insert SVG transparent into (X)HTML

  • timoy1free
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005

      does anybody know if there is a way to set an attribute in the
      <object> tag to include an SVG transparent into an XHTML page.

      When I use the <embed> tag I've got the possibility to set the
      attribute "wmode" to "transparent". Then the underlying elements of
      the xhtml page (e.g. entry fields) will shine throught the SVG. In the
      result it looks like as if the entry fields were elements of the
      included SVG.

      According to the xhtml specification <embed> tags shouldn't be used
      anymore. So I tried to use the <object> tag. But this covers all other
      elements within the area where the SVG was placed.

      Maybe somebody has experiences with combining SVG and "normal" (x)html
      elements and could give me a hint.

      Thanks!
    • Philippe Lhoste
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
        timoy1free wrote:
        > does anybody know if there is a way to set an attribute in the
        > <object> tag to include an SVG transparent into an XHTML page.
        >
        > When I use the <embed> tag I've got the possibility to set the
        > attribute "wmode" to "transparent". Then the underlying elements of
        > the xhtml page (e.g. entry fields) will shine throught the SVG. In the
        > result it looks like as if the entry fields were elements of the
        > included SVG.
        >
        > According to the xhtml specification <embed> tags shouldn't be used
        > anymore. So I tried to use the <object> tag. But this covers all other
        > elements within the area where the SVG was placed.
        >
        > Maybe somebody has experiences with combining SVG and "normal" (x)html
        > elements and could give me a hint.

        I worried too about the obsolete <embed> tag, but actually it is
        mandatory if you plan to support SVG files with scripting in ASV3 (still
        the most common viewer around). Adobe desactivated scripting support in
        SVG files included with the <object> tag in IE, for security reasons.

        --
        Philippe Lhoste
        -- (near) Paris -- France
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
          Using wmode in some work that used client-side scripting to create/move
          lots of objects and set/change their properties killed performance for me.
          Your mileage may vary - hope so.
          Larry

          >>When I use the <embed> tag I've got the possibility to set the
          >>attribute "wmode" to "transparent". Then the underlying elements of
          >>the xhtml page (e.g. entry fields) will shine throught the SVG. In the
          >>result it looks like as if the entry fields were elements of the
          >>included SVG.

        • John Dowdell
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
            timoy1free wrote:
            > does anybody know if there is a way to set an attribute in the
            > <object> tag to include an SVG transparent into an XHTML page.
            > When I use the <embed> tag I've got the possibility to set the
            > attribute "wmode" to "transparent".

            That "wmode" attribute is used to specify that plugin content be sent to
            the browser for compositing, instead of being drawn directly to screen.
            Such browser composition allows for transparent backgrounds and layering
            with HTML elements, but as Phillippe points out, there is a performance
            cost to this extra rendering step.

            For "Where does 'wmode' work?" then there are two dependencies:
            (a) whether the current browser offers this ability to plugins; and
            (b) whether that plugin offers this ability in that browser.

            For OBJECT/EMBED, EMBED was used first, then Microsoft used OBJECT, and
            a few years later the W3C declared that EMBED was improper. When you're
            researching whether a particular browser offers WMODE support, then it's
            good to doublecheck which tags they used during this testing...!

            jd

            --
            John Dowdell . Macromedia Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
            Weblog: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd