How to show a sequence of frames as a movie?

  • Michael Marks
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
      Hi, all. I've been studying SVG for all of two days now, looking for a
      convenient way to solve this problem I have.

      I'm running simulations that generate snapshots of the simulated
      system's state. I postprocess the snapshots with Mathematica to produce
      a sequence of Mathematica plots. See this animated GIF
      <http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QE_EQhwB89x31DkaABY603BqVKNY3w7JFF5BKmMEEzifQ3eJJkP7mrDZ8RhZXJoN721HPzqgG_Aj5Xoq3xoUeWB1EqxAN5KD8BNL_Ag/svg%20movie%20help/tiers.test.gif>
      example of what I want it to look like.

      I want to view the sequence as a movie, with each plot as a frame that's
      displayed for some short time duration, e.g. 0.2s. Kind of like a
      high-speed slide show. Mathematica can do this but it can't plot
      hundreds or thousands of frames because it does it in an overly
      memory-intensive way. Mathematica can export my frames as SVG files,
      one per frame (this is an example frame
      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QE_EQqmUf1R31DkabCc_ChLaGESdx4gDpBltZSq8lJmm2_Mo-yLJmn6rd96lHbJmqMDyYfkCuiPiGib9LYA63jAflf3lCpXUYGzFFaM/svg%20movie%20help/huh0018.svg>)
      but I don't know how to combine the frames into a movie.

      As long as I'm wishing, here's my full wish list:
      1. An SVG script that "plays" my frames as I describe above.
      2. Ability to start, stop, back up and "jog" the playback. (I.e., I
      want to dynamically set the time interval between display of each frame
      and the forwards/backwards direction of play.)
      3. Ability to resize, pan and zoom the frames while play is stopped.

      Can anyone point me to resources for doing this?

      Also, I've noticed that the Adobe viewer doesn't render the text in my
      frame in the way Mathematica did. Ditto for squiggle, plus it chops off
      the text at the top of the frame.

      Any pointers on why this is happening?

      Thanks, everyone for your help.

      - Michael

    • G. Wade Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
        Hi Michael,

        There are several 'slideshow' type applications out there. I wrote the
        one at http://www.anomaly.org/wade/projects/slideshow/.

        It will run by itself, step forward, and step backward. But, I don't
        think it currently handles everything you need. (You'll probably also
        want to speed up the refresh rate.

        Enjoy,
        G. Wade

        --
        That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier, and
        complex tasks impossible.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
          Hi Michael,
          Unfortunately the web-sites you gave, were not available.
          If I understand correctly, you want to apply SVG for mathematical
          animations. I am using such things, but with pure SVG and Ecma
          script. In order to see a smooth animation you need a refresh time of
          about 40 msec. Other way to do it, is to do let the user interact and
          obtain the frames one by one.
          They are examples of both at
          http://mathanimated.com
          If this is really what you want, then contact me off-list for more
          information.
          Cheers, Samy

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "G. Wade Johnson"

        • Xiaoping Gao
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
            From a test I did using Adobe SVG Viewer , the a:audio element appeared to begin even if the associated audio file did not exist.

            For example:
            <a:audio xlink:href="test.wav" begin="6s" />
            It began even if the test.wav file didn't exist. The way I knew was that another element got started based on the start of this audio element.

            Does anybody know if there is a way to set the a:audio element to begin only when the audio file it invokes exists?

            Is there a way to make sure that the begin event of a:audio should not fire off if the audio file is not available?

            Thanks,

            Xiaoping

            visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"