Re: [svg-developers] Path and brush

  • ml.winter@carto.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
      hi jaroen,

      as far as i know, no. another way of droing complex lines is to create
      special fonts and align textstrings to your base line object (width
      offsets and whatever you need) , see <textPath>. basically these are
      methods know from desktop mapping that remain with SVG. but there is some
      help for cartograpy coming that may address other mapping issues, see
      <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/vectoreffects.html>.
      andré

      > Hello,
      >
      > I recently posted a question about path elements which I wanted to use
      > as streets. The conclusion was that I had to draw 2 path elements on
      > top of each other, preferably by using <use>.
      >
      > Wouldn't it be better to have a kind of "brush" (like in Adobe
      > Photoshop) in SVG, with which you can draw more complex lines easily
      > without having to do that twice? Are there plans in that direction? Or
      > am I talking nonsense here :)?
      >
      > Jeroen Vanattenhoven

      > membership" ----
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Doug Schepers
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
        Hi, Jeroen-

        | Wouldn't it be better to have a kind of "brush" (like in Adobe
        | Photoshop) in SVG, with which you can draw more complex lines
        | easily without having to do that twice? Are there plans in
        | that direction? Or am I talking nonsense here :)?

        You aren't talking nonsense at all. There are plans, in SVG 1.2 (due out
        Real Soon Now), for something called Vector Effects, which will allow you to
        do that and much more.

        When a viewer will support that is another question. Adobe almost certainly
        already has an implementation, but it's unknown if they will release a new
        viewer. There is also the Renesis viewer, due out around Q1 2006, which will
        supposedly cover everything known about SVG 1.2.

        Regards-
        Doug

        doug . schepers @ vectoreal.com
        www.vectoreal.com ...for scalable solutions.
      • Jeroen Vanattenhoven
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005

          Since I'm using eSVG for the moment, I can't wait for vector effects
          (too bad :(). Are there examples of this online, maybe on there
          carto.net site that you know of?

          Thanks