Executing Java/C# server method from svg

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
      I think this is a basic question, but I'm new to web development. My
      application is an svg traffic map application. I'm using Win2000/XP,
      html, php, and Javascript. My svg is embedded within my html.

      I need to update my map periodically with current traffic data that
      will be retrieved from the server. There will be a C# or Java app
      running on the server that connects to a database and maintains a
      cache of up-to-date data. I would like my svg web app to connect to
      the C# app, execute the appropriate method to retrieve data from its'
      cache, and update the map dynamically. Can anyone suggest how to do
      this? Can I do this using getURL/postURL or should I be using
      something different or some other method of doing this entirely?

      Thanks for your help.

      Jan
    • Jan-Klaas Kollhof
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
        You will need to use getURL/postURL to make requests to the server.
        The server(a cgi script/jsp/asp/??? run by the server) will have to
        then querry the database, package up the results and return it as a
        result of the request. The returned data will have to be interpreted
        by script in your SVG file and can then be used to update the map.

        To ease development there are some ready to use protocols and impl.
        for dong things like RPC. you can also create your own format for
        exchanging data between the cleint and the server.

        here a paper on client-server communication in SVG:
        http://jan.kollhof.net/publications/svgclientserver.html

        or take a look at some examples:
        http://jsolait.net/examples/index.xhtml

        Jan
      • Jan
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
          Sounds like it would be nice to use getURL and postURL in my
          ECMAScript. It says that these will allow you to retrieve data from a
          server using a simple HTTP GET or post data to the server using an
          HTTP POST. But how do I use these to communicate with a C#/Java app
          (that accesses the database) that is running separately on the web
          server machine? Or can I?

          I'm a little confused as to how to do this and I couldn't really find
          any simple examples from the links below. I'm thinking that there
          will be a method call in the C#/Java app that will return the
          results. Does anyone have a simple example or step-by-step
          instructions on how to do this in plain English?

          Or, do I need to use sockets?

          Are either of these methods restrictive to certain browsers?

          Thanks for your help. I am new to alot of this.

          Jan

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Klaas Kollhof"
          <keyjaque@y...> wrote:

          > You will need to use getURL/postURL to make requests to the server.
          > The server(a cgi script/jsp/asp/??? run by the server) will have to
          > then querry the database, package up the results and return it as a
          > result of the request. The returned data will have to be interpreted
          > by script in your SVG file and can then be used to update the map.
          >
          > To ease development there are some ready to use protocols and impl.
          > for dong things like RPC. you can also create your own format for
          > exchanging data between the cleint and the server.
          >
          > here a paper on client-server communication in SVG:
          > http://jan.kollhof.net/publications/svgclientserver.html
          >
          > or take a look at some examples:
          > http://jsolait.net/examples/index.xhtml
          >

          > Jan
        • Xiaoping Gao
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
            I have a case like the following:
            animation element B will only start after animation
            element A end when a indicator is 0.

            I was testing a simple script like the one below:

            function hiliteWord(elId, timeStr){

            obj = svgDocument.getElementById(elId);
            if(hiliteInd==0)
            obj.beginElementAt(timeStr);
            }

            I tried to pass something like
            <set id="b" attributeName="font-style"
            attributeType="CSS" to="italic" begin="hiliteWord('b',
            'a.end');" dur="100ms" fill="freeze"/>

            It didn't work.

            I checked and found that beginElementAt(..) will not
            take a string as parameter.

            Does somebody have some idea on how to do it?

            Thanks in advance.

            Xiaoping

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • pilatfr
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Xiaoping Gao <xpgao1@y...>
              wrote:

              You can use onend event on A to call test for indicator

              Michel

              > I have a case like the following:
              > animation element B will only start after animation
              > element A end when a indicator is 0.
              >
              > I was testing a simple script like the one below:
              >
              > function hiliteWord(elId, timeStr){
              >
              > obj = svgDocument.getElementById(elId);
              > if(hiliteInd==0)
              > obj.beginElementAt(timeStr);
              > }
              >
              > I tried to pass something like
              > <set id="b" attributeName="font-style"
              > attributeType="CSS" to="italic" begin="hiliteWord('b',
              > 'a.end');" dur="100ms" fill="freeze"/>
              >
              > It didn't work.
              >
              > I checked and found that beginElementAt(..) will not
              > take a string as parameter.
              >
              > Does somebody have some idea on how to do it?
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Xiaoping

              > http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Richard Smith
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                It would be best to make your server application a HTTP server, preferably on port 80, if you want your app to be usable anywhere as that way it will go through proxies, firewalls etc. I think it is much easier in SVG to communicate via HTTP anyway, and a simple HTTP server is very easy to write.
              • Jan
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                  This may be a stupid question as I am not that familiar with HTTP
                  servers, but how do I do this? I was planning on writing a C#
                  application which connects to another already-written C# application
                  which houses a databus and connects to a database. There are
                  specific methods to connect to this C# databus app and specific calls
                  you have to make to retrieve data. Will I still write a C# app and
                  somehow put that within the HTTP server or would I do something
                  different in a different language or tool?

                  Sounds like the getURL/postURL method only works with HTTP servers,
                  correct?

                  Thanks for your help.

                  Jan

                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Richard Smith <rcs36@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > It would be best to make your server application a HTTP server,
                  preferably on port 80, if you want your app to be usable anywhere as
                  that way it will go through proxies, firewalls etc. I think it is
                  much easier in SVG to communicate via HTTP anyway, and a simple HTTP
                  server is very easy to write.
                • Rick Bullotta
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                    You'll want to write an ASP.NET class that implements IHttpHandler. This is
                    essentially the .NET equivalent of a servlet.

                    Rick Bullotta
                    Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)

                    wrote:
                    > It would be best to make your server application a HTTP server,
                    preferably on port 80, if you want your app to be usable anywhere as
                    that way it will go through proxies, firewalls etc. I think it is
                    much easier in SVG to communicate via HTTP anyway, and a simple HTTP
                    server is very easy to write.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Jan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                      More basic questions. I am a Java/C# developer with not much web
                      experience. I don't know anything about ASP or JSP.

                      1) I'm assuming that ASP.NET use C# (similar to JSP using Java)?
                      2) I am using IIS web server and the client's requirement is to stick
                      with this. Do I need an app server to go along with this (such as
                      JBoss) or extension or something in order for servlets to run? Or
                      will my asp just run within IIS alone?
                      3) Would I then use getURL/postURL from my svg/Javascript to execute
                      the asp class to retrieve my data?

                      Thanks a ton!! I'm a newbie to web development.

                      Jan

                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Bullotta"

                    • Jan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                        One more question:

                        I'm developing a map application that will contain icons displayed on
                        the map. The icons will change based on data changes in the
                        databus/database. What's the best way to retrieve these changes: 1)
                        have the web client app periodically (every few seconds) hit the
                        server to retrieve updates or 2) somehow have the server send updates
                        immediately to each client when they happen (don't know if this is
                        possible). If 2) is possible, how do you do it?

                        Jan

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                          1) Yes, but you would more likely be building a C# class than an ASP page

                          2) Not unless you wanted to write in Java. If you use C#, ASP.NET includes
                          everything you need.

                          3) Yes.

                          I would visit the Microsoft MSDN site to learn how to write IHttpHandlers.

                          <Rick.Bullotta@l...> wrote:
                          > You'll want to write an ASP.NET class that implements
                          IHttpHandler. This is
                          > essentially the .NET equivalent of a servlet.
                          >
                          > Rick Bullotta
                          > Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Jan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                            Thanks for the info. My understanding is that I will write a C#
                            class that implements IHttpHandler and accesses my data store. This
                            will somehow be registered within ASP.NET and my IIS web server.
                            Then, I will use getURL/postURL from my svg/Javascript client to
                            execute the "servlet" and retrieve data updates.

                            Someone that I work with suggested that instead of using ASP.NET, it
                            would probably be easier to use COM+. The C# dll would be registered
                            with COM+. Then, I would just have to figure out how to execute
                            the "servlet" from my svg/Javascript client. Is anyone doing it this
                            way? If so, can you also use getURL/postURL? Does anyone have any
                            opinions as to which method is preferable/easier? I don't know
                            anything about ASP.NET or COM+ at this point.

                          • sholla@alpine-la.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                              I'd posted some information on this a while back.

                              What I'm doing is this:

                              Write COM component which you can embed in a parent HTML doc. Embed the SVG
                              doc. in this HTML doc. In you event handler you can refer to the COM
                              component interface methods as: parent.COMCompID.SendEvent(evt)
                              where COMCompID is the id of the embedded COM object;SendEvent(evt) is the
                              COM interface method

                              You can embed a C# component too - I believe IE supports that. But, I found
                              it easier to use a COM component and then use a C# app. to process the
                              SVGDocument directly to do whatever you need to do - you can get you data
                              updates into your C# app. and process the data and accordingly update the
                              SVG document with C# routines i.e. on the SVG DOM - based on the previously
                              received SVGDocument object.

                              Shreesh

                              "Jan"
                              <janlmiller@comca To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
                              st.net> cc:
                              03/02/2005 10:40
                              AM
                              Please respond to
                              svg-developers

                              <Rick.Bullotta@l...> wrote:
                              > 1) Yes, but you would more likely be building a C# class than an
                              ASP page

                              > 2) Not unless you wanted to write in Java. If you use C#, ASP.NET
                              includes
                              > everything you need.
                              >
                              > 3) Yes.
                              >
                              > I would visit the Microsoft MSDN site to learn how to write
                              IHttpHandlers.

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                              To visit your group on the web, go to:

                            • Jan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                                From what I am reading, it looks like getURL is used mainly to load
                                svg or xml data into your svg doc. Do I really use getURL to execute
                                a servlet? What if I want to pass a parameter? I don't see any way
                                of doing that.

                                What I want to do is poll the server on a regular basis (every 15
                                seconds or so) to retrieve data updates. I want to pass a timestamp
                                parameter to the method that is executed on the server. If I write a
                                C# class, compile it, and register it with ASP.NET or COM+, how do I
                                call it from my svg/Javascript client? Do I use getURL?

                              • sholla@alpine-la.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                                  "Jan"
                                  <janlmiller@comca To: sholla@...
                                  st.net> cc:
                                  Subject: Re: Executing Java/C# server method from svg
                                  03/02/2005 12:54
                                  PM

                                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, sholla@a... wrote:

                                  > I'd posted some information on this a while back.
                                  >
                                  > What I'm doing is this:
                                  >
                                  > Write COM component which you can embed in a parent HTML doc.

                                  I think in my case, the COM component would be a C# compiled class
                                  that has methods to retrieve data updates from the data source. What
                                  do I need to put in my html doc? By the way, I have no COM
                                  experience AT ALL. If you have an example you could send me, that
                                  would be great.

                                  ---I tried this through the Interop samples - but the approach is not good
                                  for me - since IE expects the # Dll on the web server and all that. I'll
                                  see what I can send to you. But, basically this is the same as any Interop
                                  samples that you have.

                                  >Embed the SVG
                                  > doc. in this HTML doc.

                                  I am already doing this.

                                  >In you event handler you can refer to the COM
                                  > component interface methods as: parent.COMCompID.SendEvent(evt)
                                  > where COMCompID is the id of the embedded COM object;SendEvent(evt)
                                  is the
                                  > COM interface method

                                  Would SendEvent be the name of the method in my C# class? What about
                                  parameters?

                                  Yes - but again - this is Interop - so same rules apply i.e. IE can access
                                  the methods off a C# interface only.

                                  > You can embed a C# component too - I believe IE supports that. But,
                                  I found
                                  > it easier to use a COM component and then use a C# app. to process
                                  the
                                  > SVGDocument directly to do whatever you need to do - you can get
                                  you data
                                  > updates into your C# app. and process the data and accordingly
                                  update the
                                  > SVG document with C# routines i.e. on the SVG DOM - based on the
                                  previously
                                  > received SVGDocument object.

                                  I may be missing something here, but I thought that the COM component
                                  would reside on the web server and then would be called by the web
                                  client via Javascript code. I definitely don't want or need to embed
                                  a C# component into my client app. I will be processing the svg doc
                                  by using Javascript.

                                  Also, I only want to do this if it will be supported by most browsers
                                  and not just IE. Do you know if this is the case? If the component
                                  is on the server, I didn't that that would matter.

                                  ---
                                  If you need to do all you processing on the client - then it sounds like
                                  you just need to parse some data updates through JS and update your SVG
                                  document with that. So, in that case you just need a normal C# or other web
                                  application that pulls in the required data. Your HTML based JS can process
                                  this data and pass it in to SVG for update or further SVG JS processing I
                                  guess. There are many examples of this around.

                                  What I mentioned above is for a situation where all processing happens on
                                  the server and no significant JS is used at all. The C# component support i
                                  know exists for IE. You wuld have to see what Firefox and all support. I
                                  think they'll all support ActiveX/COM components since I believe that is
                                  part of the JS spec.

                                  Service.

                                • Rick Bullotta
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                                    Use getURL. Your HttpHandler will to map to a URL something like:

                                    http://yourserver/YourHandler?timestamp=2005-02-01T12:15:00&dataset=XXX

                                    ASP.Net runs under IIS and exposes your handlers this way.

                                    You can return data as text, XML, whatever.

                                    I would suggest moving the discussion to the Microsoft ASP.NET newsgroups,
                                    where you'll be able to get more guidance on building your handler.

                                    Good luck!