Newbie SVG Developer

  • Chris Serio
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hey all,

      I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
      generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
      possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
      generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some data
      in a database.

      Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will have
      connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
      From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.

      I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there an
      SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?

      Thanks for any suggestions,
      Chris
    • Holger Will
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
        Chris Serio schrieb:

        > Hey all,
        >
        > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
        > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
        > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
        > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some data
        > in a database.
        >
        > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will have
        > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
        > >From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
        >
        > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there an
        > SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions,
        > Chris

        Hi Chris

        i dont know any c/c++ , but as svg is just plain simple xml, you should
        be able to build your svgs with any xml lib.
        for more advanced features including rendering, and rendering to pdf see:
        http://cairographics.org/introduction
        and
        http://cairographics.org/libsvg

        or if you could use Java, there is the Apache Batik project, which is
        the most complete open source SVG implementation.
        http://xml.apache.org/batik/

        and if you are on Linux have a look at
        http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/

        or if you plan to have a GUI , and want that to be portable, you migth
        as well think of building a XUL app, using mozilla svg.
        http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/
        http://www.xulplanet.com/

        as i said i dont know c/c++ ,
        hope it helps anyways
        Holger
      • Chris Serio
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
          Thanks for the info. I was hoping to find a high level API with basic
          functions built into it like "DrawColoredRectangle
          (x,y,len,width,color)"

          There's a very near deadline on this project so i'm trying to get a
          library with the most comprehensive API i can.

          Chris

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Holger Will <holger@t...>

        • Mark Birbeck
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
            Chris,

            If I understand the app that you are describing, an API-like approach would
            be overkill. All you want to end up with is an SVG file that is passed to a
            renderer. Generating the SVG from some data source is the kind of thing SVG
            does without breaking a sweat. A simple architecture would be to get the
            data from the database into XML, and then run XSLT on it to get an SVG
            document.

            You could control that process with C++ of course -- or even better just
            stick it on a server and use Apache and Batik, or a similar combination
            (which will also make the PDF generation easier, too).

            But using C++ to step through a database and generate API calls is a lot
            more work (by an order of magnitude) than is needed here.

            Regards,

            Mark

            Mark Birbeck
            CEO
            x-port.net Ltd.

            e: Mark.Birbeck@...
            t: +44 (0) 20 7689 9232
            w: http://www.formsPlayer.com/
            b: http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/

            Download our XForms processor from
            http://www.formsPlayer.com/

          • William McKenzie
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
              What sort of c/c++ environment are you using? One option would be to find
              something like 'kode' (part of debian linux, I believe) that would generate
              c++ classes or templates from the RelaxNG schema for svg. Those classes
              could then be used to generate SVG objects. If you are in the .NET
              environment, you might want to consider using ADO.NET to get your database
              objects as XML, and then using XSLT to transform them into SVG. Really
              fairly flexible and elegant, if you can deal with XSLT.

              ~Bill

              wrote:
              > Chris Serio schrieb:
              >
              > > Hey all,
              > >
              > > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
              > > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
              > > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will
              be
              > > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some
              data
              > > in a database.
              > >
              > > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will
              have
              > > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin
              routings.
              > > >From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
              > >
              > > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there
              an
              > > SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?
              > >
              > > Thanks for any suggestions,
              > > Chris
              >
              > Hi Chris
              >
              > i dont know any c/c++ , but as svg is just plain simple xml, you
              should
              > be able to build your svgs with any xml lib.
              > for more advanced features including rendering, and rendering to
              pdf see:
              > http://cairographics.org/introduction
              > and
              > http://cairographics.org/libsvg
              >
              > or if you could use Java, there is the Apache Batik project, which
              is
              > the most complete open source SVG implementation.
              > http://xml.apache.org/batik/
              >
              > and if you are on Linux have a look at
              > http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/
              >
              > or if you plan to have a GUI , and want that to be portable, you
              migth
              > as well think of building a XUL app, using mozilla svg.
              > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/
              > http://www.xulplanet.com/
              >
              > as i said i dont know c/c++ ,
              > hope it helps anyways
              > Holger

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • r_v_putten
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005

                I had sent a message 90 minutes ago, but used a wrong mail address so
                it probably got rejected... I'll just copy it here.

                One note: Mark might be right about database+xslt+whatever being
                simpler (I haven't used xslt yet), but as a proficient C/C++
                programmer who is used to working with flat ascii files, this might
                get you to the point in a shorter time, because you don't have to
                learn a new concept. If you knew you had to work on the project for
                the next 4 years, my suggestion is xslt/whatever, for a project in a
                very short time, it's C++.

                And now the old message:

                Hello Chris,

                > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
                generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
                possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
                generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some data
                in a database.

                My first suggestion is to check if Visio really can open all of SVG.
                SVG is a really complex thing, so if you take one program that outputs
                SVG, I don't think another program that inputs SVG can necessarily
                understand everything correctly.

                > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will have
                connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
                From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.

                > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there an
                SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?

                I'm a C/C++ programmer too, and if I had to do such a thing today, I
                would probable just output text files from my program. That way you
                can control what's in the SVG and that Visio will understand it. An
                XML library might be of help, but it shouldn't even be necessary. I
                think I'd chose fprintf().

                My suggestion would be to read a book about SVG and then use it like
                an operating systems drawing functions. Lines and rects are no problem
                at all, transformations and scaling is easy if you extensively used a
                graphics lib before. Reusing parts of the graphic with <defs /> and
                <use /> will come in quite handy. There are many more things that SVG
                can do but you will probably not need them.

                Just two cents from an advanced SVG beginner.

                Raoul
              • jophof007
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005

                  You have to write your algorithm to make the symbols on the diagram.
                  You define your objects in javascript with properties and methods. The
                  actual drawing can be done by putting SVG element on your canvas with
                  appendChild. The SVG objects have links to the javascript objects.

                  See how we did it in open-modeling look in /diagram/flowchart/ here is
                  a complex algorithm to determine positions of symbols on a flowchart.
                  Download it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-modeling (feedback
                  welcome). In the war file you find the code. Src directories contains
                  the code readable.

                  John

                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "r_v_putten" <r_v_putten@y...>

                  > I had sent a message 90 minutes ago, but used a wrong mail address so
                  > it probably got rejected... I'll just copy it here.
                  >
                  > One note: Mark might be right about database+xslt+whatever being
                  > simpler (I haven't used xslt yet), but as a proficient C/C++
                  > programmer who is used to working with flat ascii files, this might
                  > get you to the point in a shorter time, because you don't have to
                  > learn a new concept. If you knew you had to work on the project for
                  > the next 4 years, my suggestion is xslt/whatever, for a project in a
                  > very short time, it's C++.
                  >
                  > And now the old message:
                  >
                  > Hello Chris,
                  >
                  > > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
                  > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
                  > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
                  > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some data
                  > in a database.
                  >
                  > My first suggestion is to check if Visio really can open all of SVG.
                  > SVG is a really complex thing, so if you take one program that outputs
                  > SVG, I don't think another program that inputs SVG can necessarily
                  > understand everything correctly.
                  >
                  > > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will have
                  > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
                  > From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
                  > >
                  > > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there an
                  > SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?
                  >
                  > I'm a C/C++ programmer too, and if I had to do such a thing today, I
                  > would probable just output text files from my program. That way you
                  > can control what's in the SVG and that Visio will understand it. An
                  > XML library might be of help, but it shouldn't even be necessary. I
                  > think I'd chose fprintf().
                  >
                  > My suggestion would be to read a book about SVG and then use it like
                  > an operating systems drawing functions. Lines and rects are no problem
                  > at all, transformations and scaling is easy if you extensively used a
                  > graphics lib before. Reusing parts of the graphic with <defs /> and
                  > <use /> will come in quite handy. There are many more things that SVG
                  > can do but you will probably not need them.
                  >
                  > Just two cents from an advanced SVG beginner.
                  >
                  > Raoul
                • Mark Birbeck
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
                    Hi Raoul,

                    > One note: Mark might be right about database+xslt+whatever
                    > being simpler (I haven't used xslt yet), but as a proficient
                    > C/C++ programmer who is used to working with flat ascii
                    > files, this might get you to the point in a shorter time,
                    > because you don't have to learn a new concept. If you knew
                    > you had to work on the project for the next 4 years, my
                    > suggestion is xslt/whatever, for a project in a very short
                    > time, it's C++.

                    I still think XML+XSLT->SVG is way ahead of C++ for this type of application
                    (and I'm assuming a great deal about what Chris is trying to do, so I could
                    be way off).

                    formsPlayer and Sidewinder are entirely written in C++, so it's certainly
                    our language of choice. But my guess is that in an application like this
                    you'd spend most of your time just manipulating a DOM. Sure you can do that
                    in C++, but why bother? There must be better things to do with our time!

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
                      Alot of good suggestions here guys but the bottom line is this...

                      I'm very fluent in C/C++ so I'm more comfortable doing something
                      overkill but fast than learning something new. I can't take the risk
                      in investing my limited amount of time to learning something new
                      unless i was sure that it would be a time saver. I'd prefer to stick
                      with something that i can judge the required amount of effort with.

                      Now some more about my project....All i really want is a command line
                      program that reads in a CSV excel file and spits out a SVG graphics
                      file. It doesn't need to display it or anything. I plan on taking the
                      SVG and opening it in Visio or converting it to a PDF or displaying
                      it on a website. Very basic stuff. The kinds of things i need to draw
                      are basic as well. It's all black and white with nothing more than
                      lines, boxes and text. It's just a wiring schematic. I know visio can
                      open this kind of stuff to view it.

                      I realize that i can just spit out plain text with fprintf but to do
                      so would require a pretty good knowledge of xml which i don't have. I
                      know a lot of you right now are either laughing or offended that i
                      chose to use XML with this project but i just figured that with the
                      right API, i wouldn't need to learn much XML...I could just tell the
                      API to export one of the primitives that i need and be done with it.
                      If nothing like this exists than i guess i'm going to have to do some
                      reading.

                      Thanks,
                      Chris

                    • Chris Serio
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
                        Yeah i'd be using .NET. I'm not sure what XSLT is but i'm going to
                        look into it right now...The database is pretty simple but the
                        drawing needs to have some logic to it so that wires don't cross on
                        the schematic etc.

                        The database will just be a from-connector #, from-pin #, to-
                        connector #, to-pin # and some wire gauge/type for each.

                        Chris

                        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "William McKenzie" <bill@c...>

                      • Raoul van Putten
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
                          Chris Serio wrote:
                          > Alot of good suggestions here guys but the bottom line is this...
                          >
                          > I'm very fluent in C/C++ so I'm more comfortable doing something
                          > overkill but fast than learning something new. I can't take the risk
                          > in investing my limited amount of time to learning something new
                          > unless i was sure that it would be a time saver. I'd prefer to stick
                          > with something that i can judge the required amount of effort with.

                          Just go and grab the next SVG book, that's my suggestion. And forget
                          Javascript, you most probably don't even need it _for this task_.

                          SVG is as easy as

                          <some
                          ... ununderstandable
                          ... preamble>
                          <svg>
                          <line x1="0" y1="0" x2="200" y2="200" />
                          <rect ... />
                          </svg>

                          For SVG -> pdf, I use batik. It works great! If it is an option, you
                          might want to use that.

                          Mark: I can imagine it is much more elegant, faster and more reliable to
                          use xslt, if I just knew how...

                          Raoul
                        • jophof007
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
                            Building complex logic in XSLT is very hard to do. Some if else is
                            possible but not recursion for example sometimes needed for complex
                            algorithms.

                            John

                          • William McKenzie
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
                              Actually, you can do recursion, but overall I would agree that if you want
                              to use some sort of layout logic XSLT is going to be a PITA at best. One
                              half-hearted suggestion: if you're a really experience c++ programmer,
                              rolling a quick command-line java program wouldn't be all that figure out,
                              and you could use the batik library to do it. The code at the end is a very
                              simple example from the batik site (http://xml.apache.org/batik) that
                              generates a rectangle. Other than getting the java sdk and a build
                              environment like ant, you could be up and running in minutes.

                              If you can't stand the java, I don't know of anything like this that exists
                              for c++. Since you seem to only need a very few primitives, I would
                              recommend simply creating a small utility class that carries around either a
                              System.Xml.XmlDocument or a StringBuilder class and has a few methods to
                              create the primitives you need.

                              /////////////////// Sample Batik Code /////////////////////////
                              import java.awt.Rectangle;
                              import java.awt.Graphics2D;
                              import java.awt.Color;
                              import java.io.Writer;
                              import java.io.OutputStreamWriter;
                              import java.io.IOException;
                              import org.apache.batik.svggen.SVGGraphics2D;
                              import org.apache.batik.dom.GenericDOMImplementation;
                              import org.w3c.dom.Document;
                              import org.w3c.dom.DOMImplementation;

                              public class TestSVGGen {

                              public void paint(Graphics2D g2d) {
                              g2d.setPaint(Color.red);
                              g2d.fill(new Rectangle(10, 10, 100, 100));
                              }

                              public static void main(String [] args) throws IOException {

                              // Get a DOMImplementation
                              DOMImplementation domImpl =
                              GenericDOMImplementation.getDOMImplementation();

                              // Create an instance of org.w3c.dom.Document
                              Document document = domImpl.createDocument(null, "svg", null);

                              // Create an instance of the SVG Generator
                              SVGGraphics2D svgGenerator = new SVGGraphics2D(document);

                              // Ask the test to render into the SVG Graphics2D implementation
                              TestSVGGen test = new TestSVGGen();
                              test.paint(svgGenerator);

                              // Finally, stream out SVG to the standard output using UTF-8
                              // character to byte encoding
                              boolean useCSS = true; // we want to use CSS style attribute
                              Writer out = new OutputStreamWriter(System.out, "UTF-8");
                              svgGenerator.stream(out, useCSS);

                              Building complex logic in XSLT is very hard to do. Some if else is
                              possible but not recursion for example sometimes needed for complex
                              algorithms.

                              John
                              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Serio" <chris@c...> wrote:
                              > Yeah i'd be using .NET. I'm not sure what XSLT is but i'm going to
                              > look into it right now...The database is pretty simple but the
                              > drawing needs to have some logic to it so that wires don't cross on
                              > the schematic etc.
                              >
                              > The database will just be a from-connector #, from-pin #, to-
                              > connector #, to-pin # and some wire gauge/type for each.
                              >
                              > Chris
                              >

                              > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "William McKenzie" <bill@c...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > What sort of c/c++ environment are you using? One option would be
                              > to find
                              > > something like 'kode' (part of debian linux, I believe) that would
                              > generate
                              > > c++ classes or templates from the RelaxNG schema for svg. Those
                              > classes
                              > > could then be used to generate SVG objects. If you are in the .NET
                              > > environment, you might want to consider using ADO.NET to get your
                              > database
                              > > objects as XML, and then using XSLT to transform them into SVG.
                              > Really
                              > > fairly flexible and elegant, if you can deal with XSLT.
                              > >
                              > > ~Bill

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • jophof007
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005

                                The javascript engine have the same capabilities as C++ program
                                (despite I/O stuff) so you can make a program that runs in a viewer or
                                in your browser.

                                John
                                wrote:
                                > Actually, you can do recursion, but overall I would agree that if
                                you want
                                > to use some sort of layout logic XSLT is going to be a PITA at best.
                                One
                                > half-hearted suggestion: if you're a really experience c++ programmer,
                                > rolling a quick command-line java program wouldn't be all that
                                figure out,
                                > and you could use the batik library to do it. The code at the end
                                is a very
                                > simple example from the batik site (http://xml.apache.org/batik) that
                                > generates a rectangle. Other than getting the java sdk and a build
                                > environment like ant, you could be up and running in minutes.
                                >
                                > If you can't stand the java, I don't know of anything like this that
                                exists
                                > for c++. Since you seem to only need a very few primitives, I would
                                > recommend simply creating a small utility class that carries around
                                either a
                                > System.Xml.XmlDocument or a StringBuilder class and has a few methods to
                                > create the primitives you need.
                                >
                                > /////////////////// Sample Batik Code /////////////////////////
                                > import java.awt.Rectangle;
                                > import java.awt.Graphics2D;
                                > import java.awt.Color;
                                > import java.io.Writer;
                                > import java.io.OutputStreamWriter;
                                > import java.io.IOException;
                                > import org.apache.batik.svggen.SVGGraphics2D;
                                > import org.apache.batik.dom.GenericDOMImplementation;
                                > import org.w3c.dom.Document;
                                > import org.w3c.dom.DOMImplementation;
                                >
                                > public class TestSVGGen {
                                >
                                > public void paint(Graphics2D g2d) {
                                > g2d.setPaint(Color.red);
                                > g2d.fill(new Rectangle(10, 10, 100, 100));
                                > }
                                >
                                > public static void main(String [] args) throws IOException {
                                >
                                > // Get a DOMImplementation
                                > DOMImplementation domImpl =
                                > GenericDOMImplementation.getDOMImplementation();
                                >
                                > // Create an instance of org.w3c.dom.Document
                                > Document document = domImpl.createDocument(null, "svg", null);
                                >
                                > // Create an instance of the SVG Generator
                                > SVGGraphics2D svgGenerator = new SVGGraphics2D(document);
                                >
                                > // Ask the test to render into the SVG Graphics2D implementation
                                > TestSVGGen test = new TestSVGGen();
                                > test.paint(svgGenerator);
                                >
                                > // Finally, stream out SVG to the standard output using UTF-8
                                > // character to byte encoding
                                > boolean useCSS = true; // we want to use CSS style attribute
                                > Writer out = new OutputStreamWriter(System.out, "UTF-8");
                                > svgGenerator.stream(out, useCSS);
                                > }
                                > }

                              • Alastair Fettes
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
                                  Hi Chris,

                                  If my memory serves me correctly Visio should be able to handle most
                                  SVG elements with minor exceptions. Let me point you to the article
                                  Richard See wrote about Visio's support of SVG at the SVG Open 2003.

                                  http://www.svgopen.org/2003/papers/SVG_Scenarios_using_Microsoft_Office_Visio_2003/

                                  Another word to the wise. I was one of the QA on this project and
                                  there are tricks to the round trip capabilities of Visio that you can
                                  play off of if you are familiar with XML Namespaces. Try creating a
                                  diagram with your connections in Visio, then save as svg. When you
                                  look at the output SVG document you will notice a whole bunch of extra
                                  attributes and data under a microsoft namespace. These of course are
                                  trivial to remove with an XSLT. However, you could take cues from
                                  these knowing that they were put in such that a visio document could
                                  be round-tripped. The round tripping feature of Visio works quite
                                  well. One of the few things you will not get from a round trip is
                                  equations (if I remember correctly - it was about 3 years ago now).

                                  Anyways, check out that paper and give me a shout if you have any
                                  problems.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Alastair
                                  http://spark.sourceforge.net

                                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Serio" <chris@c...> wrote:
                                  > Hey all,
                                  >
                                  > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
                                  > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
                                  > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
                                  > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some data
                                  > in a database.
                                  >
                                  > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will have
                                  > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
                                  > From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
                                  >
                                  > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there an
                                  > SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for any suggestions,
                                  > Chris
                                • Alastair Fettes
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
                                    Hi Chris,

                                    Just a followup. I read your most recent posts just a few minutes ago
                                    *after* posting the message below. Sorry about that - should have
                                    read back a bit.

                                    Personally, I generate SVG using the MSXML DOM in VC++ 6.0. I created
                                    my own C++ based SVG API for generating my output. If you're using
                                    .Net it would be trivial to use the DOM methods to create elements,
                                    add attributes and append elements to others. I doubt XSLT is the
                                    right solution (though I do love using XSLT for everything).

                                    Just my two cents.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Alastair

                                    --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Fettes"
                                    <afettes@g...> wrote:
                                    > Hi Chris,
                                    >
                                    > If my memory serves me correctly Visio should be able to handle most
                                    > SVG elements with minor exceptions. Let me point you to the article
                                    > Richard See wrote about Visio's support of SVG at the SVG Open 2003.

                                    http://www.svgopen.org/2003/papers/SVG_Scenarios_using_Microsoft_Office_Visio_2003/

                                    > Another word to the wise. I was one of the QA on this project and
                                    > there are tricks to the round trip capabilities of Visio that you can
                                    > play off of if you are familiar with XML Namespaces. Try creating a
                                    > diagram with your connections in Visio, then save as svg. When you
                                    > look at the output SVG document you will notice a whole bunch of extra
                                    > attributes and data under a microsoft namespace. These of course are
                                    > trivial to remove with an XSLT. However, you could take cues from
                                    > these knowing that they were put in such that a visio document could
                                    > be round-tripped. The round tripping feature of Visio works quite
                                    > well. One of the few things you will not get from a round trip is
                                    > equations (if I remember correctly - it was about 3 years ago now).
                                    >
                                    > Anyways, check out that paper and give me a shout if you have any
                                    > problems.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers,
                                    > Alastair
                                    > http://spark.sourceforge.net
                                    >
                                    > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Serio" <chris@c...> wrote:
                                    > > Hey all,
                                    > >
                                    > > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
                                    > > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
                                    > > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
                                    > > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some data
                                    > > in a database.
                                    > >
                                    > > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will have
                                    > > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
                                    > > From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
                                    > >
                                    > > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there an
                                    > > SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks for any suggestions,
                                    > > Chris
                                  • Chris Serio
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 2, 2005
                                      Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. I think MSXML DOM is
                                      going to be my solution but Java will be my backup. I did some Java
                                      programming before i learned C++ and it was fine but i'd like to stick
                                      with C++ if i can.

                                      Chris

                                      <afettes@g...> wrote:
> [...]
                                      > > http://spark.sourceforge.net
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Serio" <chris@c...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > > > Hey all,
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
                                      > > > generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
                                      > > > possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images
                                      will be
                                      > > > generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some
                                      data
                                      > > > in a database.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will
                                      have
                                      > > > connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin
                                      routings.
                                      > > > From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is

                                    • Chris Peto
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 3, 2005

                                        Just Use Apache Foreign Object Processor (FOP) for svg->pdf, it works
                                        great and has svg examples with it.

                                        Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards
                                        Chris Peto
                                        Freelance System Development, Resource Solutions
                                        Founding Partner, Vectoreal
                                        -------------------------------------
                                        Germany
                                        Mobile: +49 (0) 173 308 7843
                                        Tel:+49(0) 6103 80 21 98
                                        <http://www.resource-solutions.de/> http://www.resource-solutions.de
                                        <http://www.vectoreal.com/> http://www.vectoreal.com
                                        SVG editor: http://www.resource-solutions.de/svgeditor.html
                                        SVG Editor Mac Skins:
                                        http://www.resource-solutions.de/svgeditor_mac/main.svg
                                        mailto:CPeto@...
                                        ------------------------------------
                                        Member of: SPARK - SVG Programmers' Application Resource Kit
                                        html site: http://spark.sourceforge.net/
                                        svg site: http://spark.sourceforge.net/svg/main.svg

                                        > Alot of good suggestions here guys but the bottom line is this...
                                        >
                                        > I'm very fluent in C/C++ so I'm more comfortable doing something
                                        > overkill but fast than learning something new. I can't take the risk
                                        > in investing my limited amount of time to learning something new
                                        > unless i was sure that it would be a time saver. I'd prefer to stick
                                        > with something that i can judge the required amount of effort with.

                                        Just go and grab the next SVG book, that's my suggestion. And forget
                                        Javascript, you most probably don't even need it _for this task_.

                                        SVG is as easy as

                                        <some
                                        ... ununderstandable
                                        ... preamble>
                                        <svg>
                                        <line x1="0" y1="0" x2="200" y2="200" />
                                        <rect ... />
                                        </svg>

                                        For SVG -> pdf, I use batik. It works great! If it is an option, you
                                        might want to use that.

                                        Mark: I can imagine it is much more elegant, faster and more reliable to

                                        use xslt, if I just knew how...

                                        Raoul

                                        -----
                                        To unsubscribe send a message to:

                                        Format
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Format&w1=Format&w2=Data&w3=Svg&w4=
                                        Computer+internet&w5=W3c&c=5&s=63&.sig=pwk9bsTG47SryYQd8oYMkg>
                                        Data
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Data&w1=Format&w2=Data&w3=Svg&w4=Co
                                        mputer+internet&w5=W3c&c=5&s=63&.sig=Ybmv-NMr8B76MC8Re1fdyw> Svg
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Svg&w1=Format&w2=Data&w3=Svg&w4=Com
                                        puter+internet&w5=W3c&c=5&s=63&.sig=11VNwM2AJiL3y3m8bHlMbw>
                                        Computer
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet&w1=Format&w2=Data
                                        &w3=Svg&w4=Computer+internet&w5=W3c&c=5&s=63&.sig=0A5G5gyBvu8oMs16cYR8RA
                                        > internet W3c
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=W3c&w1=Format&w2=Data&w3=Svg&w4=Com
                                        puter+internet&w5=W3c&c=5&s=63&.sig=mcHOxevUaXqKuaXf6fpI7g>

                                        _____

                                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                        * Visit your group "svg-developers
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers> " on the web.

                                        _____

                                      • Peter Thompson
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 7, 2005
                                          Since you don't know SVG, I suggest that you try hand coding a few SVG files that contain a subset of the type of data/display you want. In your case, a few simple schematics will do. I suggest this because you need to understand what your program is supposed to produce if you are going to write that code.

                                          You can write a C/C++ program that generates SVG using file I/O. As you learn more about what you are trying to do, you may find needs/uses for the libraries suggested by Holger.