Re: [svg-developers] insert SVG transparent into (X)HTML

  • Philippe Lhoste
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      timoy1free wrote:
      > does anybody know if there is a way to set an attribute in the
      > <object> tag to include an SVG transparent into an XHTML page.
      >
      > When I use the <embed> tag I've got the possibility to set the
      > attribute "wmode" to "transparent". Then the underlying elements of
      > the xhtml page (e.g. entry fields) will shine throught the SVG. In the
      > result it looks like as if the entry fields were elements of the
      > included SVG.
      >
      > According to the xhtml specification <embed> tags shouldn't be used
      > anymore. So I tried to use the <object> tag. But this covers all other
      > elements within the area where the SVG was placed.
      >
      > Maybe somebody has experiences with combining SVG and "normal" (x)html
      > elements and could give me a hint.

      I worried too about the obsolete <embed> tag, but actually it is
      mandatory if you plan to support SVG files with scripting in ASV3 (still
      the most common viewer around). Adobe desactivated scripting support in
      SVG files included with the <object> tag in IE, for security reasons.

      --
      Philippe Lhoste
      -- (near) Paris -- France
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
        Using wmode in some work that used client-side scripting to create/move
        lots of objects and set/change their properties killed performance for me.
        Your mileage may vary - hope so.
        Larry

        >>When I use the <embed> tag I've got the possibility to set the
        >>attribute "wmode" to "transparent". Then the underlying elements of
        >>the xhtml page (e.g. entry fields) will shine throught the SVG. In the
        >>result it looks like as if the entry fields were elements of the
        >>included SVG.

      • John Dowdell
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
          timoy1free wrote:
          > does anybody know if there is a way to set an attribute in the
          > <object> tag to include an SVG transparent into an XHTML page.
          > When I use the <embed> tag I've got the possibility to set the
          > attribute "wmode" to "transparent".

          That "wmode" attribute is used to specify that plugin content be sent to
          the browser for compositing, instead of being drawn directly to screen.
          Such browser composition allows for transparent backgrounds and layering
          with HTML elements, but as Phillippe points out, there is a performance
          cost to this extra rendering step.

          For "Where does 'wmode' work?" then there are two dependencies:
          (a) whether the current browser offers this ability to plugins; and
          (b) whether that plugin offers this ability in that browser.

          For OBJECT/EMBED, EMBED was used first, then Microsoft used OBJECT, and
          a few years later the W3C declared that EMBED was improper. When you're
          researching whether a particular browser offers WMODE support, then it's
          good to doublecheck which tags they used during this testing...!

          jd

          --
          John Dowdell . Macromedia Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
          Weblog: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd