Re: [svg-developers] Re: Shit, or get of the pot

  • Holger Will
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2 2:43 AM
      Barend Köbben schrieb:

      > Holger
      >
      > look up the word 'paranoia' in your dictionary and maybe also
      > 'ranting', and maybe then welkerpaul makes sense...
      >

      > Barend "anybrowserthatworksforme" Köbben

      ROFL :-)

      thanks for the tip. that helped a lot !

      Holger "thisisaquestion?" Will
    • Bob Hunter
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2 7:03 AM
        ENOUGH !!!

      • Francis Hemsher
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2 9:12 AM
          Maybe you mean, ENOUGH ???

          Yes, I must admit SVG is making me a bit nuts...It's like the model
          train set I would put out at Christmas for my childen. It would go
          round, and round, and round: always on the same track. Fortunately it
          could be put away for a year.

          SVG has been going around the same track for about 3 years with no
          destination in site.

          Francis

          "Bob Hunter" <bhunter@c...> wrote:
          > ENOUGH !!!

        • Doug Schepers
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2 11:25 AM
            Francis-

            It seems like what you are looking for is some kind of rotation animation?
            From what I can tell, this should fit your requirements:

            <svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg'
            xmlns:xlink='http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink'>

            <path id='progress' d='M250,285 A100,100 0 1 1 251,285 z' fill='none'
            stroke='cornflowerblue' stroke-width='2'/>

            <text font-size='22px' fill='crimson' text-anchor='middle'>SVG
            <animateMotion dur='12s' repeatCount='indefinite' rotate='auto' >
            <mpath xlink:href='#progress'/>
            </animateMotion>
            </text>

            </svg>

            The text will go around in a circle indefinitely. Several people also
            recently posted train animations as well, if that's what you're looking for.

            Since this is a list dedicated to answering questions about development
            questions in SVG, when you ae asking questions here, it would be best to be
            clear and concise about specific features.

            I see that you also have questions about SVG viewers. Holger and many others
            have answered these questions before, many times. I think I've seen your
            post on this list before, so you must have seen such elaborate replies. In
            short, there are a number of different viewers, for all platforms. More
            development is going on as we speak.

            Finally, you seem to have some vague desire to control SVG's evolution and
            adoption. This really isn't an issue that can be resolved here. One way for
            you to effect the change you're looking for is to develop and distribute
            your own SVG viewer; I estimate that it could be done for less than $200K.
            Another way is to join the W3C and help in the development of the SVG Spec;
            this will cost somewhere between $5-30K, I think. It you feel that this
            control complex is interfering in your daily life, I suggest you try another
            yahoo list that may be better able to help you:

            Oh, and while we're talking about behavior, can I ask you to drop the
            unsavory word choices? I curse like a sailor in private ("Argh! Avast ye,
            scurvy dog!" etc. ), but it's rude to do so when you don't know your
            audience.

            Regards-
            Doug

            doug . schepers @ vectoreal.com
            www.vectoreal.com ...for scalable solutions.

            Francis Hemsher wrote:

            | Maybe you mean, ENOUGH ???
            |
            | Yes, I must admit SVG is making me a bit nuts...It's like the
            | model train set I would put out at Christmas for my childen.
            | It would go round, and round, and round: always on the same
            | track. Fortunately it could be put away for a year.
            |
            | SVG has been going around the same track for about 3 years
            | with no destination in site.
            |
            | Francis
            |

            | "Bob Hunter" <bhunter@c...> wrote:
            | > ENOUGH !!!

          • Francis Hemsher
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2 1:20 PM
              Hi Doug,

              Shucks no, the path that I'm talking about is:

              <svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg'
              xmlns:xlink='http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink'>
              <text font-size='22px' fill='crimson' text-anchor='middle'>SVG
              <animateMotion dur='12s' repeatCount='indefinite' rotate='auto'>
              <mpath xlink:href='#lackOfProgress'/>
              </animateMotion>
              </text>
              <text startOffset="0" x="242" y="337" transform="rotate
              (0,242,337)"><tspan style="font-size:500;font-family:Cataneo,
              BT;fill:darkblue;opacity:1;" x="242" >?</tspan></text>
              <path id="lackOfProgress" style="fill:none;stroke-width:0;" d="M436
              101 S 416 141,359 169,312.4800157279976
              208.80223273182557,307.6577932630594 227.6089003450847,357 231,297
              285,317 356,323 331,329 296,298.4955705796767
              260.4000131066647,286.92223666382494 218.44667766170204,316
              177,369.8644630607626 144.18445170165322,389 96,367.4533518282935
              27.004445803654114,347.2000174755529 35.68444624054294,332 79,326
              89,284 88,290 61,319 23,355.88001791244175
              18.324445366765292,414.2289097381944 22.18222333871588,430 47,439
              79,436 101,"/>
              </svg>

              Francis
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Schepers" <doug@s...>
              wrote:
              > It seems like what you are looking for is some kind of rotation
              > From what I can tell, this should fit your requirements:
              >
              > <svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg'
              > xmlns:xlink='http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink'>
              >
              > <path id='progress' d='M250,285 A100,100 0 1 1 251,285 z'
              fill='none'
              > stroke='cornflowerblue' stroke-width='2'/>
              >
              > <text font-size='22px' fill='crimson' text-anchor='middle'>SVG
              > <animateMotion dur='12s' repeatCount='indefinite'
              rotate='auto' >
              > <mpath xlink:href='#progress'/>
              > </animateMotion>
              > </text>
              >
              > </svg>

            • welkerpaul
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2 4:23 PM
                Hi Doug
                It's always enough if you're modest;)
                Your *enough* was a decent one, thanks. Your advice about the
                purpose of this group is recognized.
                It seems like some people are looking for some clues about the
                realistic potential of the technology as well. At least if you want
                to do more than playing around with svg that might become quite
                important. Unfortunately this is the only relevant list if you're
                looking for some hints! Precocious platitudes and arrogant
                suggestions won't help much in that situation. It should look like
                that vectoreal is one of that major svg related entities? How about
                sharing some decent first-hand insights about svg's adoption
                progress? From my personal experience it was much easier to sell svg-
                related projects tree years ago than it is today. To my experience
                these days it's almost impossible to convince a customer telling him
                svg would be a safe bet. All the existing svg projects I've been
                involved are 100% asv3 dependent:-0 Did you realize that asv is
                partially broken in ie7b?? And none of our projects will do any good
                with firefox: impracticable slow and outrageous resource hungry, and
                in addition just not available at the customers desktop:((
                Any thoughts?
                For those of you having enough, just skip this lengthy post and
                continue! Mean enough posts will get ignored anyways:)
                Ok, answered rantisch and sarcastic to Holger. Maybe it's because
                it's been a long time ago I'd to deal with a guy who actually thinks
                it's a good idea to have 'best viewed with browser x' statements
                again. Embarrassing that he won't get what's wrong with this kind of
                perception.
                Besides, I guess most of the divergence results in the fact that
                everyone likes to talk about his own svg. Some expect no more than a
                nifty defined xml namespace that renders usable vector graphics in a
                webbrowser. Others would like to see all kind of things besides and
                beyond of this. It looks like doing all the stuff at the same time
                didn't work out very well.
                In my opinion the webbrowser part of the roadmap is essentially lost
                unless adobe reanimates the thing. The firefox native implementation
                would need vast amounts of (re)work in order to become usable in
                terms of performance and machine resources demands, right? Nobody
                expects this overnight. Alternative plugins will face a troublesome
                long road; we know that things have changed concerning plugins
                today. $200K is worth nothing.
                But of course adobe isn't in charge to reanimate svg for the web. To
                me its somehow obvious that their engagement concerning vector
                webgraphics was just enough to hinder alternatives. They did have
                valid reasons since the vml w3c submission did have a reference
                implementation ready. And they didn't own flash as well.
                Nevertheless, one may notice that adobe would have the chance to
                tune into svg for the web any day? Given the complete market
                penetration or their maintained pdf reader products, adobe has the
                genuine power to distribute their svg viewer under the counter and
                all over the place. Btw, could someone kindly explain to me why the
                adobe reader still carries an updated asv6 within its binaries? I
                might be ignorant, but using svg in order to render a few floating
                controls in a fat reader client application looked like a fig leaf
                right from the start? Especially if you consider that pdf is far
                more powerful than svg.
                Beyond these mentioned oddities there's probably no reason to
                complain about adobe. Concerning svg it belongs to the standards
                committee to embrace a non trivial xml format for webgraphics
                without the solid commitment of the browser vendors. Who was asking
                for a boxed implementation anyways? The one and only specification
                should be adequate but doable for a browser vendor, right? That
                doesn't exactly sound like svg.

                Looking at svg beyond the web the affair is fairly easy. The file
                format does exist and there're there are plenty of different
                possibilities to emerge and to miss. Commonplace, the magic
                threshold value doesn't apply at the front. Talking about the next
                generation of vector aware os' and svg and back to the web: truism,
                it's a no-brainer for many reasons. Well, *enough*, let's go for
                dinner. Regards

                Paul