reading RGB value from pixel in SVG

  • david dailey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2005
      Okay, this list has helped me learn three things in four days so I am
      hoping it survives the NS turmoil long enough to answer a couple of
      more questions.

      1. I know SVG is not meant for manipulating bitmaps, but the filters
      it has do some pretty nifty bitmap-ish things on the fly. Can I
      determine the RGB value of a pixel on the SVG screen? The reason I
      think it might be possible is that you can distort an image according
      to color channel values using something like
      <feDisplacementMap scale="20" id="feDM"
      xChannelSelector="R"
      in="SourceGraphic" in2="grad"/>

      See for example http://marble.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/embedmask4.html
      for a dynamic use of gradients to make a bitmap have pond-ripples (it
      doesn't work in anything but IE/ASV at the moment). So somewhere in
      the engine that is doing this work it knows what the red channel
      value is at point (x,y).

      questions 2 and 3 to follow.

      TIA,
      DD