Re: Google Maps

  • Randy George
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1 6:59 AM
      In addition to releasing an api to Google maps, Google has expanded their
      maps to cover the world (v=w2.4), not in the same detail as the US though.

      http://www.web-maps.com/GoogleMapExplore/

      The expansion has made lat,long calculations in Google Land much easier. The
      keyhole imagery is also accessible but I believe the Terraserver WMS DOQQ is
      easier to correlate and probably the imagery is better for the USA. I wonder
      if Google keyhole has opened up world wide imagery?

      I haven't looked too seriously at the api

      http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/

      It should offer some interesting possibilities beyond simply showing the
      google map tiles under svg, especially if they eventually expand the api to
      include routing and geocoding.

      randy

    • William McKenzie
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1 7:32 AM
        This is the biggest threat to their business that ESRI will ever see.

        In addition to releasing an api to Google maps, Google has expanded their
        maps to cover the world (v=w2.4), not in the same detail as the US though.

        http://www.web-maps.com/GoogleMapExplore/

        The expansion has made lat,long calculations in Google Land much easier. The
        keyhole imagery is also accessible but I believe the Terraserver WMS DOQQ is
        easier to correlate and probably the imagery is better for the USA. I wonder
        if Google keyhole has opened up world wide imagery?

        I haven't looked too seriously at the api

        http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/

        It should offer some interesting possibilities beyond simply showing the
        google map tiles under svg, especially if they eventually expand the api to
        include routing and geocoding.

        randy

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Alastair Fettes
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1 10:21 AM
          Not really. ESRI technology is so much more than just maps with
          lat/longs.

          Alastair

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "William McKenzie" <bill@c...>
          wrote:
          > This is the biggest threat to their business that ESRI will ever see.

        • Ernesto Mislej
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1 3:46 PM
            Do anyone know a GIS Client with SVG + AJAX similar to maps.google or
            ka-map?

            Greets, Ernesto
          • hai_va
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3 8:09 PM
              An example at website: www.smap.vdc.com.vn/webmap/applet/default.htm,
              but the language is Vietnamese only!

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Ernesto Mislej <emislej@a...>
              wrote:
              > Do anyone know a GIS Client with SVG + AJAX similar to maps.google
              or
              > ka-map?
              >
              > Greets, Ernesto
            • Z T Minhas
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 19, 2005

                Is there a programmatic way in java to embed my SVG document, which has
                lots of javascript into PDF? I am currently using FOP. but i am not sure
                how I can use FOP to embed SVG into PDF.

                Zafar
              • sara_j_porter
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 20, 2005
                  Anyone care to comment on the Google Maps API?
                  http://www.google.com/apis/maps/

                  When I searched "SVG" in the Google Maps Group
                  (http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps-API), some listings came up.

                  Samples of the mash-ups can be found on this guy's blog:
                  http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/

                  Sara Porter
                • Jim Ley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 20, 2005
                    "sara_j_porter" <sjporter@...> wrote in message
                    > Anyone care to comment on the Google Maps API?

                    Sure, it's an API, it's very mappy..

                    > When I searched "SVG" in the Google Maps Group
                    > (http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps-API), some listings came up.

                    Yeah, both me and completely independantly and before me Ted Mielczarek
                    modified the API to support SVG lines in SVG UA's, it's not really
                    interesting until Google adds it properly though, these API modification
                    methods will not be robust to future changes, so will never be genuinely
                    usable.

                    Nice to see you back Sara...

                    Cheers,

                    Jim.