Save SVG as PNG file?

  • tbone58x
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 25 4:43 PM
      I am using Windows 2000 and need to save the output of SVG content as
      a PNG file. What is the best tool to do something like this?
    • Philippe Lhoste
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 27 2:15 AM
        tbone58x wrote:
        > I am using Windows 2000 and need to save the output of SVG content as
        > a PNG file. What is the best tool to do something like this?

        If that's not in the Faq, it really should be.
        Please, search the list archive for the message "convert svg to jpeg or
        bitmap" posted a week ago, the answers should fit you.
        You can also use a snapshot software like MWSnap to capture the
        rendering of your favorite viewer, maybe automated by something like AutoIt.

        --
        Philippe Lhoste
        -- (near) Paris -- France
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 27 4:03 AM
          Hi Philippe,

          Philippe Lhoste wrote:

          > If that's not in the Faq, it really should be.
          > Please, search the list archive for the message "convert svg to jpeg or
          > bitmap" posted a week ago, the answers should fit you.
          > You can also use a snapshot software like MWSnap to capture the
          > rendering of your favorite viewer, maybe automated by something like AutoIt.

          If you want it automated use Batik (http://xml.apache.org/batik) to
          render the SVG and save it as a PNG (or JPEG, or TIFF). It does
          essentially all of Static SVG (and most of dynamic SVG, but no
          SMIL animation). So for essentially anything you want to capture as a
          PNG it does a great job.
        • tbone58x
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 27 2:28 PM
            Batik worked - thanks!
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Thomas DeWeese
            <thomas.deweese@k...> wrote:
            > Hi Philippe,
            >
            > > tbone58x wrote:
            >
            > >>I am using Windows 2000 and need to save the output of SVG content as
            > >>a PNG file. What is the best tool to do something like this?
            >
            > Philippe Lhoste wrote:
            >
            > > If that's not in the Faq, it really should be.
            > > Please, search the list archive for the message "convert svg to
            jpeg or
            > > bitmap" posted a week ago, the answers should fit you.
            > > You can also use a snapshot software like MWSnap to capture the
            > > rendering of your favorite viewer, maybe automated by something
            like AutoIt.

            > If you want it automated use Batik (http://xml.apache.org/batik) to
            > render the SVG and save it as a PNG (or JPEG, or TIFF). It does
            > essentially all of Static SVG (and most of dynamic SVG, but no
            > SMIL animation). So for essentially anything you want to capture as a
            > PNG it does a great job.
          • wywytse
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
              I have download Batik, but how can it automated render the SVG and
              save it as a PNG??

              Thanks...........

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "tbone58x" <tbellmer@e...>
              wrote:

              > Batik worked - thanks!
              > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Thomas DeWeese
              > <thomas.deweese@k...> wrote:
              > > Hi Philippe,

              > > Philippe Lhoste wrote:
              > >
              > > > If that's not in the Faq, it really should be.
              > > > Please, search the list archive for the message "convert svg to
              > jpeg or
              > > > bitmap" posted a week ago, the answers should fit you.
              > > > You can also use a snapshot software like MWSnap to capture
              the
              > > > rendering of your favorite viewer, maybe automated by something
              > like AutoIt.
              > >
              > > If you want it automated use Batik
              (http://xml.apache.org/batik) to
              > > render the SVG and save it as a PNG (or JPEG, or TIFF). It does
              > > essentially all of Static SVG (and most of dynamic SVG, but no
              > > SMIL animation). So for essentially anything you want to
              capture as a
              > > PNG it does a great job.
            • Thomas DeWeese
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                wywytse wrote:

                > I have download Batik, but how can it automated render the SVG and
                > save it as a PNG??

                If you got the binary dist. Then there is a jar file
                called 'batik-rasterizer.jar'.

                The following should work assuming you are in the
                release directory:

                % java -jar batik-rasterizer.jar -m image/png samples/anne.svg

                You can use -help to get a list of other options (like
                output directory/file, etc).
              • Aashish Singhvi
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                  An online utility is also available at
                  http://www.fileformat.info/convert/image/svg2raster.htm
                  which uses Batik to do the conversion without having to type on the
                  command line.

                  I tried with some of my SVG files. It is pretty easy to use.
                  However, (I don't know if this problem is specific to this utility or
                  within the Batik conversion software itself) if you have viewBox
                  attributes that do implicit transforms during viewing, the output may
                  not be correct.

                  HTH,
                  Aashish

                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "wywytse" <wywytse@y...> wrote:

                  > I have download Batik, but how can it automated render the SVG and
                  > save it as a PNG??
                  >
                  > Thanks...........
                  >

                  > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "tbone58x" <tbellmer@e...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Batik worked - thanks!
                  > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Thomas DeWeese
                  > > <thomas.deweese@k...> wrote:
                  > > > Hi Philippe,

                  > content as

                  > > jpeg or
                  > the
                  > > like AutoIt.
                  > > >
                  > > > If you want it automated use Batik
                  > (http://xml.apache.org/batik) to
                  > > > render the SVG and save it as a PNG (or JPEG, or TIFF). It does
                  > > > essentially all of Static SVG (and most of dynamic SVG, but no
                  > > > SMIL animation). So for essentially anything you want to
                  > capture as a
                  > > > PNG it does a great job.
                • Jan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                    I tried this utility with my svg file and it created a blank jpeg
                    file. Any idea why?

                    --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Aashish Singhvi"
                    <aashishsinghvi@y...> wrote:

                    > An online utility is also available at
                    > http://www.fileformat.info/convert/image/svg2raster.htm
                    > which uses Batik to do the conversion without having to type on the
                    > command line.
                    >
                    > I tried with some of my SVG files. It is pretty easy to use.
                    > However, (I don't know if this problem is specific to this utility
                    or
                    > within the Batik conversion software itself) if you have viewBox
                    > attributes that do implicit transforms during viewing, the output
                    may
                    > not be correct.
                    >
                    > HTH,
                    > Aashish
                    >
                    > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "wywytse" <wywytse@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > > I have download Batik, but how can it automated render the SVG
                    and
                    > > save it as a PNG??
                    > >
                    > > Thanks...........
                    > >

                    > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "tbone58x" <tbellmer@e...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Batik worked - thanks!
                    > > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Thomas DeWeese

                    > > content as

                    > > > jpeg or
                    > > the
                    > something
                    > > > like AutoIt.

                    > > (http://xml.apache.org/batik) to
                    > > capture as a
                  • Aashish Singhvi
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                      Can you share the svg file that you were trying to convert to JPEG?
                      I tried converting to PNG, JPEG and it produces something.

                      May be, it is the issue with viewBox, I mentioned below.

                      -Aashish

                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <janlmiller@c...> wrote:

                      > I tried this utility with my svg file and it created a blank jpeg
                      > file. Any idea why?
                      >

                      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Aashish Singhvi"
                      > <aashishsinghvi@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > An online utility is also available at
                      > > http://www.fileformat.info/convert/image/svg2raster.htm
                      > > which uses Batik to do the conversion without having to type on
                      the
                      > > command line.
                      > >
                      > > I tried with some of my SVG files. It is pretty easy to use.
                      > > However, (I don't know if this problem is specific to this
                      utility
                      > or
                      > > within the Batik conversion software itself) if you have viewBox
                      > > attributes that do implicit transforms during viewing, the output
                      > may
                      > > not be correct.
                      > >
                      > > HTH,
                      > > Aashish
                      > >
                      > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "wywytse" <wywytse@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I have download Batik, but how can it automated render the SVG
                      > and
                      > > > save it as a PNG??
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks...........
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "tbone58x"
                      <tbellmer@e...>

                      SVG
                      > > > content as
                      > this?

                      > svg
                      > > > the
                      > > something

                      > > > (http://xml.apache.org/batik) to
                      > does
                      > > > capture as a
                    • Jan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                        I will email to you separately. I tried to upload it to the files
                        area, but even zipped it was too big. If anyone else wants to try
                        it, please let me know.

                        Thanks,

                        Jan

                        <aashishsinghvi@y...> wrote:

                        > Can you share the svg file that you were trying to convert to JPEG?
                        > I tried converting to PNG, JPEG and it produces something.
                        >
                        > May be, it is the issue with viewBox, I mentioned below.
                        >
                        > -Aashish
                        >
                        > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <janlmiller@c...>
                        wrote:

                        > > I tried this utility with my svg file and it created a blank jpeg
                        > > file. Any idea why?
                        > >

                        > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Aashish Singhvi"
                        > > <aashishsinghvi@y...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > An online utility is also available at
                        > > > http://www.fileformat.info/convert/image/svg2raster.htm
                        > > > which uses Batik to do the conversion without having to type on
                        > the
                        > > > command line.
                        > > >
                        > > > I tried with some of my SVG files. It is pretty easy to use.
                        > > > However, (I don't know if this problem is specific to this
                        > utility
                        > > or
                        > > > within the Batik conversion software itself) if you have
                        viewBox
                        > > > attributes that do implicit transforms during viewing, the
                        output
                        > > may
                        > > > not be correct.
                        > > >
                        > > > HTH,
                        > > > Aashish
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "wywytse" <wywytse@y...>

                        SVG
                        > > and

                        > <tbellmer@e...>

                        > SVG
                        > > this?

                        > > svg
                        > capture
                        > > > something

                        It
                        > > does
                        > no
                      • Jan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                          I'm using the default viewbox, however I am doing a transform='scale
                          (0.00025)' within the svg.

                          Jan

                          <aashishsinghvi@y...> wrote:

                          > Can you share the svg file that you were trying to convert to JPEG?
                          > I tried converting to PNG, JPEG and it produces something.
                          >
                          > May be, it is the issue with viewBox, I mentioned below.
                          >
                          > -Aashish
                          >
                          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <janlmiller@c...>
                          wrote:

                          > > I tried this utility with my svg file and it created a blank jpeg
                          > > file. Any idea why?
                          > >

                          > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Aashish Singhvi"
                          > > <aashishsinghvi@y...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > An online utility is also available at
                          > > > http://www.fileformat.info/convert/image/svg2raster.htm
                          > > > which uses Batik to do the conversion without having to type on
                          > the
                          > > > command line.
                          > > >
                          > > > I tried with some of my SVG files. It is pretty easy to use.
                          > > > However, (I don't know if this problem is specific to this
                          > utility
                          > > or
                          > > > within the Batik conversion software itself) if you have
                          viewBox
                          > > > attributes that do implicit transforms during viewing, the
                          output
                          > > may
                          > > > not be correct.
                          > > >
                          > > > HTH,
                          > > > Aashish
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "wywytse" <wywytse@y...>

                          SVG
                          > > and

                          > <tbellmer@e...>

                          > SVG
                          > > this?

                          > > svg
                          > capture
                          > > > something

                          It
                          > > does
                          > no
                        • Jan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                            Do you know if this bug occurs with only the online version of
                            Batik? Maybe I could try to download Batik and try it.

                            Jan

                            <aashishsinghvi@y...> wrote:

                            > Can you share the svg file that you were trying to convert to JPEG?
                            > I tried converting to PNG, JPEG and it produces something.
                            >
                            > May be, it is the issue with viewBox, I mentioned below.
                            >
                            > -Aashish
                            >
                            > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <janlmiller@c...>
                            wrote:

                            > > I tried this utility with my svg file and it created a blank jpeg
                            > > file. Any idea why?
                            > >

                            > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Aashish Singhvi"
                            > > <aashishsinghvi@y...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > An online utility is also available at
                            > > > http://www.fileformat.info/convert/image/svg2raster.htm
                            > > > which uses Batik to do the conversion without having to type on
                            > the
                            > > > command line.
                            > > >
                            > > > I tried with some of my SVG files. It is pretty easy to use.
                            > > > However, (I don't know if this problem is specific to this
                            > utility
                            > > or
                            > > > within the Batik conversion software itself) if you have
                            viewBox
                            > > > attributes that do implicit transforms during viewing, the
                            output
                            > > may
                            > > > not be correct.
                            > > >
                            > > > HTH,
                            > > > Aashish
                            > > >
                            > > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "wywytse" <wywytse@y...>

                            SVG
                            > > and

                            > <tbellmer@e...>

                            > SVG
                            > > this?

                            > > svg
                            > capture
                            > > > something

                            It
                            > > does
                            > no
                          • Jan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                              I get the following error when I try to execute the java command line
                              below:

                              C:\Program Files\Batik SVG Browser\batik-1.5.1>java -jar batik-
                              rasterizer.jar -
                              m image/png anne.svg
                              Exception in thread "main" java.security.AccessControlException:
                              access denied (
                              java.util.PropertyPermission java.security.policy write)
                              at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown
                              Source)
                              at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown
                              Source)
                              at java.lang.System.setProperty(Unknown Source)
                              at
                              org.apache.batik.util.ApplicationSecurityEnforcer.installSecurityMana
                              ger(Unknown Source)
                              at
                              org.apache.batik.util.ApplicationSecurityEnforcer.enforceSecurity(Unk
                              nown Source)
                              at org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.Main.execute(Unknown
                              Source)
                              at org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.Main.main(Unknown Source)

                              Does anyone know why?

                              Jan

                              <thomas.deweese@k...> wrote:
                              > wywytse wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I have download Batik, but how can it automated render the SVG
                              and
                              > > save it as a PNG??
                              >
                              > If you got the binary dist. Then there is a jar file
                              > called 'batik-rasterizer.jar'.
                              >
                              > The following should work assuming you are in the
                              > release directory:
                              >
                              > % java -jar batik-rasterizer.jar -m image/png samples/anne.svg
                              >
                              > You can use -help to get a list of other options (like
                              > output directory/file, etc).
                            • Thomas DeWeese
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                                Hi Jan,

                                What version of Java are you using?
                                Is it possible you have a non-standard security policy installed?

                                Anyway you can most likely get around this by using the
                                '-scriptSecurityOff' switch (which disables the install of
                                the script security policy).

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                                  Hi Aashish,

                                  Aashish Singhvi wrote:

                                  > I tried with some of my SVG files. It is pretty easy to use.
                                  > However, (I don't know if this problem is specific to this utility or
                                  > within the Batik conversion software itself) if you have viewBox
                                  > attributes that do implicit transforms during viewing, the output may
                                  > not be correct.

                                  Usually the problem is content without a viewBox attribute.
                                  The problem is that without a viewBox it is impossible to know what
                                  area of the infinate canvas should be displayed. If you have a
                                  width and/or height specified it will render 0,0 w, h. If you
                                  don't have them either then it randomly chooses 0,0 400,400 as
                                  you have provided no useful indication of the region to render
                                  (people often suggest using the BBOX and in some cases this
                                  may be better, but often the bbox is not correct).

                                  This of course is all easily changed if you want to write
                                  a little code.
                                • Jan
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                                    <thomas.deweese@k...> wrote:
                                    >Anyway you can most likely get around this by using the
                                    >'-scriptSecurityOff' switch (which disables the install of
                                    >the script security policy).

                                    Yes, I tried this and that worked. Thanks.

                                    > Usually the problem is content without a viewBox attribute.
                                    > The problem is that without a viewBox it is impossible to know what
                                    > area of the infinate canvas should be displayed. If you have a
                                    > width and/or height specified it will render 0,0 w, h. If you
                                    > don't have them either then it randomly chooses 0,0 400,400 as
                                    > you have provided no useful indication of the region to render
                                    > (people often suggest using the BBOX and in some cases this
                                    > may be better, but often the bbox is not correct).
                                    >
                                    > This of course is all easily changed if you want to write
                                    > a little code.

                                    I'm also using width='100%' height='100%'. Guess I'll have to add a
                                    viewbox to my svg then and try again. Thanks.