RE: [svg-developers] Running ASV3/Javascript/Explorer app from CD

  • Bob Hunter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
      We've explained this to our customers as a safety feature introduced by
      Microsoft and how to click on the bar to allow the svg to run, etc. The
      customers have had no problem accepting this explanation.

      But, if you really want to remove the restriction, you can turn-off the
      protection it provides by having the user go to the IE Tools --> Internet
      Options menu item. Select the Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Security
      section, and check "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer."
      Click OK and your users won't be bothered again. But, they also won't have
      the protection this option affords.

      Bob

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
        "Sherm" <sstevens@...> wrote in message
        > I've developed a web-based app that uses javascript & SVG with ASV3
        > to run off a CD. Unfortunately, upon launching the initial window in
        > IE6, a warning appears in the info bar at the top of the browser,
        > prompting the user for approval to run 'active content.' It's a bit
        > of a roadblock for our user base.

        Use a webserver on the CD - something like microweb, and then security
        warnings won't happen.

        Jim.
      • Sherm
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2005
          Jim,

          sorry, I just now saw this reply. Thanks for the idea. I wasn't aware
          there was anything that portable, I'll check it out.

          Sherm
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ley" <jim@j...> wrote:

          > "Sherm" <sstevens@i...> wrote in message
          > > I've developed a web-based app that uses javascript & SVG with ASV3
          > > to run off a CD. Unfortunately, upon launching the initial window
          in
          > > IE6, a warning appears in the info bar at the top of the browser,
          > > prompting the user for approval to run 'active content.' It's a bit
          > > of a roadblock for our user base.
          >
          > Use a webserver on the CD - something like microweb, and then
          security
          > warnings won't happen.
        • Sherm
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 17, 2005
            Mark,

            I use the standard 'svgcheck' that adobe offers to check for
            installation of the plugin. We also include it on the CD in case the
            user doesn't have a live internet connection. And it's included in
            the list of system requirements on the CD packaging.

            I was initially just trying to get rid of the annoying messages
            during development. Once you open a browser window in IE, and
            approved running scripts, it doesn't prompt you again.

            I was able to disable it on my browser manually (TOOLS>INTERNET
            OPTIONS>ADVANCED tab >"allow active content from CDs to run on My
            Computer") thanks to another poster in this group. We'll have to
            simply include written instructions for our users to make this
            selection in their browser.

            Because it's a security selection, it doesn't appear to be
            changeable by a script.

            Thanks for the response, Mark.

            Sherm

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Birbeck"
            <Mark.Birbeck@x> wrote:
            > Sherm,
            >
            > How do your users get ASV in the first place, though? Off the same
            CD, or do