Running ASV3/Javascript/Explorer app from CD

  • Sherm
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
      I've developed a web-based app that uses javascript & SVG with ASV3
      to run off a CD. Unfortunately, upon launching the initial window in
      IE6, a warning appears in the info bar at the top of the browser,
      prompting the user for approval to run 'active content.' It's a bit
      of a roadblock for our user base.

      This app ran just fine in IE5.5 and in other operating systems. This
      hurdle is causing some concern with management about our user base
      being able to deal with this warning message easily. We would prefer
      to not have to deal with it all ;)

      Is there any way to disable security in a user's browser? I've tried
      to lower security on my test system to its lowest setting, but the
      warning message still appears.

      Unfortunately, switching to another browser is not an option.
      Getting our entire target audience to use another browser just
      wouldn't work.

      Sherm Stevens
      iNvision Studios
    • Mark Birbeck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
        Sherm,

        How do your users get ASV in the first place, though? Off the same CD, or do
        you assume that they already have it?

        As to the XP2 problem, it would depend on your code what you can do. Some
        things with XP SP2 are controlled by security settings, but there are other
        things that seem to be non-negotiable, and will always cause an error. If
        you're able to describe your architecture a bit more, I might be able to
        give you some pointers, since we've have problems with this, too.

        Regards,

        Mark

        Mark Birbeck
        CEO
        x-port.net Ltd.

        e: Mark.Birbeck@...
        t: +44 (0) 20 7689 9232
        w: http://www.formsPlayer.com/
        b: http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/

        Download our XForms processor from
        http://www.formsPlayer.com/

      • Bob Hunter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
          We've explained this to our customers as a safety feature introduced by
          Microsoft and how to click on the bar to allow the svg to run, etc. The
          customers have had no problem accepting this explanation.

          But, if you really want to remove the restriction, you can turn-off the
          protection it provides by having the user go to the IE Tools --> Internet
          Options menu item. Select the Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Security
          section, and check "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer."
          Click OK and your users won't be bothered again. But, they also won't have
          the protection this option affords.

          Bob

          _____

[...]

          * Visit your group "svg-developers
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers> " on the web.

          _____

        • Jim Ley
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
            "Sherm" <sstevens@...> wrote in message
            > I've developed a web-based app that uses javascript & SVG with ASV3
            > to run off a CD. Unfortunately, upon launching the initial window in
            > IE6, a warning appears in the info bar at the top of the browser,
            > prompting the user for approval to run 'active content.' It's a bit
            > of a roadblock for our user base.

            Use a webserver on the CD - something like microweb, and then security
            warnings won't happen.

            Jim.
          • Sherm
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11, 2005
              Jim,

              sorry, I just now saw this reply. Thanks for the idea. I wasn't aware
              there was anything that portable, I'll check it out.

              Sherm
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ley" <jim@j...> wrote:

              > "Sherm" <sstevens@i...> wrote in message
              > > I've developed a web-based app that uses javascript & SVG with ASV3
              > > to run off a CD. Unfortunately, upon launching the initial window
              in
              > > IE6, a warning appears in the info bar at the top of the browser,
              > > prompting the user for approval to run 'active content.' It's a bit
              > > of a roadblock for our user base.
              >
              > Use a webserver on the CD - something like microweb, and then
              security
              > warnings won't happen.
            • Sherm
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2005
                Mark,

                I use the standard 'svgcheck' that adobe offers to check for
                installation of the plugin. We also include it on the CD in case the
                user doesn't have a live internet connection. And it's included in
                the list of system requirements on the CD packaging.

                I was initially just trying to get rid of the annoying messages
                during development. Once you open a browser window in IE, and
                approved running scripts, it doesn't prompt you again.

                I was able to disable it on my browser manually (TOOLS>INTERNET
                OPTIONS>ADVANCED tab >"allow active content from CDs to run on My
                Computer") thanks to another poster in this group. We'll have to
                simply include written instructions for our users to make this
                selection in their browser.

                Because it's a security selection, it doesn't appear to be
                changeable by a script.

                Thanks for the response, Mark.

                Sherm

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Birbeck"