Re: [svg-developers] Re: Batik in an applet as an SVG viewer

  • Jérôme Tricand de la Goutte
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hello Pierre

      We faced the same problem, ie, developping a web site using SVG which
      can be seen on Windows (of course) and on Mac and Linux.
      That's why we choose a fullSVG version. So we developped a graphical
      library with checkboxes, listboxes and so.
      And we do not use HTML anymore. So no problem of communication between
      SVG and HTML.
      You can see if at http://sigeure.logatique.fr/ouvre.asp in french

      Hope it helps

      Jérôme

      --
      Jérôme Tricand de la Goutte

      Société Logatique
      50 rue Marcel Dassault
      92100 Boulogne-Billancourt

      01 46 21 59 59

    • Jeroen Dekker
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
        Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:44:27 +0200
        From: "Bru, Pierre" <pierre.bru@...>

        > The Adobe SVG viewer does not work well with Mozilla. Is it possible to
        > encapsulate the batik SVG engine in an applet that would act as an SVG
        > viewer ? If so, does one of you know such an applet ?

        It is possible. One of our large corporate clients used Batik as the SVG viewer inside a Java applet to serve financial reports from Oracle of up to 50 pages to the user's browser in real-time. Our ps2vector software generated the SVG pages on the server from PostScript data streams generated out of Oracle upon the user's request.

        The applet was a proprietary solution and part of a large enterprise application they sell to the financial industry, so I can't point you to any code or anything. But the example illustrates that it is possible, good enough for a mission-critical application like this! I'm not sure how Batik would deal with interactivity, animation and the like.

        Regards,

        Jeroen Dekker
        _________________________________

        Square One - The Graphics Connection
        Visit http://www.square1.nl/index.htm

        Square One bv
        Schiestraat 38
        2201 AS Noordwijk
        The Netherlands

        Tel. +31 71 364 8657
        Fax: +31 71 362 0293
        jeroen@...
      • Martin Honnen
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Pierre Bru" <pierre.bru@s...>
          wrote:
          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Honnen"
          > <honnen_martin@y...> wrote:
          > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Bru, Pierre" <pierre.bru@s...>
          > > wrote:
          > >

          > > Adobe SVG viewer 3.01 should work well with Mozilla to render
          > > SVG content embedded in a HTML page, the only thing not supported is
          > > HTML<-->SVG script communication.
          >
          > that's quiete annoying... :( I tried this very simple example
          > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/canvas.shtml
          > and the checkboxes do not work...
          >
          > that's what I call "does not work well" and why I'm searching for an
          > alternative.

          I see, but if you stuff Batik into an applet and embed that in an HTML
          page you are first of all getting an SVG viewer that is not connected
          with the browser/HTML page and are then faced with the task to get
          script communication between HTML<-->Applet<-->Batik to work where I
          have doubts that you end up with more working combinations of
          browser/SVG viewer/OS than the Adobe SVG viewer offers.
          And Batik as far as I know doesn't support SMIL animation in SVG graphics.
        • Rick Bullotta
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
            Actually, there are many easy ways to get HTML<->Applet<->Batik
            communications working reliably, across many browsers. In actuality, what
            you want is ECMAScript<->Applet<->Batik communications. All major browsers
            that we've worked with support LiveConnect for JavaScript<->Java
            communications (bi-directionally).

            Rick Bullotta
            CTO
            Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)

            > > Adobe SVG viewer 3.01 should work well with Mozilla to render
            > > SVG content embedded in a HTML page, the only thing not supported is
            > > HTML<-->SVG script communication.
            >
            > that's quiete annoying... :( I tried this very simple example
            > http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/canvas.shtml
            > and the checkboxes do not work...
            >
            > that's what I call "does not work well" and why I'm searching for an
            > alternative.

            I see, but if you stuff Batik into an applet and embed that in an HTML
            page you are first of all getting an SVG viewer that is not connected
            with the browser/HTML page and are then faced with the task to get
            script communication between HTML<-->Applet<-->Batik to work where I
            have doubts that you end up with more working combinations of
            browser/SVG viewer/OS than the Adobe SVG viewer offers.
            And Batik as far as I know doesn't support SMIL animation in SVG graphics.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • pavan kumar
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004

              I am using the function printNode on IE using ASV 3.

              alert(printNode(SVGDocument));

              But i get an error -> Object Expected.

              Please let me know the problem.

              S.Pavan Kumar

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Robin Berjon
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
                pavan kumar wrote:
                > I am using the function printNode on IE using ASV 3.
                >
                > alert(printNode(SVGDocument));
                >
                > But i get an error -> Object Expected.
                > Please let me know the problem.

                It looks like your "SVGDocument" object is not defined.

                --
                Robin Berjon
              • gmcaulee
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
                  >> The Adobe SVG viewer does not work well with Mozilla.

                  >Why not? Adobe SVG viewer 3.01 should work well with Mozilla to
                  >render SVG content embedded in a HTML page, the only thing not
                  >supported is HTML<-->SVG script communication.

                  For me, HTML<-->SVG script communication is essential. It works fine
                  in ASV3/IE, but does anyone know of plans for it to be implemented in
                  ASV3 with Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox/Safari?

                  >FYI - the Mozilla build with native SVG support looks promising. It
                  >has script support within SVG and from SVG to the owning document
                  >(still need to test invoking routines within SVG from the HTML side).

                  Sounds great! (Native SVG has to be the future, but how soon does the
                  future come to all the browsers? :) )

                  >I've been able to overcome most differences so far between IE+ASV and
                  >Mozilla+native SVG which is good news.

                  Do you do this by serving two versions of the 'same' page (ie, one
                  version for Mozilla with native SVG, and one version for IE with ASV
                  and <embed>), or can you 'hide' content from the browsers, and use a
                  single html page? I would be very interested in more details.
                • Chris Lilley
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
                    On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, 8:45:23 PM, gmcaulee wrote:

                    >>> The Adobe SVG viewer does not work well with Mozilla.

                    >>Why not? Adobe SVG viewer 3.01 should work well with Mozilla to
                    >>render SVG content embedded in a HTML page, the only thing not
                    >>supported is HTML<-->SVG script communication.

                    g> For me, HTML<-->SVG script communication is essential. It works fine
                    g> in ASV3/IE,

                    clarification - in ASV3or6 / MSIE/Win. Not, for example, in IE/Mac.

                    g> but does anyone know of plans for it to be implemented in
                    g> ASV3 with Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox/Safari?

                    Where is the spec?

                    >>FYI - the Mozilla build with native SVG support looks promising. It
                    >>has script support within SVG and from SVG to the owning document
                    >>(still need to test invoking routines within SVG from the HTML side).

                    g> Sounds great! (Native SVG has to be the future, but how soon does the
                    g> future come to all the browsers? :) )

                    Sooner to some than to others.

                    --
                    Chris Lilley mailto:chris@...
                    Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
                      >>I've been able to overcome most differences so far between IE+ASV and
                      >>Mozilla+native SVG which is good news.

                      >Do you do this by serving two versions of the 'same' page (ie, one
                      >version for Mozilla with native SVG, and one version for IE with ASV
                      >and <embed>), or can you 'hide' content from the browsers, and use a
                      >single html page? I would be very interested in more details.

                      The SVG is the same. I externalize all my behavior in external script
                      files - scrolling support, tooltip, ... as well as general functions.
                      There are features such as loadXML, parseXML, ... and DOM routines that are
                      different and therefore I have my own routines that handle the differences
                      between the platforms. All of the using code invokes these new routines.
                      As compared to the rest of the script code for the application, the code to
                      support both platforms is minimal so downloading it to support both
                      platforms even though "half" of it will never be used is not an issue.

                      As far as what the HTML page contains, I have JSP (could be ASP as well)
                      tags and XSLT templates that emit either an EMBED tag for IE or an OBJECT
                      tag for Mozilla depending on which technology the page developer wishes to
                      use. Again the page developers use a common name and let the environment
                      handle what is necessary. My goal is to let them focus on the content
                      while the tags/templates and script handle platform issues.

                      HTH,
                      Larry