Re: [svg-developers] Copy paste problem

  • Philippe Lhoste
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
      Chee Seng wrote:
      > I opened the SVG file with IE browser, "Copy SVG" and paste into
      > Paint, I only get the portion that I see in the browser.
      >
      > How to copy the whole image from SVG?

      Ooh, I thought Copy SVG only copied the source, but it also copy a
      bitmap snapshot of what the browser display. So I don't need an image
      capture program to make hard copies of SVG.

      Indeed, if I reduce the browser size, I have a truncated image, with an
      ugly vertical black line on the right.

      I see two solutions:
      1) Zoom out the image. Loss of quality, not very good.
      2) Resize the browser window to the required dimensions.
      I use for example CopyText by Victor Sapojnikov
      <http://www10.pair.com/vsap/> which is a freeware allowing a number of
      window manipulations, like resizing to the dimension of your choice.

      I made a simple test SVG:

      <svg width="1000" height="1000"
      xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
      xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
      viewBox="0 0 1000 1000">
      <circle cx="500" cy="500" r="490" fill="blue" stroke="blue"/>
      </svg>

      I use CopyText to resize IE to 1010x1300.
      I use Copy SVG context menu and paste into IrfanView.
      Yeah! I got whole image, I have just to trim out the black line.

      Note: beware of Paint, older versions (?) had a bug too: when you paste
      an image larger than the internal window, it is cropped to window
      dimensions. Use a modern, performant image editor :-)
      There are lot around, some even free.

      --
      Philippe Lhoste
      -- (near) Paris -- France