Re: Newbie SVG Developer

  • Chris Serio
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2 9:47 AM
      Thanks for the info. I was hoping to find a high level API with basic
      functions built into it like "DrawColoredRectangle
      (x,y,len,width,color)"

      There's a very near deadline on this project so i'm trying to get a
      library with the most comprehensive API i can.

      Chris

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Holger Will <holger@t...>

    • Mark Birbeck
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2 10:32 AM
        Chris,

        If I understand the app that you are describing, an API-like approach would
        be overkill. All you want to end up with is an SVG file that is passed to a
        renderer. Generating the SVG from some data source is the kind of thing SVG
        does without breaking a sweat. A simple architecture would be to get the
        data from the database into XML, and then run XSLT on it to get an SVG
        document.

        You could control that process with C++ of course -- or even better just
        stick it on a server and use Apache and Batik, or a similar combination
        (which will also make the PDF generation easier, too).

        But using C++ to step through a database and generate API calls is a lot
        more work (by an order of magnitude) than is needed here.

        Regards,

        Mark

        Mark Birbeck
        CEO
        x-port.net Ltd.

        e: Mark.Birbeck@...
        t: +44 (0) 20 7689 9232
        w: http://www.formsPlayer.com/
        b: http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/

        Download our XForms processor from
        http://www.formsPlayer.com/

      • William McKenzie
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2 10:45 AM
          What sort of c/c++ environment are you using? One option would be to find
          something like 'kode' (part of debian linux, I believe) that would generate
          c++ classes or templates from the RelaxNG schema for svg. Those classes
          could then be used to generate SVG objects. If you are in the .NET
          environment, you might want to consider using ADO.NET to get your database
          objects as XML, and then using XSLT to transform them into SVG. Really
          fairly flexible and elegant, if you can deal with XSLT.

          ~Bill

          wrote:
          > Chris Serio schrieb:
          >
          > > Hey all,
          > >
          > > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
          > > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
          > > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will
          be
          > > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some
          data
          > > in a database.
          > >
          > > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will
          have
          > > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin
          routings.
          > > >From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
          > >
          > > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there
          an
          > > SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?
          > >
          > > Thanks for any suggestions,
          > > Chris
          >
          > Hi Chris
          >
          > i dont know any c/c++ , but as svg is just plain simple xml, you
          should
          > be able to build your svgs with any xml lib.
          > for more advanced features including rendering, and rendering to
          pdf see:
          > http://cairographics.org/introduction
          > and
          > http://cairographics.org/libsvg
          >
          > or if you could use Java, there is the Apache Batik project, which
          is
          > the most complete open source SVG implementation.
          > http://xml.apache.org/batik/
          >
          > and if you are on Linux have a look at
          > http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/
          >
          > or if you plan to have a GUI , and want that to be portable, you
          migth
          > as well think of building a XUL app, using mozilla svg.
          > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/
          > http://www.xulplanet.com/
          >
          > as i said i dont know c/c++ ,
          > hope it helps anyways
          > Holger

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • r_v_putten
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2 10:47 AM

            I had sent a message 90 minutes ago, but used a wrong mail address so
            it probably got rejected... I'll just copy it here.

            One note: Mark might be right about database+xslt+whatever being
            simpler (I haven't used xslt yet), but as a proficient C/C++
            programmer who is used to working with flat ascii files, this might
            get you to the point in a shorter time, because you don't have to
            learn a new concept. If you knew you had to work on the project for
            the next 4 years, my suggestion is xslt/whatever, for a project in a
            very short time, it's C++.

            And now the old message:

            Hello Chris,

            > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
            generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
            possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
            generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some data
            in a database.

            My first suggestion is to check if Visio really can open all of SVG.
            SVG is a really complex thing, so if you take one program that outputs
            SVG, I don't think another program that inputs SVG can necessarily
            understand everything correctly.

            > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will have
            connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
            From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.

            > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there an
            SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?

            I'm a C/C++ programmer too, and if I had to do such a thing today, I
            would probable just output text files from my program. That way you
            can control what's in the SVG and that Visio will understand it. An
            XML library might be of help, but it shouldn't even be necessary. I
            think I'd chose fprintf().

            My suggestion would be to read a book about SVG and then use it like
            an operating systems drawing functions. Lines and rects are no problem
            at all, transformations and scaling is easy if you extensively used a
            graphics lib before. Reusing parts of the graphic with <defs /> and
            <use /> will come in quite handy. There are many more things that SVG
            can do but you will probably not need them.

            Just two cents from an advanced SVG beginner.

            Raoul
          • jophof007
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2 10:58 AM

              You have to write your algorithm to make the symbols on the diagram.
              You define your objects in javascript with properties and methods. The
              actual drawing can be done by putting SVG element on your canvas with
              appendChild. The SVG objects have links to the javascript objects.

              See how we did it in open-modeling look in /diagram/flowchart/ here is
              a complex algorithm to determine positions of symbols on a flowchart.
              Download it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-modeling (feedback
              welcome). In the war file you find the code. Src directories contains
              the code readable.

              John

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "r_v_putten" <r_v_putten@y...>

              > I had sent a message 90 minutes ago, but used a wrong mail address so
              > it probably got rejected... I'll just copy it here.
              >
              > One note: Mark might be right about database+xslt+whatever being
              > simpler (I haven't used xslt yet), but as a proficient C/C++
              > programmer who is used to working with flat ascii files, this might
              > get you to the point in a shorter time, because you don't have to
              > learn a new concept. If you knew you had to work on the project for
              > the next 4 years, my suggestion is xslt/whatever, for a project in a
              > very short time, it's C++.
              >
              > And now the old message:
              >
              > Hello Chris,
              >
              > > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
              > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
              > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
              > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some data
              > in a database.
              >
              > My first suggestion is to check if Visio really can open all of SVG.
              > SVG is a really complex thing, so if you take one program that outputs
              > SVG, I don't think another program that inputs SVG can necessarily
              > understand everything correctly.
              >
              > > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will have
              > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
              > From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
              > >
              > > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there an
              > SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?
              >
              > I'm a C/C++ programmer too, and if I had to do such a thing today, I
              > would probable just output text files from my program. That way you
              > can control what's in the SVG and that Visio will understand it. An
              > XML library might be of help, but it shouldn't even be necessary. I
              > think I'd chose fprintf().
              >
              > My suggestion would be to read a book about SVG and then use it like
              > an operating systems drawing functions. Lines and rects are no problem
              > at all, transformations and scaling is easy if you extensively used a
              > graphics lib before. Reusing parts of the graphic with <defs /> and
              > <use /> will come in quite handy. There are many more things that SVG
              > can do but you will probably not need them.
              >
              > Just two cents from an advanced SVG beginner.
              >
              > Raoul
            • Mark Birbeck
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2 11:09 AM
                Hi Raoul,

                > One note: Mark might be right about database+xslt+whatever
                > being simpler (I haven't used xslt yet), but as a proficient
                > C/C++ programmer who is used to working with flat ascii
                > files, this might get you to the point in a shorter time,
                > because you don't have to learn a new concept. If you knew
                > you had to work on the project for the next 4 years, my
                > suggestion is xslt/whatever, for a project in a very short
                > time, it's C++.

                I still think XML+XSLT->SVG is way ahead of C++ for this type of application
                (and I'm assuming a great deal about what Chris is trying to do, so I could
                be way off).

                formsPlayer and Sidewinder are entirely written in C++, so it's certainly
                our language of choice. But my guess is that in an application like this
                you'd spend most of your time just manipulating a DOM. Sure you can do that
                in C++, but why bother? There must be better things to do with our time!

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2 11:24 AM
                  Alot of good suggestions here guys but the bottom line is this...

                  I'm very fluent in C/C++ so I'm more comfortable doing something
                  overkill but fast than learning something new. I can't take the risk
                  in investing my limited amount of time to learning something new
                  unless i was sure that it would be a time saver. I'd prefer to stick
                  with something that i can judge the required amount of effort with.

                  Now some more about my project....All i really want is a command line
                  program that reads in a CSV excel file and spits out a SVG graphics
                  file. It doesn't need to display it or anything. I plan on taking the
                  SVG and opening it in Visio or converting it to a PDF or displaying
                  it on a website. Very basic stuff. The kinds of things i need to draw
                  are basic as well. It's all black and white with nothing more than
                  lines, boxes and text. It's just a wiring schematic. I know visio can
                  open this kind of stuff to view it.

                  I realize that i can just spit out plain text with fprintf but to do
                  so would require a pretty good knowledge of xml which i don't have. I
                  know a lot of you right now are either laughing or offended that i
                  chose to use XML with this project but i just figured that with the
                  right API, i wouldn't need to learn much XML...I could just tell the
                  API to export one of the primitives that i need and be done with it.
                  If nothing like this exists than i guess i'm going to have to do some
                  reading.

                  Thanks,
                  Chris

                • Chris Serio
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2 11:34 AM
                    Yeah i'd be using .NET. I'm not sure what XSLT is but i'm going to
                    look into it right now...The database is pretty simple but the
                    drawing needs to have some logic to it so that wires don't cross on
                    the schematic etc.

                    The database will just be a from-connector #, from-pin #, to-
                    connector #, to-pin # and some wire gauge/type for each.

                    Chris

                    --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "William McKenzie" <bill@c...>

                  • Raoul van Putten
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2 11:48 AM
                      Chris Serio wrote:
                      > Alot of good suggestions here guys but the bottom line is this...
                      >
                      > I'm very fluent in C/C++ so I'm more comfortable doing something
                      > overkill but fast than learning something new. I can't take the risk
                      > in investing my limited amount of time to learning something new
                      > unless i was sure that it would be a time saver. I'd prefer to stick
                      > with something that i can judge the required amount of effort with.

                      Just go and grab the next SVG book, that's my suggestion. And forget
                      Javascript, you most probably don't even need it _for this task_.

                      SVG is as easy as

                      <some
                      ... ununderstandable
                      ... preamble>
                      <svg>
                      <line x1="0" y1="0" x2="200" y2="200" />
                      <rect ... />
                      </svg>

                      For SVG -> pdf, I use batik. It works great! If it is an option, you
                      might want to use that.

                      Mark: I can imagine it is much more elegant, faster and more reliable to
                      use xslt, if I just knew how...

                      Raoul
                    • jophof007
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2 12:09 PM
                        Building complex logic in XSLT is very hard to do. Some if else is
                        possible but not recursion for example sometimes needed for complex
                        algorithms.

                        John

                      • William McKenzie
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2 12:27 PM
                          Actually, you can do recursion, but overall I would agree that if you want
                          to use some sort of layout logic XSLT is going to be a PITA at best. One
                          half-hearted suggestion: if you're a really experience c++ programmer,
                          rolling a quick command-line java program wouldn't be all that figure out,
                          and you could use the batik library to do it. The code at the end is a very
                          simple example from the batik site (http://xml.apache.org/batik) that
                          generates a rectangle. Other than getting the java sdk and a build
                          environment like ant, you could be up and running in minutes.

                          If you can't stand the java, I don't know of anything like this that exists
                          for c++. Since you seem to only need a very few primitives, I would
                          recommend simply creating a small utility class that carries around either a
                          System.Xml.XmlDocument or a StringBuilder class and has a few methods to
                          create the primitives you need.

                          /////////////////// Sample Batik Code /////////////////////////
                          import java.awt.Rectangle;
                          import java.awt.Graphics2D;
                          import java.awt.Color;
                          import java.io.Writer;
                          import java.io.OutputStreamWriter;
                          import java.io.IOException;
                          import org.apache.batik.svggen.SVGGraphics2D;
                          import org.apache.batik.dom.GenericDOMImplementation;
                          import org.w3c.dom.Document;
                          import org.w3c.dom.DOMImplementation;

                          public class TestSVGGen {

                          public void paint(Graphics2D g2d) {
                          g2d.setPaint(Color.red);
                          g2d.fill(new Rectangle(10, 10, 100, 100));
                          }

                          public static void main(String [] args) throws IOException {

                          // Get a DOMImplementation
                          DOMImplementation domImpl =
                          GenericDOMImplementation.getDOMImplementation();

                          // Create an instance of org.w3c.dom.Document
                          Document document = domImpl.createDocument(null, "svg", null);

                          // Create an instance of the SVG Generator
                          SVGGraphics2D svgGenerator = new SVGGraphics2D(document);

                          // Ask the test to render into the SVG Graphics2D implementation
                          TestSVGGen test = new TestSVGGen();
                          test.paint(svgGenerator);

                          // Finally, stream out SVG to the standard output using UTF-8
                          // character to byte encoding
                          boolean useCSS = true; // we want to use CSS style attribute
                          Writer out = new OutputStreamWriter(System.out, "UTF-8");
                          svgGenerator.stream(out, useCSS);

                          Building complex logic in XSLT is very hard to do. Some if else is
                          possible but not recursion for example sometimes needed for complex
                          algorithms.

                          John
                          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Serio" <chris@c...> wrote:
                          > Yeah i'd be using .NET. I'm not sure what XSLT is but i'm going to
                          > look into it right now...The database is pretty simple but the
                          > drawing needs to have some logic to it so that wires don't cross on
                          > the schematic etc.
                          >
                          > The database will just be a from-connector #, from-pin #, to-
                          > connector #, to-pin # and some wire gauge/type for each.
                          >
                          > Chris
                          >

                          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "William McKenzie" <bill@c...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > What sort of c/c++ environment are you using? One option would be
                          > to find
                          > > something like 'kode' (part of debian linux, I believe) that would
                          > generate
                          > > c++ classes or templates from the RelaxNG schema for svg. Those
                          > classes
                          > > could then be used to generate SVG objects. If you are in the .NET
                          > > environment, you might want to consider using ADO.NET to get your
                          > database
                          > > objects as XML, and then using XSLT to transform them into SVG.
                          > Really
                          > > fairly flexible and elegant, if you can deal with XSLT.
                          > >
                          > > ~Bill

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • jophof007
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2 12:35 PM

                            The javascript engine have the same capabilities as C++ program
                            (despite I/O stuff) so you can make a program that runs in a viewer or
                            in your browser.

                            John
                            wrote:
                            > Actually, you can do recursion, but overall I would agree that if
                            you want
                            > to use some sort of layout logic XSLT is going to be a PITA at best.
                            One
                            > half-hearted suggestion: if you're a really experience c++ programmer,
                            > rolling a quick command-line java program wouldn't be all that
                            figure out,
                            > and you could use the batik library to do it. The code at the end
                            is a very
                            > simple example from the batik site (http://xml.apache.org/batik) that
                            > generates a rectangle. Other than getting the java sdk and a build
                            > environment like ant, you could be up and running in minutes.
                            >
                            > If you can't stand the java, I don't know of anything like this that
                            exists
                            > for c++. Since you seem to only need a very few primitives, I would
                            > recommend simply creating a small utility class that carries around
                            either a
                            > System.Xml.XmlDocument or a StringBuilder class and has a few methods to
                            > create the primitives you need.
                            >
                            > /////////////////// Sample Batik Code /////////////////////////
                            > import java.awt.Rectangle;
                            > import java.awt.Graphics2D;
                            > import java.awt.Color;
                            > import java.io.Writer;
                            > import java.io.OutputStreamWriter;
                            > import java.io.IOException;
                            > import org.apache.batik.svggen.SVGGraphics2D;
                            > import org.apache.batik.dom.GenericDOMImplementation;
                            > import org.w3c.dom.Document;
                            > import org.w3c.dom.DOMImplementation;
                            >
                            > public class TestSVGGen {
                            >
                            > public void paint(Graphics2D g2d) {
                            > g2d.setPaint(Color.red);
                            > g2d.fill(new Rectangle(10, 10, 100, 100));
                            > }
                            >
                            > public static void main(String [] args) throws IOException {
                            >
                            > // Get a DOMImplementation
                            > DOMImplementation domImpl =
                            > GenericDOMImplementation.getDOMImplementation();
                            >
                            > // Create an instance of org.w3c.dom.Document
                            > Document document = domImpl.createDocument(null, "svg", null);
                            >
                            > // Create an instance of the SVG Generator
                            > SVGGraphics2D svgGenerator = new SVGGraphics2D(document);
                            >
                            > // Ask the test to render into the SVG Graphics2D implementation
                            > TestSVGGen test = new TestSVGGen();
                            > test.paint(svgGenerator);
                            >
                            > // Finally, stream out SVG to the standard output using UTF-8
                            > // character to byte encoding
                            > boolean useCSS = true; // we want to use CSS style attribute
                            > Writer out = new OutputStreamWriter(System.out, "UTF-8");
                            > svgGenerator.stream(out, useCSS);
                            > }
                            > }

                          • Alastair Fettes
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 2 1:13 PM
                              Hi Chris,

                              If my memory serves me correctly Visio should be able to handle most
                              SVG elements with minor exceptions. Let me point you to the article
                              Richard See wrote about Visio's support of SVG at the SVG Open 2003.

                              http://www.svgopen.org/2003/papers/SVG_Scenarios_using_Microsoft_Office_Visio_2003/

                              Another word to the wise. I was one of the QA on this project and
                              there are tricks to the round trip capabilities of Visio that you can
                              play off of if you are familiar with XML Namespaces. Try creating a
                              diagram with your connections in Visio, then save as svg. When you
                              look at the output SVG document you will notice a whole bunch of extra
                              attributes and data under a microsoft namespace. These of course are
                              trivial to remove with an XSLT. However, you could take cues from
                              these knowing that they were put in such that a visio document could
                              be round-tripped. The round tripping feature of Visio works quite
                              well. One of the few things you will not get from a round trip is
                              equations (if I remember correctly - it was about 3 years ago now).

                              Anyways, check out that paper and give me a shout if you have any
                              problems.

                              Cheers,
                              Alastair
                              http://spark.sourceforge.net

                              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Serio" <chris@c...> wrote:
                              > Hey all,
                              >
                              > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
                              > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
                              > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
                              > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some data
                              > in a database.
                              >
                              > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will have
                              > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
                              > From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
                              >
                              > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there an
                              > SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?
                              >
                              > Thanks for any suggestions,
                              > Chris
                            • Alastair Fettes
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 2 1:32 PM
                                Hi Chris,

                                Just a followup. I read your most recent posts just a few minutes ago
                                *after* posting the message below. Sorry about that - should have
                                read back a bit.

                                Personally, I generate SVG using the MSXML DOM in VC++ 6.0. I created
                                my own C++ based SVG API for generating my output. If you're using
                                .Net it would be trivial to use the DOM methods to create elements,
                                add attributes and append elements to others. I doubt XSLT is the
                                right solution (though I do love using XSLT for everything).

                                Just my two cents.

                                Cheers,
                                Alastair

                                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Fettes"
                                <afettes@g...> wrote:
                                > Hi Chris,
                                >
                                > If my memory serves me correctly Visio should be able to handle most
                                > SVG elements with minor exceptions. Let me point you to the article
                                > Richard See wrote about Visio's support of SVG at the SVG Open 2003.

                                http://www.svgopen.org/2003/papers/SVG_Scenarios_using_Microsoft_Office_Visio_2003/

                                > Another word to the wise. I was one of the QA on this project and
                                > there are tricks to the round trip capabilities of Visio that you can
                                > play off of if you are familiar with XML Namespaces. Try creating a
                                > diagram with your connections in Visio, then save as svg. When you
                                > look at the output SVG document you will notice a whole bunch of extra
                                > attributes and data under a microsoft namespace. These of course are
                                > trivial to remove with an XSLT. However, you could take cues from
                                > these knowing that they were put in such that a visio document could
                                > be round-tripped. The round tripping feature of Visio works quite
                                > well. One of the few things you will not get from a round trip is
                                > equations (if I remember correctly - it was about 3 years ago now).
                                >
                                > Anyways, check out that paper and give me a shout if you have any
                                > problems.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                > Alastair
                                > http://spark.sourceforge.net
                                >
                                > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Serio" <chris@c...> wrote:
                                > > Hey all,
                                > >
                                > > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
                                > > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
                                > > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
                                > > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some data
                                > > in a database.
                                > >
                                > > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will have
                                > > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
                                > > From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
                                > >
                                > > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there an
                                > > SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for any suggestions,
                                > > Chris
                              • Chris Serio
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 2 2:46 PM
                                  Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. I think MSXML DOM is
                                  going to be my solution but Java will be my backup. I did some Java
                                  programming before i learned C++ and it was fine but i'd like to stick
                                  with C++ if i can.

                                  Chris

                                  <afettes@g...> wrote:
> [...]
                                  > > http://spark.sourceforge.net
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Serio" <chris@c...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > > > Hey all,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
                                  > > > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
                                  > > > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images
                                  will be
                                  > > > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some
                                  data
                                  > > > in a database.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will
                                  have
                                  > > > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin
                                  routings.
                                  > > > From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is

                                • Chris Peto
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 3 3:56 AM

                                    Just Use Apache Foreign Object Processor (FOP) for svg->pdf, it works
                                    great and has svg examples with it.

                                    Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards
                                    Chris Peto
                                    Freelance System Development, Resource Solutions
                                    Founding Partner, Vectoreal
                                    -------------------------------------
                                    Germany
                                    Mobile: +49 (0) 173 308 7843
                                    Tel:+49(0) 6103 80 21 98
                                    <http://www.resource-solutions.de/> http://www.resource-solutions.de
                                    <http://www.vectoreal.com/> http://www.vectoreal.com
                                    SVG editor: http://www.resource-solutions.de/svgeditor.html
                                    SVG Editor Mac Skins:
                                    http://www.resource-solutions.de/svgeditor_mac/main.svg
                                    mailto:CPeto@...
                                    ------------------------------------
                                    Member of: SPARK - SVG Programmers' Application Resource Kit
                                    html site: http://spark.sourceforge.net/
                                    svg site: http://spark.sourceforge.net/svg/main.svg

                                    > Alot of good suggestions here guys but the bottom line is this...
                                    >
                                    > I'm very fluent in C/C++ so I'm more comfortable doing something
                                    > overkill but fast than learning something new. I can't take the risk
                                    > in investing my limited amount of time to learning something new
                                    > unless i was sure that it would be a time saver. I'd prefer to stick
                                    > with something that i can judge the required amount of effort with.

                                    Just go and grab the next SVG book, that's my suggestion. And forget
                                    Javascript, you most probably don't even need it _for this task_.

                                    SVG is as easy as

                                    <some
                                    ... ununderstandable
                                    ... preamble>
                                    <svg>
                                    <line x1="0" y1="0" x2="200" y2="200" />
                                    <rect ... />
                                    </svg>

                                    For SVG -> pdf, I use batik. It works great! If it is an option, you
                                    might want to use that.

                                    Mark: I can imagine it is much more elegant, faster and more reliable to

                                    use xslt, if I just knew how...

                                    Raoul

                                    -----
                                    To unsubscribe send a message to:

                                    Format
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Format&w1=Format&w2=Data&w3=Svg&w4=
                                    Computer+internet&w5=W3c&c=5&s=63&.sig=pwk9bsTG47SryYQd8oYMkg>
                                    Data
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Data&w1=Format&w2=Data&w3=Svg&w4=Co
                                    mputer+internet&w5=W3c&c=5&s=63&.sig=Ybmv-NMr8B76MC8Re1fdyw> Svg
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Svg&w1=Format&w2=Data&w3=Svg&w4=Com
                                    puter+internet&w5=W3c&c=5&s=63&.sig=11VNwM2AJiL3y3m8bHlMbw>
                                    Computer
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet&w1=Format&w2=Data
                                    &w3=Svg&w4=Computer+internet&w5=W3c&c=5&s=63&.sig=0A5G5gyBvu8oMs16cYR8RA
                                    > internet W3c
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=W3c&w1=Format&w2=Data&w3=Svg&w4=Com
                                    puter+internet&w5=W3c&c=5&s=63&.sig=mcHOxevUaXqKuaXf6fpI7g>

                                    _____

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                    * Visit your group "svg-developers
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers> " on the web.

                                    _____

                                  • Peter Thompson
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 7 11:36 AM
                                      Since you don't know SVG, I suggest that you try hand coding a few SVG files that contain a subset of the type of data/display you want. In your case, a few simple schematics will do. I suggest this because you need to understand what your program is supposed to produce if you are going to write that code.

                                      You can write a C/C++ program that generates SVG using file I/O. As you learn more about what you are trying to do, you may find needs/uses for the libraries suggested by Holger.