Re: [svg-developers] SVG Optimization (UPDATE)

  • Bjoern Hoehrmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31 9:17 PM
      * Joseph wrote:
      >As you know, it is an academic research (dissertation) which means the
      >writing part investigating the topic of interest is important.
      >Therefore, I have been writing about the topic of interest
      >investigating the possible optimizations methods or techniques. I have
      >also been looking for any available SVG optimization tools but have
      >found only few; SVGSimplify and SodiPodi. If you know any more than
      >that, please let me know!

      There is http://esw.w3.org/topic/SvgTidy as Holger pointed out last
      time, though the primary goal is to optimize for standards-compliance,
      compatibility, and post-processing (with tools and by hand). There is
      also http://esw.w3.org/topic/SvgTidy/Snippets which is a proof of con-
      cept cleanup snippet to remove redundant presentation attributes and
      to convert CSS styles into presentation attributes.

      >The processing will be pipelined! There are different optimization
      >needs for each one of us therefore it is good to provide a tool that
      >can be configured differently depending on the needs. I will be
      >cutting down the optimization in small bits, each of which will be
      >responsible for one optimization, say; combining paths or reduce
      >accuracy etc..

      Sounds good, this would certainly help integrating your code into SVG
      Tidy. You'd ideally write this in ECMAScript as that is most portable
      among viewers and you really want to re-use much of the SVG-specific
      features they provide through the SVG DOM or proprietary APIs.
      --
      Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@... · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de