New on this, trying to do something new...

  • jucabapa79
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 29, 2005
      Hello, I am Travsam, I am new on this matters of SVG and I wanted to
      try to do something different using SVG Code for my midterm project, a
      simulation of the board game Monopoly.

      The trouble I want to ask about is about the dices, I tried some ways
      to animate the dices, but even that i now how to select random numbers
      using JavaScript the rest of the code is not working properly.

      What recommendation would you give me?

      I will be happy to read your replies.

      Greetings
    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
        Hi,

        can you isolate the problem and post a small example where the code
        does not work? Or at least better describe what you want to achieve
        and where exactly you fail? Otherwise we can't really understand
        your problem.

        If you have general questions for scripting and DOM, you can have a
        look at the SVG/DOM/Scripting tutorial at
        http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/manipulating_svg_with_dom_ecmascript/

        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jucabapa79"
        <jucabapa79@y...> wrote:
        > Hello, I am Travsam, I am new on this matters of SVG and I wanted
        > try to do something different using SVG Code for my midterm
        project, a
        > simulation of the board game Monopoly.
        >
        > The trouble I want to ask about is about the dices, I tried some
        ways
        > to animate the dices, but even that i now how to select random
        numbers
        > using JavaScript the rest of the code is not working properly.
        >
        > What recommendation would you give me?
        >
        > I will be happy to read your replies.
        >
        > Greetings
      • jucabapa79
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
          Hello, thank you very much for the answer.

          I want to explain the trouble I am doing now.

          First of all I want to develop a die, it means this object will
          allow the piece to move, depending of the number the dice throws the
          piece will move, in SVG Talking it means that the button of throw
          the die will control the movement of the piece.

          I wanted to make the animation of the die showing the number but i
          found it difficult, there are some ways : to show and hide some svg
          illustrations that are in the same place.

          By now I try an easy way, only a button to make the animation of the
          piece on the board, but i still have troubles with it.

          If the code is needed please let me know.

          Greetings and thanks.

          Travsam

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann"
          <neumann@k...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > can you isolate the problem and post a small example where the
          code
          > does not work? Or at least better describe what you want to
          achieve
          > and where exactly you fail? Otherwise we can't really understand
          > your problem.
          >
          > If you have general questions for scripting and DOM, you can have
          > look at the SVG/DOM/Scripting tutorial at

          http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/manipulating_svg_with_dom_ecmascript/

          > Andreas
          >
          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jucabapa79"
          > <jucabapa79@y...> wrote:
          > > Hello, I am Travsam, I am new on this matters of SVG and I
          wanted
          > > try to do something different using SVG Code for my midterm
          > project, a
          > > simulation of the board game Monopoly.
          > >
          > > The trouble I want to ask about is about the dices, I tried some
          > ways
          > > to animate the dices, but even that i now how to select random
          > numbers
          > > using JavaScript the rest of the code is not working properly.
          > >
          > > What recommendation would you give me?
          > >
          > > I will be happy to read your replies.
          > >
          > > Greetings
        • Samuel Dagan
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
            Hi Travsam,
            Welcome to the club. If you are trying to animate the motion of a
            dice in 3 dimensions, forget it, this is not for a mid-term project.
            You have to simulate the results of a die as a square, in which you
            can display one of the 6 possibilities, of the results of throwing a
            dice, by scripting visibilty="visible" and "hidden". This is simple
            and so the rest of the monopoly game animation.
            Cheers, Samy

            wrote:
            > Hello, thank you very much for the answer.
            >
            > I want to explain the trouble I am doing now.
            >
            > First of all I want to develop a die, it means this object will
            > allow the piece to move, depending of the number the dice throws
            the
            > piece will move, in SVG Talking it means that the button of throw
            > the die will control the movement of the piece.
            >
            > I wanted to make the animation of the die showing the number but i
            > found it difficult, there are some ways : to show and hide some svg
            > illustrations that are in the same place.
            >
            > By now I try an easy way, only a button to make the animation of
            the
            > piece on the board, but i still have troubles with it.
            >
            > If the code is needed please let me know.
            >
            > Greetings and thanks.
            >
            > Travsam
            >
            > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann"
            > <neumann@k...> wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > can you isolate the problem and post a small example where the
            > code
            > > does not work? Or at least better describe what you want to
            > achieve
            > > and where exactly you fail? Otherwise we can't really understand
            > > your problem.
            > >
            > > If you have general questions for scripting and DOM, you can have
            > > look at the SVG/DOM/Scripting tutorial at

            http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/manipulating_svg_with_dom_ecmascript/

            > > Andreas
            > >
            > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jucabapa79"
            > > <jucabapa79@y...> wrote:
            > > > Hello, I am Travsam, I am new on this matters of SVG and I
            > wanted
            > > > try to do something different using SVG Code for my midterm
            > > project, a
            > > > simulation of the board game Monopoly.
            > > >
            > > > The trouble I want to ask about is about the dices, I tried
            some
            > > ways
            > > > to animate the dices, but even that i now how to select random
            > > numbers
            > > > using JavaScript the rest of the code is not working properly.
            > > >
            > > > What recommendation would you give me?
            > > >
            > > > I will be happy to read your replies.
            > > >
            > > > Greetings
          • jucabapa79
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2005
              Hello Mr. Dagan:

              Thanks for the sugestion, i know that SVG can not support 3d
              animation, also my asesor told me about it, I will try to develop
              the dice as you suggest, anyway by know the trouble is how to
              control another animation with the result of the dice, I mean, I
              want to move a piece in the board using the result of the random
              number obtained in the dice, If I have time tomorrow i will send my
              first tryings with the code of this animation.

              Thanks again.

              Travsam

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel Dagan" <dagan@a...>

            • jucabapa79
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 3, 2005
                Well, for begin this, I could first refer for the code i made for
                show the dice results. This is not running properly when i test it
                in the computer, it don't shows anything. What's wrong?

                Greetings

                Travsam

                -------------------------This is the code--------------------------
                <?xml version="1.0"?>

                <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG
                1.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd">
                <svg width="500px" height="500px" viewBox="0 0 500 500">
                <script language="text/ecmasscript">
                <![CDATA[
                /** Configures the dice according to a six number's random select.
                It should change the visibility status of one or two of four
                different SVG objects forming dice forms.
                The default number is 1, the visibility will change depending
                of the number, cases of number 3 and 5 will be
                made over combinations of forms two and four combinations with
                the one combination.
                */
                function throwdice(){
                //create a random integer between 0 and 5
                var randomDice=Math.round(Math.random()*5)
                dice = randomDice
                switch (dice)
                {

                case 1:
                d1.visibility("hidden")
                d2.visibility("visible")
                d4.visibility("hidden")
                d6.visibility("hidden")
                break
                case 2:
                d1.visibility("visible")
                d2.visibility("visible")
                d4.visibility("hidden")
                d6.visibility("hidden")
                break
                case 3:
                d1.visibility("hidden")
                d2.visibility("hidden")
                d4.visibility("visible")
                d6.visibility("hidden")
                break
                case 4:
                d1.visibility("visible")
                d2.visibility("hidden")
                d4.visibility("visible")
                d6.visibility("hidden")
                break
                case 5:
                d1.visibility("hidden")
                d2.visibility("hidden")
                d4.visibility("hidden")
                d6.visibility("visible")
                break
                default:
                d1.visibility("visible")
                d2.visibility("hidden")
                d4.visibility("hidden")
                d6.visibility("hidden")
                break
                ]]>

                </script>
                <!-- creating the dice pictures, as I refered, the forms are based
                in dice forms, there are not
                three and five forms because it was based on combinations of one and
                other combination (It means, five
                will be made combining four and one combination and three will be
                made combining two and one). Also
                there is the button that can throw the dice-->
                <defs>
                <g onclick="throwDice();">
                <rect x="70" y="10" width="60" height="20" rx="4" ry="4"
                style="fill: #ddd;"/>
                <text x="100" y="25" style="text-anchor:
                middle;">Throw</text>
                </g>
                <g id="d6" visibility="hidden">
                <rect x="50" y="50" height="100" width="100" style="stroke:
                black; fill: none;"/>
                <circle cx="125" cy="125" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                <circle cx="75" cy="75" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                <circle cx="125" cy="75" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                <circle cx="75" cy="125" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                <circle cx="75" cy="100" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                <circle cx="125" cy="100" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                </g>
                <g id="d1" visibility="visible">
                <rect x="50" y="50" height="100" width="100" style="stroke:
                black; fill: none;"/>
                <circle cx="100" cy="100" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                </g>
                <g id="d2" visibility="hidden">
                <rect x="50" y="50" height="100" width="100" style="stroke:
                black; fill: none;"/>
                <circle cx="125" cy="125" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                <circle cx="75" cy="75" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                </g>
                <g id="d4" visibility="hidden">
                <rect x="50" y="50" height="100" width="100" style="stroke:
                black; fill: none;"/>
                <circle cx="125" cy="125" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                <circle cx="75" cy="75" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                <circle cx="125" cy="75" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                <circle cx="75" cy="125" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                blue;"/>
                </g>
                </defs>
                </svg>
              • Samuel Dagan
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 4, 2005
                  Hi Travsam,
                  As an answer to your question, many things are wrong in your
                  script: where are the end marks of the command lines(;) ?
                  What is: d1.visibility("hidden") ? This is not an ecmascript command!
                  I undeststand that this is your mid-term project, so you have to
                  pick up a book from the library of your college, and first learn how
                  to code ecma-script for SVG.
                  In the SVG coding, you have everything inside <defs>....</defs>,
                  where are the <use>....</use> ? You have also to learn SVG! You can
                  use the same book for both.
                  Good luck with YOUR project, Samy

                  wrote:
> [...]
                  > </g>
                  > <g id="d2" visibility="hidden">
                  > <rect x="50" y="50" height="100" width="100" style="stroke:
                  > black; fill: none;"/>
                  > <circle cx="125" cy="125" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                  > blue;"/>
                  > <circle cx="75" cy="75" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                  > blue;"/>
                  > </g>
                  > <g id="d4" visibility="hidden">
                  > <rect x="50" y="50" height="100" width="100" style="stroke:
                  > black; fill: none;"/>
                  > <circle cx="125" cy="125" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                  > blue;"/>
                  > <circle cx="75" cy="75" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                  > blue;"/>
                  > <circle cx="125" cy="75" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                  > blue;"/>
                  > <circle cx="75" cy="125" r="10" style="stroke: none; fill:
                • jucabapa79
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 4, 2005
                    Oh yes, I am sorry, thank you for aclaring this, in fact I found by
                    myself some of the mistakes, but even that i corrected the syntax
                    mistakes, I can not find the correct SVG code for make the correct
                    animation..., this is the new code, and even that i can see some of
                    the code i want, it still don't runs properly clicking the throw
                    button.

                    I know that is my project, I know that I am only an student and I am
                    still learning this, that is why I am asking for advices.

                    Thank you very much.

                    Travsam.

                    <?xml version="1.0"?>

                    <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG
                    1.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd">
                    <svg width="1000px" height="1000px" viewBox="0 0 1000 1000">
                    <script language="text/ecmasscript">
                    <![CDATA[
                    /** Configures the dice according to a six number's random select.
                    It should change the visibility status of one SVG object
                    forming dice forms.
                    The default number is 1, the visibility will change depending
                    of the number.
                    */

                    function throwDice(){

                    var randomDice=Math.round(Math.random()*5);
                    dice = randomDice;

                    switch ( dice )
                    {

                    case 1:
                    var d2 = svgDocument.getElementbyId("d2");
                    d2.setAttribute( "visibility", visStatus );
                    break;
                    case 2:
                    var d3 = svgDocument.getElementbyId("d3");
                    d3.setAttribute( "visibility", visStatus );
                    break;
                    case 3:
                    var d4 = svgDocument.getElementbyId("d4");
                    d4.setAttribute( "visibility", visStatus );
                    break;
                    case 4:
                    var d5 = svgDocument.getElementbyId("d5");
                    d5.setAttribute( "visibility", visStatus );
                    break;
                    case 5:
                    var d6 = svgDocument.getElementbyId("d6");
                    d6.setAttribute( "visibility", visStatus );
                    break;
                    default:
                    var d1 = svgDocument.getElementbyId("d1");
                    d1.setAttribute( "visibility", visStatus );

                    ]]>

                    </script>
                    <!-- creating the dice pictures that had to match with the value of
                    the random number-->

                    <g id="d1" visibility="visible">
                    <circle cx="100" cy="100" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    </g>
                    <g id="d2" visibility="hidden">
                    <circle cx="125" cy="125" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="75" cy="75" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    </g>
                    <g id="d3" visibility="hidden">
                    <circle cx="125" cy="125" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="75" cy="75" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="100" cy="100" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    </g>
                    <g id="d4" visibility="hidden">
                    <circle cx="125" cy="125" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="75" cy="75" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="125" cy="75" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="75" cy="125" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    </g>
                    <g id="d5" visibility="hidden">
                    <circle cx="125" cy="125" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="75" cy="75" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="125" cy="75" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="75" cy="125" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="100" cy="100" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    </g>
                    <g id="d6" visibility="hidden">
                    <circle cx="125" cy="125" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="75" cy="75" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="125" cy="75" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="75" cy="125" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="75" cy="100" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    <circle cx="125" cy="100" r="10" style="fill: blue;"/>
                    </g>

                    <!--creating the button Throw-->
                    <g onclick="throwDice();">
                    <rect x="70" y="10" width="60" height="20" rx="4" ry="4"
                    style="fill: #ddd;"/>
                    <text x="100" y="25" style="text-anchor:
                    middle;">Throw</text>
                    </g>
                    <!--creating the square that involves the dice-->
                    <rect x="50" y="50" height="100" width="100" style="fill:
                    none; stroke: black;"/>
                    </svg>
                  • Holger Will
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 5, 2005
                      jucabapa79 schrieb:

                      > Oh yes, I am sorry, thank you for aclaring this, in fact I found by
                      > myself some of the mistakes, but even that i corrected the syntax
                      > mistakes, I can not find the correct SVG code for make the correct
                      > animation..., this is the new code, and even that i can see some of
                      > the code i want, it still don't runs properly clicking the throw
                      > button.
                      >
                      > I know that is my project, I know that I am only an student and I am
                      > still learning this, that is why I am asking for advices.
                      >
                      > Thank you very much.
                      >
                      > Travsam.

                      Hi Travsam
                      there where a few flaws in your code. let me just mention this:
                      please allways declare the namespace(xmlns)!! like here:
                      <svg width="1000px" height="1000px" viewBox="0 0 1000 1000"
                      xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">

                      you can use this script, try to understand what im doing here:

                      <script>
                      <![CDATA[
                      function throwDice(){

                      var randomDice=Math.round(Math.random()*5) + 1;
                      dice = randomDice;

                      for(var i = 1;i<7;i++){
                      var d = document.getElementById("d"+ i);
                      if(i==dice){
                      d.setAttribute( "visibility", "visible" );
                      }else{
                      d.setAttribute( "visibility", "hidden" );

                      ]]>

                      </script>

                      hth
                      Holger
                    • jucabapa79
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 5, 2005
                        Hello Mr. Holger

                        I thank you very much for helping me, I forgot to put the reference
                        of the svg page and i will put it in my next codes.

                        Also I am reviewing the JavaScript code, I will learn of it and I
                        will try to apply this code to other function I want to assign to
                        the DiceValue code.

                        Thanks again.

                        Travsam

                        > <script>
                        > <![CDATA[
                        > function throwDice(){
                        >
                        > var randomDice=Math.round(Math.random()*5) + 1;
                        > dice = randomDice;
                        >
                        > for(var i = 1;i<7;i++){
                        > var d = document.getElementById("d"+ i);
                        > if(i==dice){
                        > d.setAttribute( "visibility", "visible" );
                        > }else{
                        > d.setAttribute( "visibility", "hidden" );
                        > }
                        >
                        > }
                        >

                        > }
                        >
                        > ]]>
                        >
                        > </script>
                        >
                        > hth
                        > Holger
                      • jucabapa79
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 5, 2005
                          Me again...

                          As I told in some of the messages my dice will have two functions,
                          the first one it was solved, but I still have troubles with the
                          second one.

                          The objective is to move a piece in the sides of a square board of
                          700*700 and I tried using the script down below.

                          But any moment I try to load the SVG the javascript reader gives an
                          exception because is expecting an object, but all SVG is loaded
                          properly, anyway anytime that I click on the "Throw" button gets the
                          same mistake.

                          Any suggestion?

                          Travsam

                          <script type="text/ecmasscript">
                          <![CDATA[
                          /** The dice should move a piece in a board, the piece is
                          in the right down corner, the piece has first to
                          move to the left, when it gets the corner will move up, and
                          so on, moving in the trayectory of the clock, the
                          movement will be controled by a random number between 1 and
                          6.
                          */

                          // svg variables
                          var svgdoc;
                          var svgroot;

                          // game area variables
                          var xMax = 700;
                          var yMax = 700;
                          var xMin = 100;
                          var yMin = 100;

                          // game variables
                          var piece;
                          var pieceX = 700;
                          var pieceY = 700;

                          function init (evt) {

                          svgdoc = evt.getTarget().getOwnerDocument();
                          svgroot = svgdoc.documentElement;
                          piece = svgdoc.getElementbyId("piece");

                          }

                          // function throwDice, it will choose a number between 1 and
                          6 and set it as value "dice"

                          function throwDice(){

                          var randomDice=Math.round(Math.random()*5) + 1;
                          dice = randomDice;

                          }
                          // function movePiece, first it will move the piece to the
                          left, then it
                          have to check when the piece arribes to the left corner then
                          it moves up and so
                          on, also it will use the counter "dice" that comes from the
                          throwDice function.

                          function movePiece()
                          {

                          Do
                          {
                          pieceX = pieceX - 100;
                          if pieceX = xMin and pieceY = yMax
                          {
                          pieceY = pieceY - 100;
                          }
                          else if pieceX = xMin AND pieceY = yMin
                          {
                          pieceX = pieceX + 100;
                          }
                          else if pieceX = xMax AND pieceY = yMin
                          {
                          pieceY = pieceY + 100;
                          }
                          Dice = Dice-1;
                          piece.setAttribute("cx",pieceX);
                          piece.setAttribute("cy",pieceY);
                          }
                          While Dice > 0;

                          }

                          // ]]>

                          </script>
                        • Holger Will
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 7, 2005
                            jucabapa79 schrieb:

                            > Me again...
                            >
                            > As I told in some of the messages my dice will have two functions,
                            > the first one it was solved, but I still have troubles with the
                            > second one.
                            >
                            > The objective is to move a piece in the sides of a square board of
                            > 700*700 and I tried using the script down below.
                            >
                            > But any moment I try to load the SVG the javascript reader gives an
                            > exception because is expecting an object, but all SVG is loaded
                            > properly, anyway anytime that I click on the "Throw" button gets the
                            > same mistake.
                            >
                            > Any suggestion?

                            hi
                            ive written two small examples,
                            the first is a simple game framework. showing a simple gameloop.
                            http://www.treebuilder.de/svg/monopoly01.svg
                            the second is a basic monopoly framework,
                            http://www.treebuilder.de/svg/monopoly02.svg
                            study both examples, if you have any questions concerning this code,
                            just ask.
                            cheers
                            Holger

                            > Travsam
                            >
                            > <script type="text/ecmasscript">
                            > <![CDATA[
                            > /** The dice should move a piece in a board, the piece is
                            > in the right down corner, the piece has first to
                            > move to the left, when it gets the corner will move up, and
                            > so on, moving in the trayectory of the clock, the
                            > movement will be controled by a random number between 1 and
                            > 6.
                            > */
                            >
                            > // svg variables
                            > var svgdoc;
                            > var svgroot;
                            >
                            > // game area variables
                            > var xMax = 700;
                            > var yMax = 700;
                            > var xMin = 100;
                            > var yMin = 100;
                            >
                            > // game variables
                            > var piece;
                            > var pieceX = 700;
                            > var pieceY = 700;
                            >
                            > function init (evt) {
                            >
                            > svgdoc = evt.getTarget().getOwnerDocument();
                            > svgroot = svgdoc.documentElement;
                            > piece = svgdoc.getElementbyId("piece");
                            >
                            > }
                            >
                            > // function throwDice, it will choose a number between 1 and
                            > 6 and set it as value "dice"
                            >
                            > function throwDice(){
                            >
                            > var randomDice=Math.round(Math.random()*5) + 1;
                            > dice = randomDice;
                            >

                            > }
                            > // function movePiece, first it will move the piece to the
                            > left, then it
                            > have to check when the piece arribes to the left corner then
                            > it moves up and so
                            > on, also it will use the counter "dice" that comes from the
                            > throwDice function.
                            >
                            > function movePiece()
                            > {
                            >
                            > Do
                            > {
                            > pieceX = pieceX - 100;
                            > if pieceX = xMin and pieceY = yMax
                            > {
                            > pieceY = pieceY - 100;
                            > }
                            > else if pieceX = xMin AND pieceY = yMin
                            > {
                            > pieceX = pieceX + 100;
                            > }
                            > else if pieceX = xMax AND pieceY = yMin
                            > {
                            > pieceY = pieceY + 100;
                            > }
                            > Dice = Dice-1;
                            > piece.setAttribute("cx",pieceX);
                            > piece.setAttribute("cy",pieceY);
                            > }
                            > While Dice > 0;
                            >
                            > }
                            >

                            > // ]]>
                            >
                            > </script>

                          • jucabapa79
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 7, 2005
                              Mr. Holger, I will check the code made by you and study all the
                              properties, so I can adapt it to my game board, and also to learn
                              more about scripting because for me it this the most difficult thing
                              in SVG.

                              I will do my best.

                              Travsam

                              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Holger Will <holger@t...>

                            • jucabapa79
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 7, 2005
                                Good afternoon.

                                I review the code made by Mr. Holger and this is working properly in
                                a 3 X 3 board, but I have troubles to make it run properly in a 6 X
                                6 board what I mean?

                                First I made that my game pieces run in the down right corner, but
                                when the pieces began to run using the throw button, they are
                                running first one space to the left and then one space down, and
                                they never go straight in one direction and also they go out of the
                                board.

                                Would someone explain me what is going on? What do you suggest to
                                correct this bug and made it run properly?

                                Greetings.

                                Travsam

                                <jucabapa79@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                                > > > var pieceX = 700;
                                > > > var pieceY = 700;
                                > > >
                                > > > function init (evt) {
                                > > >
                                > > > svgdoc = evt.getTarget().getOwnerDocument();
                                > > > svgroot = svgdoc.documentElement;
                                > > > piece = svgdoc.getElementbyId("piece");
                                > > >
                                > > > }
                                > > >
                                > > > // function throwDice, it will choose a number between 1
                                > and
                                > > > 6 and set it as value "dice"
                                > > >
                                > > > function throwDice(){
                                > > >
                                > > > var randomDice=Math.round(Math.random()*5) + 1;
                                > > > dice = randomDice;
                                > > >

                                > > > }
                                > > > // function movePiece, first it will move the piece to
                                the
                                > > > left, then it
                                > > > have to check when the piece arribes to the left corner
                                > then
                                > > > it moves up and so
                                > > > on, also it will use the counter "dice" that comes from

                              • jucabapa79
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 7, 2005
                                  I repaired the board table and the pieces go straight to the left as
                                  I plan but it still don't turn and go out of the game board...

                                  I will follow searching what is wrong...

                                  Greetings.

                                  <jucabapa79@y...> wrote:
                                  > Good afternoon.
                                  >
                                  > I review the code made by Mr. Holger and this is working properly
                                  in
                                  > a 3 X 3 board, but I have troubles to make it run properly in a 6
                                  > 6 board what I mean?
                                  >
                                  > First I made that my game pieces run in the down right corner, but
                                  > when the pieces began to run using the throw button, they are
                                  > running first one space to the left and then one space down, and
                                  > they never go straight in one direction and also they go out of
                                  the
                                  > board.
                                  >
                                  > Would someone explain me what is going on? What do you suggest to
                                  > correct this bug and made it run properly?
                                  >
                                  > Greetings.
                                  >
                                  > Travsam
                                  >
                                  > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jucabapa79"
                                  > <jucabapa79@y...> wrote:
                                  > > Mr. Holger, I will check the code made by you and study all the
                                  > > properties, so I can adapt it to my game board, and also to
                                  learn
                                  > > more about scripting because for me it this the most difficult
                                  > thing
                                  > > in SVG.
                                  > >
                                  > > I will do my best.
                                  > >
                                  > > Travsam
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Holger Will <holger@t...>
                                  > > wrote:

                                  > > functions,

                                  > board
                                  > > of

                                  > gives
                                  > > an
                                  > gets
                                  > > the

                                  > > > hi
                                  > > > ive written two small examples,
                                  > > > the first is a simple game framework. showing a simple
                                  gameloop.
                                  > > > http://www.treebuilder.de/svg/monopoly01.svg
                                  > > > the second is a basic monopoly framework,
                                  > > > http://www.treebuilder.de/svg/monopoly02.svg
                                  > > > study both examples, if you have any questions concerning this
                                  > > code,
                                  > > > just ask.
                                  > > > cheers
                                  > > > Holger

                                  > is
                                  > and
                                  > and

                                  > > and

                                  > the
                                  > > then
                                  > the

                                • Holger Will
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 8, 2005
                                    jucabapa79 schrieb:

                                    > I repaired the board table and the pieces go straight to the left as
                                    > I plan but it still don't turn and go out of the game board...

                                    i can only comment on those issues , if you tell me what changes you
                                    have done to the script.

                                    > I will follow searching what is wrong...

                                    good, good ! play around with the code a bit, write smaller testcases,
                                    dont go for the whole game in one shot.
                                    let me know when you ve made some progress.

                                    cheers
                                    Holger
                                  • jucabapa79
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 21, 2005
                                      Well, I tried to do all the possible things to fix the trouble with
                                      the trayectory of the board, first I configure the code sent by Mr.
                                      Holger to use it in a 7 X 7 board, then to check the differences
                                      between the program of Mr. Holger and adecuate them to my program
                                      and check the typos if there are.

                                      Anyway the pieces are still moving in a wrong way, even that I
                                      configure the board in different ways the pieces still go straight
                                      (what I mean with configure the board?, well, it means that I first
                                      put the initial position in the down right square (the bigger X and
                                      Y position on a graphic) of the board and then I put it on the up
                                      left square (the 0 position of X and Y on the board).

                                      But the trouble stays there, it looks like these code is getting me
                                      some troubles.

                                      if(this.dx==0 && this.dy==0 && this.move!=0) {
                                      this.move-=1
                                      oldField=this.field*1
                                      newField=oldField*1+1
                                      if(newField>=24){newField=0}
                                      this.dx=gameboard[newField].cx-gameboard
                                      [oldField].cx
                                      this.dy=gameboard[newField].cy-gameboard
                                      [oldField].cy
                                      this.Field=newField
                                      }
                                      if (this.dx>0) {
                                      this.dx-=2
                                      this.currentX+=2
                                      }
                                      if(this.dy<0){
                                      this.dy+=2
                                      this.currentY-=2
                                      }
                                      if(this.dx<0){
                                      this.dx+=2
                                      this.currentX-=2
                                      }
                                      if(this.dy>0) {
                                      this.dy-=2
                                      this.currentY+=2
                                      }

                                      Well, this is the trouble.

                                      By other side I am interested to modify text data on SVG using a SQL
                                      database... is posible to do it?

                                      Greetings and sorry for the inconveniences.

                                      <jucabapa79@y...> wrote:
                                      > I repaired the board table and the pieces go straight to the left
                                      as
                                      > I plan but it still don't turn and go out of the game board...
                                      >
                                      > I will follow searching what is wrong...
                                      >
                                      > Greetings.
                                      >
                                      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jucabapa79"
                                      > <jucabapa79@y...> wrote:
                                      > > Good afternoon.
                                      > >
                                      > > I review the code made by Mr. Holger and this is working
                                      properly
                                      > in
                                      > > a 3 X 3 board, but I have troubles to make it run properly in a
                                      6
                                      > > 6 board what I mean?
                                      > >
                                      > > First I made that my game pieces run in the down right corner,
                                      but
                                      > > when the pieces began to run using the throw button, they are
                                      > > running first one space to the left and then one space down, and
                                      > > they never go straight in one direction and also they go out of
                                      > the
                                      > > board.
                                      > >
                                      > > Would someone explain me what is going on? What do you suggest
                                      > > correct this bug and made it run properly?
                                      > >
                                      > > Greetings.
                                      > >
                                      > > Travsam
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jucabapa79"
                                      > > <jucabapa79@y...> wrote:
                                      > > > Mr. Holger, I will check the code made by you and study all
                                      the
                                      > > > properties, so I can adapt it to my game board, and also to
                                      > learn
                                      > > > more about scripting because for me it this the most difficult
                                      > > thing
                                      > > > in SVG.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I will do my best.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Travsam
                                      > > >
                                      > > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Holger Will
                                      <holger@t...>

                                      > > > functions,
                                      > the

                                      > > board
                                      > > > of

                                      > > gives
                                      > > > an
                                      > loaded
                                      > > gets
                                      > > > the

                                      > gameloop.
                                      > > > code,

                                      > piece
                                      > > is
                                      > up,
                                      > > and
                                      > 1
                                      > > and

                                      > 1
                                      > > > and

                                      > > the
                                      > corner
                                      > > > then
                                      > from
                                      > > the

                                    • Holger Will
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 22, 2005
                                        Hi Travsam

                                        > Well, I tried to do all the possible things to fix the trouble with
                                        > the trayectory of the board, first I configure the code sent by Mr.
                                        > Holger to use it in a 7 X 7 board, then to check the differences
                                        > between the program of Mr. Holger and adecuate them to my program
                                        > and check the typos if there are.
                                        >
                                        > Anyway the pieces are still moving in a wrong way, even that I
                                        > configure the board in different ways the pieces still go straight
                                        > (what I mean with configure the board?, well, it means that I first
                                        > put the initial position in the down right square (the bigger X and
                                        > Y position on a graphic) of the board and then I put it on the up
                                        > left square (the 0 position of X and Y on the board).
                                        >
                                        > But the trouble stays there, it looks like these code is getting me
                                        > some troubles.
                                        >
                                        > if(this.dx==0 && this.dy==0 && this.move!=0) {
                                        > this.move-=1
                                        > oldField=this.field*1
                                        > newField=oldField*1+1
                                        > if(newField>=24){newField=0}
                                        > this.dx=gameboard[newField].cx-gameboard
                                        > [oldField].cx
                                        > this.dy=gameboard[newField].cy-gameboard
                                        > [oldField].cy
                                        > this.Field=newField
                                        > }
                                        > if (this.dx>0) {
                                        > this.dx-=2
                                        > this.currentX+=2
                                        > }
                                        > if(this.dy<0){
                                        > this.dy+=2
                                        > this.currentY-=2
                                        > }
                                        > if(this.dx<0){
                                        > this.dx+=2
                                        > this.currentX-=2
                                        > }
                                        > if(this.dy>0) {
                                        > this.dy-=2
                                        > this.currentY+=2
                                        > }
                                        >
                                        > Well, this is the trouble.

                                        the code looks correct to me, could you put your complete file online
                                        somewhere ? if not, just send the file to my email adress.
                                        i guess its got something to do with your board representation.

                                        > By other side I am interested to modify text data on SVG using a SQL
                                        > database... is posible to do it?

                                        yes you can comunicate with a DB via a server, using postURL() and
                                        getURL(). on windows using IE + ASV you could also use ActiveX to
                                        comunicate with any DB using ADO.

                                        greetings
                                        Holger