Re: SVG 3.02 --> 3.03

  • Nicholas Lucaroni
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3 1:48 PM
      I don't want to seem like an a$$ for reposting this, but it is very
      odd, and want to make sure that the necessary people see this.

      problem: Upgrading from adobe SVG viewer 3.02 -> 3.03 causes my SVG
      page not to be displayed. It's an ASP page that renders database
      information into dynamically drawn flow chart. The SVG is an embedded
      object on a page with some simple directions on navigation.

      I've looked around the internet and have seen other places with the
      same issue. There solution is "DONT UPGRADE TO 3.03!". It seems like
      a co-out to me. What is the problem?

      While writing the page i used the 1.1 specs on the SVG reference
      page, so my SVG should be correct. I think the issue is with ASP,
      rendering the SVG returns a HTML document, not one with an SVG
      extension. (when you right click on the document in 3.02 then
      click "view SVG" it pops up a page of text(all the text objects on in
      the SVG image), and the URL extension is .htm.

      So what do you all think? is that the possible reason? has anyone
      experiemented with SVG and ASP, i've seen pages with SVG and ASP.NET
      but they weren't old or anything, but probably used 3.02. Thanks for
      your help, i hope someone can help me.

      -nick

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas Lucaroni"
      <U.mojan@v...> wrote:
      > yeah thats not it. but thanks for the catch. I was playing around
      > with the namespace thinking that was the issue, and didn't change
      it
      > back. anyone experience compatability issues from 3.02->3.03?
      >
      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jon Ferraiolo
      > <Jon.Ferraiolo@a...> wrote:
      > > At 04:00 PM 6/29/2005, you wrote:
      > > >I have an application that is rendered in SVG and works
      perfectly
      > on
      > > >3.02. My clients installed and tried testing the application and
      > the
      > > >page doesn't work. I personally installed to 3.03 on my computer
      > and
      > > >the SVBG also doesn't work. Wondering if anyone might have an
      idea
      > what
      > > >the problem might be.
      > > >
      > > >I'm declaring the SVG within: <svg
      > > >xmlns="<http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/>http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/"
      > > >xml:space="preserve" width="100%" height="100%">
      > >
      > > I am not sure this is your problem, but it should be
      > > xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg".
      > >
      > > Jon
      > >

      > > >and it's an embedded object.
      > > >

      > > >-----
      > > >To unsubscribe send a message to: svg-developers-
      > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > > >-or-
      > > >visit
      > > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-
      > > >and click "edit my membership"
      > > >----
      > > >
      > > ><?---- LSpots keywords ?> <?---- HM ADS ?>

      > > > *
      > > > <mailto:svg-developers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
      > > >
      > > > *
      > > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

    • Sylvain Rouillard
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3 2:47 PM
        I've had problems with ASP.NET when I tried to view an SVG served by one
        server on the server itself (to be clear, the ASP-SVG code is served by
        machine X, browsing the page on machine X doesn't work, whereas it works
        perfectly well from any other machine Y or Z). The way the browser renders
        the SVG in such a situation seems to depend on how you integrated your SVG in
        your HTML (IFRAME, object, embed). Maybe your problem could be related?

      • Holger Will
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3 11:14 PM
          Nicholas Lucaroni schrieb:

          > I don't want to seem like an a$$ for reposting this, but it is very
          > odd, and want to make sure that the necessary people see this.
          >
          > problem: Upgrading from adobe SVG viewer 3.02 -> 3.03 causes my SVG
          > page not to be displayed. It's an ASP page that renders database
          > information into dynamically drawn flow chart. The SVG is an embedded
          > object on a page with some simple directions on navigation.
          >
          > I've looked around the internet and have seen other places with the
          > same issue. There solution is "DONT UPGRADE TO 3.03!". It seems like
          > a co-out to me. What is the problem?
          >
          > While writing the page i used the 1.1 specs on the SVG reference
          > page, so my SVG should be correct. I think the issue is with ASP,
          > rendering the SVG returns a HTML document, not one with an SVG
          > extension. (when you right click on the document in 3.02 then
          > click "view SVG" it pops up a page of text(all the text objects on in
          > the SVG image), and the URL extension is .htm.
          >
          > So what do you all think? is that the possible reason? has anyone
          > experiemented with SVG and ASP, i've seen pages with SVG and ASP.NET
          > but they weren't old or anything, but probably used 3.02. Thanks for
          > your help, i hope someone can help me.
          >
          > -nick

          Hi Nick
          there are a few thing you have to care about, so that dynamicly
          generated svgs work across browsers.

          1.you have to set the right Mime Type :
          response.contentEncoding="image/svg+xml" (make sure that this mime is
          registered in your iis)
          2.use the correct namespace, e.g. make sure your svg document starts
          like this:
          <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
          3. make sure your querystring ends with .svg
          http://yourdomain/yourasp.asp?ex=.svg

          if you dont do 3., IE will somtimes not render your SVG, so i gues this
          is what your looking for.

          hth
          Holger
        • Holger Will
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4 4:42 AM
            Holger Will schrieb:

            > Nicholas Lucaroni schrieb:
            >
            > > I don't want to seem like an a$$ for reposting this, but it is very
            > > odd, and want to make sure that the necessary people see this.
            > >
            > > problem: Upgrading from adobe SVG viewer 3.02 -> 3.03 causes my SVG
            > > page not to be displayed. It's an ASP page that renders database
            > > information into dynamically drawn flow chart. The SVG is an embedded
            > > object on a page with some simple directions on navigation.
            > >
            > > I've looked around the internet and have seen other places with the
            > > same issue. There solution is "DONT UPGRADE TO 3.03!". It seems like
            > > a co-out to me. What is the problem?
            > >
            > > While writing the page i used the 1.1 specs on the SVG reference
            > > page, so my SVG should be correct. I think the issue is with ASP,
            > > rendering the SVG returns a HTML document, not one with an SVG
            > > extension. (when you right click on the document in 3.02 then
            > > click "view SVG" it pops up a page of text(all the text objects on in
            > > the SVG image), and the URL extension is .htm.
            > >
            > > So what do you all think? is that the possible reason? has anyone
            > > experiemented with SVG and ASP, i've seen pages with SVG and ASP.NET
            > > but they weren't old or anything, but probably used 3.02. Thanks for
            > > your help, i hope someone can help me.
            > >
            > > -nick
            >
            > Hi Nick
            > there are a few thing you have to care about, so that dynamicly
            > generated svgs work across browsers.
            >
            > 1.you have to set the right Mime Type :
            > response.contentEncoding="image/svg+xml" (make sure that this mime is

            ups! make that response.contentType !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

            > registered in your iis)
            > 2.use the correct namespace, e.g. make sure your svg document starts
            > like this:
            > <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
            > 3. make sure your querystring ends with .svg
            > http://yourdomain/yourasp.asp?ex=.svg
            >
            > if you dont do 3., IE will somtimes not render your SVG, so i guess this
            > is what your looking for.
            >
            > hth
            > Holger

          • gh_urban
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4 11:03 AM
              I have a sucessful implementatin of ASV 3.03, Build 94 with IIS 5.0
              serving asp>svg usign dynamic mapping

              as well as having the contentType statement as holger states, you
              should also map the .svg extension to the asp.dll

              this way you can call filename.svg?anyvar=any

              hope this helps.

              Garry

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Holger Will <holger@t...>