svg editor

  • rajat talwar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      hi
      plz those of you who have worked on svg editors
      could you tell me what is the best canvas for an svg
      editor. i am using vb and currently npsvg6.dll
      supplied by adobe asmy canvas but it does not supprt
      mousedown and
      mouse move event could any suggest any other
      alternative

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        rajat talwar wrote:

        > hi
        > plz those of you who have worked on svg editors
        > could you tell me what is the best canvas for an svg
        > editor. i am using vb and currently npsvg6.dll
        > supplied by adobe asmy canvas but it does not supprt
        > mousedown and
        > mouse move event could any suggest any other
        > alternative

        and
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers/message/46495

        may help you. Mario has some experience mixing VB and SVG, and maybe he
        can help. Also checks his Web site http://www2.tmn.it/xml/ although it
        seems not available as the time of writing.

        --
        Philippe Lhoste
        -- (near) Paris -- France
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
          Thank you Philippe...by the way the site is still working but for a few time,
          because I'm trying to switch to a better provider.
          Here is the URL:
          http://193.109.46.48/xml

          I've just posted a new small example for as much simpler as much rough way to
          interact between VB6 and the Adobe Viewer 3 or 6.
          Of course all that works only under Windows.
          Here is the link:
          http://193.109.46.48/xml/Projects/VB_SVG/vb_svg.zip

          Problems...
          1. Even it's working fine, it has many "indirect" noisy faults...the
          case-sensing (mandatory for C++, script and so SVG DOM) is a nightmare within
          the VB IDE, that automatically converts to the "proper" case any word.
          Unfortunately, the IDE hasn't a good treatment for the case and the only one
          way to preserve (even not at 100%) is to declare dummy variables with the
          same name of the property/method invoked...

          2. You must be patient and careful...
          The sample uses a script engine that act as a "bridge" between VB and SVG. In
          fact, it's a real multi-threaded service running in background together with
          the (single-threaded) VB app.
          If something is wrong within VB, but you don't shut properly the script
          engine...then you'll gain a complete stall of the IDE...it won't be freezed,
          nor hang...but there's no way to stop/restart/break your app...the only thing
          to do is opening task manager and forcing VB to unload.
          KNOWN THAT...remember to save the source as many frequently as you can!!!!

          3. Office, office, office...
          I like Office everyday lesser and I pushed my wife to use StarOffice under
          Linux instead!
          If you don't have Office, the sample is working ok.
          If you have Office in the typical config, you probably will see a message
          asking for the Office CD.
          I never never was able to understand why and how to surround that behavior,
          but our customers know that and finally accepted...
          You may cancel the dialog and the sample works fine, but every time you start
          the sample that dialog appears again, until the Office CD is eaten by the
          system...after that the dialog isn't shown anymore.
          Ops!...I refer to Office 2000 and over.

          4. It's quite difficult to debug the app, because it appears like an hybrid
          program, built using 3 different techniques.

          5. The SVG document MUST HAVE the declaration to use the Microsoft scripting
          engine.

          Conclusion...
          If you need simple apps with limited interaction, that sample could be surely
          convenient.

          Pros:
          - very small code;
          - very fast to adapt;
          - nothing to configure in the system (except for Office);

          Cons:
          - case-sensing;
          - noisy to debug, some error may hangs the IDE, some others may show the same
          error twice (once per engine);
          - works only within Windows and with IE6 (I suggest at least 6);
          - something strange around Office installation;
          - not particularly clean code, because you must take care for 3 different
          engines;
          - the system is hard: one app=one code=one SVG;

          SECOND SOLUTION.
          In case of more complex interaction, I strongly suggest another solution that
          is a small-small-small web server (written in VB and embedded in your app)
          that communicates with the browser.

          Pros:
          - complete independence from the browser (it will works also with Mozilla
          stuffs);
          - good independence from the SVG viewer (it will works also with native
          Mozilla SVG viewer, but also with Batik and others);
          - ability to use whatever scripting engine inside the SVG document;
          - all that independence/flexibility is ready without any modification of the
          VB app;
          - really strong and reliable;
          - small footprint of scripting needed on the SVG document;
          - much more close to the web nature;
          - ability to use the "normal" web browser, not being enclosed in the app;
          - easily defers server-app and browser to realize either local or remote
          control;
          - ability to have more than one browser concurrent to the VB app (must be
          properly managed);

          Cons:
          - browser and server communicates thru a TCP/IP port: in case of firewall, it
          must be configured to leave access for the data;
          - the SVG docs must be adjusted to host/to be hosted for the communication;
          - the VB code is pretty long (the web server needs several lines of code);

          I'll prepare the 2nd sample of sure, but not at the moment.
          Have a nice day and a good new year eve!...
          Cheers
          Mario

          On Saturday 01 January 2005 20:44, Philippe Lhoste wrote:
          > rajat talwar wrote:
          > > hi
          > > plz those of you who have worked on svg editors
          > > could you tell me what is the best canvas for an svg
          > > editor. i am using vb and currently npsvg6.dll
          > > supplied by adobe asmy canvas but it does not supprt
          > > mousedown and
          > > mouse move event could any suggest any other
          > > alternative

          > and
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers/message/46495
          >
          > may help you. Mario has some experience mixing VB and SVG, and maybe he
          > can help. Also checks his Web site http://www2.tmn.it/xml/ although it
          > seems not available as the time of writing.
          >
          > --
          > Philippe Lhoste
          > --  (near) Paris -- France
          > --  http://Phi.Lho.free.fr
          > --  For servers mangling my From and Reply-To fields,
          > --  please send private answers to PhiLho(a)GMX.net
          > --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --

          > membership" ----
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • rajat talwar
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2005
            thankx Mario and Specially Phillipe for his kind
            concern. svg Activex definitely works better 10000
            times with vb.net
            i've decided to use frontpage kind format for my
            editor
            as svg activex has limited rights and functionality in
            vb6. anyone needing help in svg and vb6 mixture can
            contact me i'll try to help
            --- Mario Vernari <vernarim@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > hi
            > > > plz those of you who have worked on svg editors
            > > > could you tell me what is the best canvas for
            > an svg
            > > > editor. i am using vb and currently npsvg6.dll
            > > > supplied by adobe asmy canvas but it does not
            > supprt
            > > > mousedown and
            > > > mouse move event could any suggest any other
            > > > alternative

            > > and

            > > may help you. Mario has some experience mixing VB
            > and SVG, and maybe he
            > > can help. Also checks his Web site
            > http://www2.tmn.it/xml/ although it
            > > seems not available as the time of writing.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Philippe Lhoste
            > > -- (near) Paris -- France
            > > -- http://Phi.Lho.free.fr
            > > -- For servers mangling my From and Reply-To

            === message truncated ===

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
              Hello i am looking for a good stable svg editor i have many problems with
              inkscape 0.41

            • Holger Will
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
                Erwan TROEL wrote:

                > Hello i am looking for a good stable svg editor i have many problems with
                > inkscape 0.41

                hi Erwan
                you should check out EvolGrafiX XStudio 6.0
                http://www.evolgrafix.com/
                hth
                Holger

                p.s.: by the way , whats your problem with Inkscape ?
                it runs pretty stable here, on both windows and linux machines.
              • Erwan TROEL
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
                  i try to change the attribute zoomandspan from disable to magnify when i define it inkscape disappear
                  > Hello i am looking for a good stable svg editor i have many problems with
                  > inkscape 0.41

                  hi Erwan
                  you should check out EvolGrafiX XStudio 6.0
                  http://www.evolgrafix.com/
                  hth
                  Holger

                  p.s.: by the way , whats your problem with Inkscape ?
                  it runs pretty stable here, on both windows and linux machines.

                  visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"

                • Tonny Kohar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005

                    On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 16:23 +0200, Erwan TROEL wrote:
                    > Hello i am looking for a good stable svg editor i have many problems with
                    > inkscape 0.41

                    You might check out Sketsa SVG Graphics Editor.
                    It is available at http://www.kiyut.com/products/sketsa/index.html

                    Regards
                    Tonny Kohar
                    --