RE: [svg-developers] Re: SOAP Calls from SVG

  • Rick Bullotta
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
      In many cases, without things like advanced authentication and some of the
      necessary layers beyond simple HTTP/SOAP support, very little "real" work
      would be do-able. Also, without some type of built-in "object model" with
      serialization/deserialization of types, any implementation of SOAP within an
      environment like ECMA script or a limited container like an SVG viewer or
      Flash would be tedious and error-prone...

      - Rick

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hi Jan-Klaas,

        > nice subject :)

        Indeed!

        > SVG1.2 will bring sockets and better http support.
        > This will allow us to even make SOAP calls (using 100% SVG
        > without using things like ActiveX or special viewer extensions).

        I have to say that I'm finding myself more and more against this approach.
        It seems that the goal is to cram as much into the SVG language as possible
        to try to make it come close to a 'real' programming environment. But what
        do sockets and protocols have to do with vectors and Gaussian filters? In
        fact, applications that I've seen that are written 'in SVG' are little
        better than applications written 'in HTML'; they both consist of some
        mark-up for the UI, coupled with enormous amounts of script for everything
        else.

        In my view the key to solving some of these problems is better integration
        between standards. Of course that's no easy feat when there are so many
        vested interests, but this topic does illustrate the point well - why not
        leave all the data management, schema validation and so on to XForms, and
        then use SVG for the UI? XForms 1.0 already has strong XML submit and
        receive support, as well as schema validation, and XForms 1.1 will have full
        SOAP support.

        An example of using a weather web service to retrieve some data from a zip
        code (using XForms) and then show the high and low temperature ranges for
        the next five days (using SVG) is available here:

        <http://www.formsplayer.com/demo/web-services/weather-svg.html>

        The demo requires the Adobe plug-in and formsPlayer, an XForms processor for
        IE. If you don't have formsPlayer and want to try this demo out, you can
        download it from:

        http://www.formsPlayer.com/

        Note that the technique used in the example simply involves registering for
        XForms events that allow us to be notified when data has changed, and then
        using script to poke values into the SVG at the right places. In this
        example we set the height and position of the bars to show the temperature
        range, but it could obviously be anything you like; the important difference
        from current techniques is that you can now make use of all the
        model-related features of formsPlayer and XForms:

        * full schema validation with events to tell you when data goes valid or
        invalid
        * ability to submit and receive documents in a variety of serialisations,
        including XML and multipart-MIME
        * create spreadsheet-style dependencies between data, and let the engine
        keep it up-to-date for you

        and much more.

        A more refined approach than the one shown here is where XForms widgets are
        themselves implemented using SVG. We will be making a formsPlayer technology
        preview available any time now, which does exactly that, and in fact one
        demo that will be available is a 'drop-box' that is an SVG map, allowing the
        user to choose an airport.

        But in the meantime, given the current discussion on web services and SVG I
        thought it worth drawing SVG developers' attention to the XForms/SVG/script
        technique illustrated by the weather sample. In the technology preview it
        will be possible to remove the script that wires the XForms and SVG
        processors together, so anyone wishing to work with this current approach
        will be able to take their applications forward.

        If you are not familiar with XForms, and want further examples of using
        XForms to access services, there is a non-SVG version of exactly the same
        weather service here:

        <http://www.formsplayer.com/demo/web-services/weather.html>

        and a sample that accesses Amazon, here:

        <http://www.formsplayer.com/demo/web-services/amazon.htm>

        We also have a very old Google demo here:

        <http://www.formsplayer.com/community/samples/google-search.html>

        So in summary, those using the Adobe plug-in with IE can now use XForms to
        give them the data management side, and then use SVG for the UI.

        Regards,

        Mark

        Mark Birbeck
        CEO