The language that SVG Scripts against

  • kggsystem
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
      Is there a reference to the Scripting language (and XML DOM) used by
      the Adobe ASV3 viewer?

      I can be more specific. I have been trying to make calls on a node
      like this

      Node.selectSingleNode("g/rect[@id='Francis']");

      E.g. I am trying to use XPath expressions and the ::selectSingleNode
      API.

      It does not seem to work in the SVG DOM/Scripting implementation.

      Makes me wonder where is a(the) definitive reference to the
      scripting language and XML DOM implementation used by SVG. If it is
      not supported fine, but I find there are few methods available to
      search the DOM tree for specific nodes.

      ::getElementByID is only callable from the Document object, so if
      you are deeper down in the tree, and wnat to search even deeper it
      seems like you're out of luck?

      Or am I out to lunch?

      Thanks
      Kevin
    • maria ulfa
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2005
        hi, kevin
        i just wanna tell you that it also happen to me, and i can't find the solution.i'm using IE6.0. what about you?
        thanks

        kggsystem <kevgor@...> wrote:
[...]

        visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"

      • Omar Abo-Namous
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2005
          kggsystem wrote:
          > Is there a reference to the Scripting language (and XML DOM) used by
          > the Adobe ASV3 viewer?
          >
          > I can be more specific. I have been trying to make calls on a node
          > like this
          >
          > Node.selectSingleNode("g/rect[@id='Francis']");
          >
          > E.g. I am trying to use XPath expressions and the ::selectSingleNode
          > API.
          >
          > It does not seem to work in the SVG DOM/Scripting implementation.
          >
          > Makes me wonder where is a(the) definitive reference to the
          > scripting language and XML DOM implementation used by SVG. If it is
          > not supported fine, but I find there are few methods available to
          > search the DOM tree for specific nodes.
          >
          > ::getElementByID is only callable from the Document object, so if
          > you are deeper down in the tree, and wnat to search even deeper it
          > seems like you're out of luck?

          Hi,
          had the same problem so i wrote a simple function to search through the
          kids of an element. Isn't really that complicated and it's by sure not a
          object-friendly way to do it, but hey..

          function getChildById(parentElement, childId)
          {
          var childElement = null;
          var children = parentElement.childNodes;

          for (var i=0; i<(children.length); i++)
          {
          if (children.item(i).id==childId)
          {
          childElement = children.item(i);
          break;
          return childElement;
          }

          cya.

          Omar

          > Or am I out to lunch?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Kevin

          > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"
          > ----
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Martin Honnen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2005
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "kggsystem" <kevgor@s...> wrote:
            > Is there a reference to the Scripting language (and XML DOM) used by
            > the Adobe ASV3 viewer?

            Yes, Adobe provides the documentation about the viewer and the DOM its
            implements here:
            <http://www.adobe.com/svg/indepth/releasenotes.html>
            so make use of that.
            The DOM is documented in here:
            <http://www.adobe.com/svg/indepth/pdfs/CurrentSupport.pdf>

            The scripting language is JavaScript or JScript depending on the
            browser and the scripting engine used.
          • Alastair Fettes
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2005
              The following is part of the DOM and implemented by ASV 3:

              function foo( evt )
              {
              var SVGDoc = evt.target.ownerDocument;
              var bar = SVGDoc.getElementById( "SPARK" );
              }

              Basically if you have a reference to ANY element in the tree, you need
              to get its ownerDocument, then call getElementById on the owner document.

              Also, the language isn't jscript or javascript, its ecmascript. The
              best references that are non-viewer specific are found here:

              DOM Level 2:
              http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/ecma-script-binding.html

              SVG DOM (* You will find the getElementById function here):
              http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/ecmascript-binding.html

              Note that Adobe has not implemented the entire DOM. You need to look
              through the release notes posted earlier on this thread to figure out
              what is and what isn't implemented.

              Cheers,
              Alastair
              http://spark.sourceforge.net

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Omar Abo-Namous

            • svg3nius
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
                > > Is there a reference to the Scripting language (and XML DOM) used
                by
                > > the Adobe ASV3 viewer?
                >
                > Yes, Adobe provides the documentation about the viewer and the DOM
                its
                > implements here:
                > <http://www.adobe.com/svg/indepth/releasenotes.html>
                > so make use of that.
                > The DOM is documented in here:
                > <http://www.adobe.com/svg/indepth/pdfs/CurrentSupport.pdf>
                >
                > The scripting language is JavaScript or JScript depending on the
                > browser and the scripting engine used.

                Has Adobe documented their ASV6 Preview Release in a similar fashion?
                Does anyone know where ASV6 SVG DOM support is documented (if it is
                anywhere)?

                (My apologies if this posts twice... having some issues with Yahoo!
                Groups).

                Thanks in advance,
                Justin Voshell
              • Holger Will
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
                  svg3nius schrieb:

                  > > > Is there a reference to the Scripting language (and XML DOM) used
                  > by
                  > > > the Adobe ASV3 viewer?
                  > >
                  > > Yes, Adobe provides the documentation about the viewer and the DOM
                  > its
                  > > implements here:
                  > > <http://www.adobe.com/svg/indepth/releasenotes.html>
                  > > so make use of that.
                  > > The DOM is documented in here:
                  > > <http://www.adobe.com/svg/indepth/pdfs/CurrentSupport.pdf>
                  > >
                  > > The scripting language is JavaScript or JScript depending on the
                  > > browser and the scripting engine used.
                  >
                  > Has Adobe documented their ASV6 Preview Release in a similar fashion?
                  > Does anyone know where ASV6 SVG DOM support is documented (if it is
                  > anywhere)?
                  >
                  > (My apologies if this posts twice... having some issues with Yahoo!
                  > Groups).
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance,
                  > Justin Voshell

                  Hi Justin

                  yes , ASV6 is also ducumented. look for the file "implementation White
                  Paper.html" in your ASV6 installation directory, ( mostly in
                  c:/programs/shared/SVG Viewer 6.0/ ).

                  cheers
                  Holger

                  p.s.: i dont know if this paper is online anywhere.