to start animation conditionally

  • Xiaoping Gao
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
      I have a case like the following:
      animation element B will only start after animation
      element A end when a indicator is 0.

      I was testing a simple script like the one below:

      function hiliteWord(elId, timeStr){

      obj = svgDocument.getElementById(elId);
      if(hiliteInd==0)
      obj.beginElementAt(timeStr);
      }

      I tried to pass something like
      <set id="b" attributeName="font-style"
      attributeType="CSS" to="italic" begin="hiliteWord('b',
      'a.end');" dur="100ms" fill="freeze"/>

      It didn't work.

      I checked and found that beginElementAt(..) will not
      take a string as parameter.

      Does somebody have some idea on how to do it?

      Thanks in advance.

      Xiaoping

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • pilatfr
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Xiaoping Gao <xpgao1@y...>
        wrote:

        You can use onend event on A to call test for indicator

        Michel

        > I have a case like the following:
        > animation element B will only start after animation
        > element A end when a indicator is 0.
        >
        > I was testing a simple script like the one below:
        >
        > function hiliteWord(elId, timeStr){
        >
        > obj = svgDocument.getElementById(elId);
        > if(hiliteInd==0)
        > obj.beginElementAt(timeStr);
        > }
        >
        > I tried to pass something like
        > <set id="b" attributeName="font-style"
        > attributeType="CSS" to="italic" begin="hiliteWord('b',
        > 'a.end');" dur="100ms" fill="freeze"/>
        >
        > It didn't work.
        >
        > I checked and found that beginElementAt(..) will not
        > take a string as parameter.
        >
        > Does somebody have some idea on how to do it?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Xiaoping

        > http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Richard Smith
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
          It would be best to make your server application a HTTP server, preferably on port 80, if you want your app to be usable anywhere as that way it will go through proxies, firewalls etc. I think it is much easier in SVG to communicate via HTTP anyway, and a simple HTTP server is very easy to write.
        • Jan
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
            This may be a stupid question as I am not that familiar with HTTP
            servers, but how do I do this? I was planning on writing a C#
            application which connects to another already-written C# application
            which houses a databus and connects to a database. There are
            specific methods to connect to this C# databus app and specific calls
            you have to make to retrieve data. Will I still write a C# app and
            somehow put that within the HTTP server or would I do something
            different in a different language or tool?

            Sounds like the getURL/postURL method only works with HTTP servers,
            correct?

            Thanks for your help.

            Jan

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Richard Smith <rcs36@c...>
            wrote:
            > It would be best to make your server application a HTTP server,
            preferably on port 80, if you want your app to be usable anywhere as
            that way it will go through proxies, firewalls etc. I think it is
            much easier in SVG to communicate via HTTP anyway, and a simple HTTP
            server is very easy to write.
          • Rick Bullotta
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
              You'll want to write an ASP.NET class that implements IHttpHandler. This is
              essentially the .NET equivalent of a servlet.

              Rick Bullotta
              Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)

              wrote:
              > It would be best to make your server application a HTTP server,
              preferably on port 80, if you want your app to be usable anywhere as
              that way it will go through proxies, firewalls etc. I think it is
              much easier in SVG to communicate via HTTP anyway, and a simple HTTP
              server is very easy to write.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Jan
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                More basic questions. I am a Java/C# developer with not much web
                experience. I don't know anything about ASP or JSP.

                1) I'm assuming that ASP.NET use C# (similar to JSP using Java)?
                2) I am using IIS web server and the client's requirement is to stick
                with this. Do I need an app server to go along with this (such as
                JBoss) or extension or something in order for servlets to run? Or
                will my asp just run within IIS alone?
                3) Would I then use getURL/postURL from my svg/Javascript to execute
                the asp class to retrieve my data?

                Thanks a ton!! I'm a newbie to web development.

                Jan

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Bullotta"

              • Jan
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                  One more question:

                  I'm developing a map application that will contain icons displayed on
                  the map. The icons will change based on data changes in the
                  databus/database. What's the best way to retrieve these changes: 1)
                  have the web client app periodically (every few seconds) hit the
                  server to retrieve updates or 2) somehow have the server send updates
                  immediately to each client when they happen (don't know if this is
                  possible). If 2) is possible, how do you do it?

                  Jan

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                    1) Yes, but you would more likely be building a C# class than an ASP page

                    2) Not unless you wanted to write in Java. If you use C#, ASP.NET includes
                    everything you need.

                    3) Yes.

                    I would visit the Microsoft MSDN site to learn how to write IHttpHandlers.

                    <Rick.Bullotta@l...> wrote:
                    > You'll want to write an ASP.NET class that implements
                    IHttpHandler. This is
                    > essentially the .NET equivalent of a servlet.
                    >
                    > Rick Bullotta
                    > Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Jan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                      Thanks for the info. My understanding is that I will write a C#
                      class that implements IHttpHandler and accesses my data store. This
                      will somehow be registered within ASP.NET and my IIS web server.
                      Then, I will use getURL/postURL from my svg/Javascript client to
                      execute the "servlet" and retrieve data updates.

                      Someone that I work with suggested that instead of using ASP.NET, it
                      would probably be easier to use COM+. The C# dll would be registered
                      with COM+. Then, I would just have to figure out how to execute
                      the "servlet" from my svg/Javascript client. Is anyone doing it this
                      way? If so, can you also use getURL/postURL? Does anyone have any
                      opinions as to which method is preferable/easier? I don't know
                      anything about ASP.NET or COM+ at this point.

                    • sholla@alpine-la.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                        I'd posted some information on this a while back.

                        What I'm doing is this:

                        Write COM component which you can embed in a parent HTML doc. Embed the SVG
                        doc. in this HTML doc. In you event handler you can refer to the COM
                        component interface methods as: parent.COMCompID.SendEvent(evt)
                        where COMCompID is the id of the embedded COM object;SendEvent(evt) is the
                        COM interface method

                        You can embed a C# component too - I believe IE supports that. But, I found
                        it easier to use a COM component and then use a C# app. to process the
                        SVGDocument directly to do whatever you need to do - you can get you data
                        updates into your C# app. and process the data and accordingly update the
                        SVG document with C# routines i.e. on the SVG DOM - based on the previously
                        received SVGDocument object.

                        Shreesh

                        "Jan"
                        <janlmiller@comca To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
                        st.net> cc:
                        03/02/2005 10:40
                        AM
                        Please respond to
                        svg-developers

                        <Rick.Bullotta@l...> wrote:
                        > 1) Yes, but you would more likely be building a C# class than an
                        ASP page

                        > 2) Not unless you wanted to write in Java. If you use C#, ASP.NET
                        includes
                        > everything you need.
                        >
                        > 3) Yes.
                        >
                        > I would visit the Microsoft MSDN site to learn how to write
                        IHttpHandlers.

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                        To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      • Jan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                          From what I am reading, it looks like getURL is used mainly to load
                          svg or xml data into your svg doc. Do I really use getURL to execute
                          a servlet? What if I want to pass a parameter? I don't see any way
                          of doing that.

                          What I want to do is poll the server on a regular basis (every 15
                          seconds or so) to retrieve data updates. I want to pass a timestamp
                          parameter to the method that is executed on the server. If I write a
                          C# class, compile it, and register it with ASP.NET or COM+, how do I
                          call it from my svg/Javascript client? Do I use getURL?

                        • sholla@alpine-la.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                            "Jan"
                            <janlmiller@comca To: sholla@...
                            st.net> cc:
                            Subject: Re: Executing Java/C# server method from svg
                            03/02/2005 12:54
                            PM

                            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, sholla@a... wrote:

                            > I'd posted some information on this a while back.
                            >
                            > What I'm doing is this:
                            >
                            > Write COM component which you can embed in a parent HTML doc.

                            I think in my case, the COM component would be a C# compiled class
                            that has methods to retrieve data updates from the data source. What
                            do I need to put in my html doc? By the way, I have no COM
                            experience AT ALL. If you have an example you could send me, that
                            would be great.

                            ---I tried this through the Interop samples - but the approach is not good
                            for me - since IE expects the # Dll on the web server and all that. I'll
                            see what I can send to you. But, basically this is the same as any Interop
                            samples that you have.

                            >Embed the SVG
                            > doc. in this HTML doc.

                            I am already doing this.

                            >In you event handler you can refer to the COM
                            > component interface methods as: parent.COMCompID.SendEvent(evt)
                            > where COMCompID is the id of the embedded COM object;SendEvent(evt)
                            is the
                            > COM interface method

                            Would SendEvent be the name of the method in my C# class? What about
                            parameters?

                            Yes - but again - this is Interop - so same rules apply i.e. IE can access
                            the methods off a C# interface only.

                            > You can embed a C# component too - I believe IE supports that. But,
                            I found
                            > it easier to use a COM component and then use a C# app. to process
                            the
                            > SVGDocument directly to do whatever you need to do - you can get
                            you data
                            > updates into your C# app. and process the data and accordingly
                            update the
                            > SVG document with C# routines i.e. on the SVG DOM - based on the
                            previously
                            > received SVGDocument object.

                            I may be missing something here, but I thought that the COM component
                            would reside on the web server and then would be called by the web
                            client via Javascript code. I definitely don't want or need to embed
                            a C# component into my client app. I will be processing the svg doc
                            by using Javascript.

                            Also, I only want to do this if it will be supported by most browsers
                            and not just IE. Do you know if this is the case? If the component
                            is on the server, I didn't that that would matter.

                            ---
                            If you need to do all you processing on the client - then it sounds like
                            you just need to parse some data updates through JS and update your SVG
                            document with that. So, in that case you just need a normal C# or other web
                            application that pulls in the required data. Your HTML based JS can process
                            this data and pass it in to SVG for update or further SVG JS processing I
                            guess. There are many examples of this around.

                            What I mentioned above is for a situation where all processing happens on
                            the server and no significant JS is used at all. The C# component support i
                            know exists for IE. You wuld have to see what Firefox and all support. I
                            think they'll all support ActiveX/COM components since I believe that is
                            part of the JS spec.

                            Service.

                          • Rick Bullotta
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                              Use getURL. Your HttpHandler will to map to a URL something like:

                              http://yourserver/YourHandler?timestamp=2005-02-01T12:15:00&dataset=XXX

                              ASP.Net runs under IIS and exposes your handlers this way.

                              You can return data as text, XML, whatever.

                              I would suggest moving the discussion to the Microsoft ASP.NET newsgroups,
                              where you'll be able to get more guidance on building your handler.

                              Good luck!