Can this be done?

  • tbone58x
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
      I have posted this type of question several times and never got a
      response but will try again.

      I am very interested in converting some of the free government map
      data into SVG. I'd like just some simple guidance on how this can be
      done. There is not much info on how to go about this. I went down
      one path of getting free Census data from ESRI but in the end I
      apparently need ARC View to convert the files. I have no clue how
      much ARC View is as every site wants you to email them for the info.
      I sent off to one and will wait and see.

      If there are other free sites available to show all 48 contigious
      states in SVG I am all ears. I suspect that some conversion will need
      to be applied on say a TIGER/line file and I just want to know how to
      go about doing this.

      Any info at all to get me started on this will be greatly appreciated.
      This is one area that I think some killer SVG apps can be created but
      I just can't seem to get started as there is very limited info - at
      least what I have uncovered....
    • Marjorie Roswell
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
        - SVGMapMaker requires MapInfo
        - SVGMapper Released for ArcView GIS
        - MI2SVG (at http://www.gisnet.com/notebook/SVG_mapping.htm) requires MapInfo.
        - InstantAtlas.com uses shape or MIF/MID files, but I think you need
        to pay $1000 for it...

        - Hmmm...now this one looks promising, but you need perl
        http://aaronland.info/perl/xml/generator/svg/shapefile/docs.html
        http://www.webmapper.net/svg/create/

        - SVGBuilder is in French, (which I don't read) so I'm not quite sure
        what it is about...http://www.svg-builder.com/specifications.html

        - Ooh, this one looks promising, too:
        http://www.mycgiserver.com/~amri/converter.cocoon.xml

        - And here's another tool:
        http://www.safe.com/news/2002/32/

        Who else has GIS to SVG conversion tools?

        Is there a good library out there of GIS SVG data? I'd be happy to
        start one, if there isn't one already.

        Margie
        http://SVGMapper.blogspot.com (really brand new at this, too.)
        (Actually, nobody answered two of my questions also, how to include
        SVG in a blog, and is there a thumbnail viewer for SVG files in
        windows directories.)

        On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:37:55 -0000, tbone58x <tbellmer@...> wrote:

        > I have posted this type of question several times and never got a
        > response but will try again.
        >
        > I am very interested in converting some of the free government map
        > data into SVG. I'd like just some simple guidance on how this can be
        > done. There is not much info on how to go about this. I went down
        > one path of getting free Census data from ESRI but in the end I
        > apparently need ARC View to convert the files. I have no clue how
        > much ARC View is as every site wants you to email them for the info.
        > I sent off to one and will wait and see.
        >
        > If there are other free sites available to show all 48 contigious
        > states in SVG I am all ears. I suspect that some conversion will need
        > to be applied on say a TIGER/line file and I just want to know how to
        > go about doing this.
        >
        > Any info at all to get me started on this will be greatly appreciated.
        > This is one area that I think some killer SVG apps can be created but
        > I just can't seem to get started as there is very limited info - at
        > least what I have uncovered....

        > membership"
        > ----
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Marjorie Roswell
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
          I missed this one, but it also seems to require ArcView
          http://www.uismedia.de/mapview/eng/index.html

          Likewise this:
          http://www.carto.net/projects/shp2svg/
          requires arcview.

          Here's another resource that might help:
          http://wiki.svg.org/index.php/OtherImplementations#GIS_translators

        • Jérôme Tricand de la Goutte
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
            Hi Marjorie

            I can read French, so Ic an explain toyou what us SVGBuilder. It is a
            tool that convert MapInfo file to SVG, including tooltips, gradient and
            thematic analysis.

            On the oter hand, to convert some data toSVG, you can use postgresSQL.
            It is a database manager which can be upgraded with a geographical
            module. And , as a "bonus", it have asSVG() function which convert the
            response of a geographical request in SVG.
            To put ESRI format datas in postgreSQL, use OGR2OGR which is a free and
            used to convert many types of geographical data to others.

            But, (yes there is a but) using this combination of tools, you will have
            a very simple conversion. You wil have to add styles, scripts and
            others. But it works.

            Hope it helps

          • Barend Köbben
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
              Hi,

              some remarks about going GIS > SVG: in general you could do that using one-off converters to build up a "library" of SVG maps. There are many tools for that, but for most indeed you'll need the original GIS software. Not all though:

              http://www.carto.net/projects/shp2svg/
              does not need ArcView or ArcGIS.
              and http://www.safe.com/news/2002/32/ is FME, a stand-alone convertor from almost anything to almost anything else (but expensive)

              However, if you want to use this as a starting point for delivering SVG-based information on the Web, a much more versatile and generic approach is to have the geometric data (the map lines, points and areas in their geographic or projected coordinates) + their attributes (what these lines etc depict, how many people live in the cities, what the roadtypes are, etc) stored in databases and have applications retrieving whatever you need of this data and depict it as SVG graphics.

              The format for storing in the database should in these times no longer be proprietary GIS vendor formats, because we have open standards, widely accepted, for that from OGC, the Open Geospatial Consortium. (http://www.opengeospatial.org). They also have webservice standards, that implement interfaces to servcies that deliver eg. raw data or ready-made maps. National Mapping Organisations (like the US GS and Census bureau, but much more actively the european ones, gathered in EuoGeographics) are using these techniques already (most notabley the British Ordnance Survey and the Swedish Lanmateriet). The EU-ones also started working together for a EU-wide Spatial data Infrastructure under the INSPIRE programme of the EU.

              There are also several ways to do this "small-time" using only simple Oenpsource and free software (eg. our RIMapper, http://kartoweb.itc.nl/RIMapper explains a bity about that, although just a research pilot).

              yours,

              ____________________________
              Barend Köbben
              International Institute for Geo-information Sciences and Earth Observation (ITC)
              PO Box 6, 7500AA Enschede (The Netherlands)
              ph: +31 (0)53 4874253; fax: +31 (0)53 4874335

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
                Excellent! Thanks so much for your reply, you gave me quite a bit to
                go on...

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Marjorie Roswell

              • tbone58x
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Thanks for the reply - looks very interesting...