RE: [svg-developers] Running ASV3/Javascript/Explorer app from CD

  • Mark Birbeck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
      Sherm,

      How do your users get ASV in the first place, though? Off the same CD, or do
      you assume that they already have it?

      As to the XP2 problem, it would depend on your code what you can do. Some
      things with XP SP2 are controlled by security settings, but there are other
      things that seem to be non-negotiable, and will always cause an error. If
      you're able to describe your architecture a bit more, I might be able to
      give you some pointers, since we've have problems with this, too.

      Regards,

      Mark

      Mark Birbeck
      CEO
      x-port.net Ltd.

      e: Mark.Birbeck@...
      t: +44 (0) 20 7689 9232
      w: http://www.formsPlayer.com/
      b: http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/

      Download our XForms processor from
      http://www.formsPlayer.com/

    • Bob Hunter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
        We've explained this to our customers as a safety feature introduced by
        Microsoft and how to click on the bar to allow the svg to run, etc. The
        customers have had no problem accepting this explanation.

        But, if you really want to remove the restriction, you can turn-off the
        protection it provides by having the user go to the IE Tools --> Internet
        Options menu item. Select the Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Security
        section, and check "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer."
        Click OK and your users won't be bothered again. But, they also won't have
        the protection this option affords.

        Bob

        _____

[...]

        * Visit your group "svg-developers
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers> " on the web.

        _____

      • Jim Ley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
          "Sherm" <sstevens@...> wrote in message
          > I've developed a web-based app that uses javascript & SVG with ASV3
          > to run off a CD. Unfortunately, upon launching the initial window in
          > IE6, a warning appears in the info bar at the top of the browser,
          > prompting the user for approval to run 'active content.' It's a bit
          > of a roadblock for our user base.

          Use a webserver on the CD - something like microweb, and then security
          warnings won't happen.

          Jim.
        • Sherm
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2005
            Jim,

            sorry, I just now saw this reply. Thanks for the idea. I wasn't aware
            there was anything that portable, I'll check it out.

            Sherm
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ley" <jim@j...> wrote:

            > "Sherm" <sstevens@i...> wrote in message
            > > I've developed a web-based app that uses javascript & SVG with ASV3
            > > to run off a CD. Unfortunately, upon launching the initial window
            in
            > > IE6, a warning appears in the info bar at the top of the browser,
            > > prompting the user for approval to run 'active content.' It's a bit
            > > of a roadblock for our user base.
            >
            > Use a webserver on the CD - something like microweb, and then
            security
            > warnings won't happen.
          • Sherm
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 17, 2005
              Mark,

              I use the standard 'svgcheck' that adobe offers to check for
              installation of the plugin. We also include it on the CD in case the
              user doesn't have a live internet connection. And it's included in
              the list of system requirements on the CD packaging.

              I was initially just trying to get rid of the annoying messages
              during development. Once you open a browser window in IE, and
              approved running scripts, it doesn't prompt you again.

              I was able to disable it on my browser manually (TOOLS>INTERNET
              OPTIONS>ADVANCED tab >"allow active content from CDs to run on My
              Computer") thanks to another poster in this group. We'll have to
              simply include written instructions for our users to make this
              selection in their browser.

              Because it's a security selection, it doesn't appear to be
              changeable by a script.

              Thanks for the response, Mark.

              Sherm

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Birbeck"