Re: to start animation conditionally

  • pilatfr
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Xiaoping Gao <xpgao1@y...>
      wrote:

      You can use onend event on A to call test for indicator

      Michel

      > I have a case like the following:
      > animation element B will only start after animation
      > element A end when a indicator is 0.
      >
      > I was testing a simple script like the one below:
      >
      > function hiliteWord(elId, timeStr){
      >
      > obj = svgDocument.getElementById(elId);
      > if(hiliteInd==0)
      > obj.beginElementAt(timeStr);
      > }
      >
      > I tried to pass something like
      > <set id="b" attributeName="font-style"
      > attributeType="CSS" to="italic" begin="hiliteWord('b',
      > 'a.end');" dur="100ms" fill="freeze"/>
      >
      > It didn't work.
      >
      > I checked and found that beginElementAt(..) will not
      > take a string as parameter.
      >
      > Does somebody have some idea on how to do it?
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Xiaoping

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Richard Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
        It would be best to make your server application a HTTP server, preferably on port 80, if you want your app to be usable anywhere as that way it will go through proxies, firewalls etc. I think it is much easier in SVG to communicate via HTTP anyway, and a simple HTTP server is very easy to write.
      • Jan
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
          This may be a stupid question as I am not that familiar with HTTP
          servers, but how do I do this? I was planning on writing a C#
          application which connects to another already-written C# application
          which houses a databus and connects to a database. There are
          specific methods to connect to this C# databus app and specific calls
          you have to make to retrieve data. Will I still write a C# app and
          somehow put that within the HTTP server or would I do something
          different in a different language or tool?

          Sounds like the getURL/postURL method only works with HTTP servers,
          correct?

          Thanks for your help.

          Jan

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Richard Smith <rcs36@c...>
          wrote:
          > It would be best to make your server application a HTTP server,
          preferably on port 80, if you want your app to be usable anywhere as
          that way it will go through proxies, firewalls etc. I think it is
          much easier in SVG to communicate via HTTP anyway, and a simple HTTP
          server is very easy to write.
        • Rick Bullotta
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
            You'll want to write an ASP.NET class that implements IHttpHandler. This is
            essentially the .NET equivalent of a servlet.

            Rick Bullotta
            Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)

            wrote:
            > It would be best to make your server application a HTTP server,
            preferably on port 80, if you want your app to be usable anywhere as
            that way it will go through proxies, firewalls etc. I think it is
            much easier in SVG to communicate via HTTP anyway, and a simple HTTP
            server is very easy to write.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Jan
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
              More basic questions. I am a Java/C# developer with not much web
              experience. I don't know anything about ASP or JSP.

              1) I'm assuming that ASP.NET use C# (similar to JSP using Java)?
              2) I am using IIS web server and the client's requirement is to stick
              with this. Do I need an app server to go along with this (such as
              JBoss) or extension or something in order for servlets to run? Or
              will my asp just run within IIS alone?
              3) Would I then use getURL/postURL from my svg/Javascript to execute
              the asp class to retrieve my data?

              Thanks a ton!! I'm a newbie to web development.

              Jan

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Bullotta"

            • Jan
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                One more question:

                I'm developing a map application that will contain icons displayed on
                the map. The icons will change based on data changes in the
                databus/database. What's the best way to retrieve these changes: 1)
                have the web client app periodically (every few seconds) hit the
                server to retrieve updates or 2) somehow have the server send updates
                immediately to each client when they happen (don't know if this is
                possible). If 2) is possible, how do you do it?

                Jan

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                  1) Yes, but you would more likely be building a C# class than an ASP page

                  2) Not unless you wanted to write in Java. If you use C#, ASP.NET includes
                  everything you need.

                  3) Yes.

                  I would visit the Microsoft MSDN site to learn how to write IHttpHandlers.

                  <Rick.Bullotta@l...> wrote:
                  > You'll want to write an ASP.NET class that implements
                  IHttpHandler. This is
                  > essentially the .NET equivalent of a servlet.
                  >
                  > Rick Bullotta
                  > Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Jan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                    Thanks for the info. My understanding is that I will write a C#
                    class that implements IHttpHandler and accesses my data store. This
                    will somehow be registered within ASP.NET and my IIS web server.
                    Then, I will use getURL/postURL from my svg/Javascript client to
                    execute the "servlet" and retrieve data updates.

                    Someone that I work with suggested that instead of using ASP.NET, it
                    would probably be easier to use COM+. The C# dll would be registered
                    with COM+. Then, I would just have to figure out how to execute
                    the "servlet" from my svg/Javascript client. Is anyone doing it this
                    way? If so, can you also use getURL/postURL? Does anyone have any
                    opinions as to which method is preferable/easier? I don't know
                    anything about ASP.NET or COM+ at this point.

                  • sholla@alpine-la.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                      I'd posted some information on this a while back.

                      What I'm doing is this:

                      Write COM component which you can embed in a parent HTML doc. Embed the SVG
                      doc. in this HTML doc. In you event handler you can refer to the COM
                      component interface methods as: parent.COMCompID.SendEvent(evt)
                      where COMCompID is the id of the embedded COM object;SendEvent(evt) is the
                      COM interface method

                      You can embed a C# component too - I believe IE supports that. But, I found
                      it easier to use a COM component and then use a C# app. to process the
                      SVGDocument directly to do whatever you need to do - you can get you data
                      updates into your C# app. and process the data and accordingly update the
                      SVG document with C# routines i.e. on the SVG DOM - based on the previously
                      received SVGDocument object.

                      Shreesh

                      "Jan"
                      <janlmiller@comca To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
                      st.net> cc:
                      03/02/2005 10:40
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      svg-developers

                      <Rick.Bullotta@l...> wrote:
                      > 1) Yes, but you would more likely be building a C# class than an
                      ASP page

                      > 2) Not unless you wanted to write in Java. If you use C#, ASP.NET
                      includes
                      > everything you need.
                      >
                      > 3) Yes.
                      >
                      > I would visit the Microsoft MSDN site to learn how to write
                      IHttpHandlers.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                      To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    • Jan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                        From what I am reading, it looks like getURL is used mainly to load
                        svg or xml data into your svg doc. Do I really use getURL to execute
                        a servlet? What if I want to pass a parameter? I don't see any way
                        of doing that.

                        What I want to do is poll the server on a regular basis (every 15
                        seconds or so) to retrieve data updates. I want to pass a timestamp
                        parameter to the method that is executed on the server. If I write a
                        C# class, compile it, and register it with ASP.NET or COM+, how do I
                        call it from my svg/Javascript client? Do I use getURL?

                      • sholla@alpine-la.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                          "Jan"
                          <janlmiller@comca To: sholla@...
                          st.net> cc:
                          Subject: Re: Executing Java/C# server method from svg
                          03/02/2005 12:54
                          PM

                          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, sholla@a... wrote:

                          > I'd posted some information on this a while back.
                          >
                          > What I'm doing is this:
                          >
                          > Write COM component which you can embed in a parent HTML doc.

                          I think in my case, the COM component would be a C# compiled class
                          that has methods to retrieve data updates from the data source. What
                          do I need to put in my html doc? By the way, I have no COM
                          experience AT ALL. If you have an example you could send me, that
                          would be great.

                          ---I tried this through the Interop samples - but the approach is not good
                          for me - since IE expects the # Dll on the web server and all that. I'll
                          see what I can send to you. But, basically this is the same as any Interop
                          samples that you have.

                          >Embed the SVG
                          > doc. in this HTML doc.

                          I am already doing this.

                          >In you event handler you can refer to the COM
                          > component interface methods as: parent.COMCompID.SendEvent(evt)
                          > where COMCompID is the id of the embedded COM object;SendEvent(evt)
                          is the
                          > COM interface method

                          Would SendEvent be the name of the method in my C# class? What about
                          parameters?

                          Yes - but again - this is Interop - so same rules apply i.e. IE can access
                          the methods off a C# interface only.

                          > You can embed a C# component too - I believe IE supports that. But,
                          I found
                          > it easier to use a COM component and then use a C# app. to process
                          the
                          > SVGDocument directly to do whatever you need to do - you can get
                          you data
                          > updates into your C# app. and process the data and accordingly
                          update the
                          > SVG document with C# routines i.e. on the SVG DOM - based on the
                          previously
                          > received SVGDocument object.

                          I may be missing something here, but I thought that the COM component
                          would reside on the web server and then would be called by the web
                          client via Javascript code. I definitely don't want or need to embed
                          a C# component into my client app. I will be processing the svg doc
                          by using Javascript.

                          Also, I only want to do this if it will be supported by most browsers
                          and not just IE. Do you know if this is the case? If the component
                          is on the server, I didn't that that would matter.

                          ---
                          If you need to do all you processing on the client - then it sounds like
                          you just need to parse some data updates through JS and update your SVG
                          document with that. So, in that case you just need a normal C# or other web
                          application that pulls in the required data. Your HTML based JS can process
                          this data and pass it in to SVG for update or further SVG JS processing I
                          guess. There are many examples of this around.

                          What I mentioned above is for a situation where all processing happens on
                          the server and no significant JS is used at all. The C# component support i
                          know exists for IE. You wuld have to see what Firefox and all support. I
                          think they'll all support ActiveX/COM components since I believe that is
                          part of the JS spec.

                          Service.

                        • Rick Bullotta
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                            Use getURL. Your HttpHandler will to map to a URL something like:

                            http://yourserver/YourHandler?timestamp=2005-02-01T12:15:00&dataset=XXX

                            ASP.Net runs under IIS and exposes your handlers this way.

                            You can return data as text, XML, whatever.

                            I would suggest moving the discussion to the Microsoft ASP.NET newsgroups,
                            where you'll be able to get more guidance on building your handler.

                            Good luck!