how to add text in svg map

  • maria ulfa
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2005
      i have a trouble in adding text in my svg map. my map is converted from GML file, using XSL. can we add text on a feature of map. we do it in svg or xsl?
      could you help??

    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2005

        SVG's text features are very powerful. You can use any text formatting that you know from
        DTP (except flow text, but thats not a problem for map labels; flow text is however part of
        the coming SVG 1.2).

        The trickier problem is how to avoid overlapping text labels.

        Whether you do it in SVG or XSL? Well, the final output is in SVG of course, so you have to
        do it in SVG, thats clear. Whether you use XSLT to generate the text labels (I doubt that
        XSLT is powerful enough to provide an algorithm for avoiding text label overlapping) or
        ECMAscript or any other serverside scripting, does not really matter.

        Andreas