri
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
          I think u could use existing Ajax frameworks without modify it. For
          example I use Ajax .NET with svg, but I had to embed svg in aspx page.
          If you don't want to embed it, I think u should extend the library to
          add getURL support (but I didn't try it). For AJAX .NET there seems to
          be only one file to modify: ajax.js. Let me know if u do the job.

          Cheers
          Piero

          Robert Russell ha scritto:

          > If I were looking for an existing framework for ajax that would be
          > easy to extend for SVG, where should I look? Anyone have experiences
          > or examples they'd like to share?

          > membership"

          Il contenuto di questo messaggio e' confidenziale e la lettura non
          autorizzata dello stesso viola i diritti di privacy del mittente e del
          destinatario.

          Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore siete pregati di
          rimuoverlo dal Vostro sistema.
        • Ronan Oger
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
            I am also doing the same thing: modifying a current ajax framework (Perl's
            very nice CGI::Ajax module) to work with native (or at least stand-alone) SVG
            as well rather than to rely on embedded content.

            I do not recommend building anything new around adobe's getURL functionality
            unless you also provide support for native javascript support. Building your
            application around a plugin that is 3 years out of date is a serious
            strategic mistake considering that there are four alternate sources of
            browsers out there that provide the same functionality natively...

            I suggest that you use the native javascript http support instead.

            Ronan

            On Thursday 03 November 2005 01:53, Piero Cavalieri wrote:
            > I think u could use existing Ajax frameworks without modify it. For
            > example I use Ajax .NET with svg, but I had to embed svg in aspx page.
            > If you don't want to embed it, I think u should extend the library  to
            > add getURL support  (but I didn't try it). For AJAX .NET there seems to
            > be only one file to modify: ajax.js. Let me know if u do the job.
            >
            > Cheers
            >     Piero
            >
            > Robert Russell ha scritto:
            > > If I were looking for an existing framework for ajax that would be
            > > easy to extend for SVG, where should I look? Anyone have experiences
            > > or examples they'd like to share?
            > >

            > > -----
            > > To unsubscribe send a message to:
            > > -or-
            > > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my
            > > membership"
            > > ----

            > >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            > --
            > Il contenuto di questo messaggio e' confidenziale e la lettura non
            > autorizzata dello stesso viola i diritti di privacy del mittente e del
            > destinatario.
            >
            > Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore siete pregati di
            > rimuoverlo dal Vostro sistema.

            > membership" ----

            > Computer internet security Computer internet business Computer internet
            > access Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help How
            > to format a computer hard drive
            >

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            >  Visit your group "svg-developers" on the web.

            Ronan Oger
            Founding Partner, Vectoreal
            http://www.vectoreal.com

            Reply to: ronan dot oger at vectoreal dot com

            Vectoreal
            ...for scaleable solutions

            Vectoreal is a Web2.0 company.
            We provide standards-compliant XML user-interface
            and graphics solutions for the web using
            SVG and other vector graphics standards.

            Tel: (CH) +41 76 527 3552
            Tel: (CA) +1 604 608 2968
            Fax: (CH) +41 44 274 2402
            Fax: (CA) +1 604 608 2968
          • Piero Cavalieri
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
              Ronan Oger ha scritto:

              > Building your application around a plugin that is 3 years out of date
              > is a serious
              > strategic mistake considering that there are four alternate sources of
              > browsers out there that provide the same functionality natively...

              Does anyone know what's the reason Adobe seems to be no more interested
              in SVG ? Do will have IE7 native svg support ?

              Piero

              --
              Il contenuto di questo messaggio e' confidenziale e la lettura non
              autorizzata dello stesso viola i diritti di privacy del mittente e del
              destinatario.

              Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore siete pregati di
              rimuoverlo dal Vostro sistema.
            • John
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Piero Cavalieri
                <piero.cavalieri@h...> wrote:

                > Does anyone know what's the reason Adobe seems to be
                > no more interested in SVG ?

                Adobe bought another proprietary graphics format and responsibility
                for employing some of the people who sell it. So now Adobe has two
                proprietary graphics formats to support. Engineers inside Adobe may
                still participate in standards committees as long as they do not make
                public statements committing Adobe to implementing standards.

                > Do will have IE7 native svg support ?

                Microsoft will add SVG to IE after Google introduces new products that
                publish content as SVG.

                -- John
              • Robert Russell
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
                  Maybe "modify" is the wrong word. Perhaps "augment" is more apropos of
                  what I'm thinking. I want to pick up a framework that I can easily add
                  in to projects that I'm working on, but I want something that will be
                  friendly with the common scripting patterns applied with SVG. I need
                  to do more research on the subject.

                  I put a podcast up on my blog that talks a little more about my
                  intentions if I can get the right framework to build on - it's at
                  http://rr.latenightpc.com/wp/archives/2005/11/03/put-some-svg-on-it/ .

                  And I should have stated earlier that my server side is PHP on Apache.