Re: Adobe Illustrator SVG saving- text on a path

  • deweywhite
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2004
      The problem with that solution is that the SVG file will be changed
      via a web interface and then the file is to be re-opened in
      Illustrator. So even if I manually "link" the path to the text,
      when I re-open the file in Illustrator it butchers it.

      It is a combination of two Known Issues:

      Adobe Known Issue: Changes made to an SVG file using Adobe Server
      don't appear when reopened in Illustrator

      Adobe Known Issue: Can't replace Illustrator (SVG) text along a path
      or text that is flowing around a graphic

      I would like to edit a .SVG file created in Illustrator that
      contains text along a path. If I do this and do not "preserve
      Illustrator editing" the text contents are changed,but is not
      preserved around the path (it becomes distinct characters). If
      I "preserve editing" the changes do not show up at all in
      Illustrator.(known bug)

      Therefore, I chose to look at the Warped Text option. This option
      embeds a lot of .ai data, but does not give me the ability to edit
      it.

      Is there a way to edit warped text from a web interface?

      Thanks for your help.

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, I'lam Mougy <imougy@y...>
      wrote:
> [...]
      > need to modify anything in the file. It is annoying,
      > but that is the best you can do.
      >
      > Ideally, Illustrator should have an option for "Keep
      > appearance" or "keep editability". "Keep Appearance"
      > will flatten text-on-path, will look good in viewer
      > but hard to edit, "Keep Editability" will look
      > different in the viewer, but will get you text-on-path
      > structure.
      >
      > I'lam
      >

      > --- deweywhite <Anderson_White@h...> wrote:
      > > I am interested in saving an illustrator native file
      > > as a SVG file
      > > so that I can manipulate the contents of text
      > > objects and the fill
      > > colors from a web interface. This process is easy
      > > enough when only
      > > using basic text; however, when I create text on a
      > > path in
      > > Illustrator and save it as SVG, it creates a lot of
      > > t-span objects
      > > with absolute coordinates and rotations. This is a
      > > problem in terms
      > > of editing that text.
      > >
      > > I have done a bit of research on path text in SVG
      > > and have learned
      > > how to manually create center aligned editable text
      > > on a path.
      > >
      > > <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
      > > <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN"
      > >
      > > "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
      > > <svg width="12cm" height="3.6cm" viewBox="0 0 1000
      > > 300" version="1.1"
      > > xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
      > > xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      > > <defs>
      > > <path id="MyPath"
      > > d="M 100 200
      > > C 200 100 300 0 400 100
      > > C 500 200 600 300 700 200
      > > C 800 100 900 100 900 100" />
      > > </defs>
      > > <desc>Example toap01 - simple text on a
      > > path</desc>
      > > <use xlink:href="#MyPath" fill="none" stroke="red"
      > > />
      > > <text font-family="Verdana" font-size="42.5"
      > > fill="blue">
      > > <textPath xlink:href="#MyPath" startOffset="50%"
      > > text-
      > > anchor="middle">
      > > We go up
      > > </textPath>
      > > </text>
      > > <!-- Show outline of canvas using 'rect' element
      > > -->
      > > <rect x="1" y="1" width="998" height="298"
      > > fill="none" stroke="blue" stroke-width="2"
      > > />
      > > </svg>
      > >

      > > However, when I open this document in Illustator it
      > > appears
      > > differently (the text no longer follows the curve
      > > and I can only
      > > edit on letter at a time) and then saves the file
      > > differently. It
      > > replaces the very simple text path text with <tspan>
      > > objects. (I am
      > > only pasting in the relevant portion of the file)

      d="M34.675,68.691C68.69,34.676,102.707,0.66,136.723,34.676s68.031,68.
      > > 031,102.047,34.016 s68.031-34.016,68.031-34.016"/>
      > > </g>
      > >
      > > <text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 139.9277 37.9121)"
      > > style="&st2;"><tspan x="0" y="0" style="&st3; &st0;
      > > &st5;">W</tspan></text>
      > >
      > > <text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 150.1582 47.9858)"
      > > style="&st2;"><tspan x="0" y="0" style="&st3; &st0;
      > > &st5;">e</tspan></text>
      > >
      > > <text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 156.3491 53.833)"
      > > style="&st2;"><tspan x="0" y="0" style="&st3; &st0;
      > > &st5;">
      > > </tspan></text>
      > >
      > > <text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 159.96 57.168)"
      > > style="&st2;"><tspan
      > > x="0" y="0" style="&st3; &st0;
      > > &st5;">g</tspan></text>
      > >
      > > <text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 166.7666 63.0586)"
      > > style="&st2;"><tspan x="0" y="0" style="&st3; &st0;
      > > &st5;">o</tspan></text>
      > >
      > > <text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 173.6943 68.4443)"
      > > style="&st2;"><tspan x="0" y="0" style="&st3; &st0;
      > > &st5;">
      > > </tspan></text>
      > >
      > > <text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 177.8027 71.4463)"
      > > style="&st2;"><tspan x="0" y="0" style="&st3; &st0;
      > > &st5;">u</tspan></text>
      > >
      > > <text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 185.6045 76.2461)"
      > > style="&st2;"><tspan x="0" y="0" style="&st3; &st0;
      > > &st5;">p</tspan></text>
      > >
      > > <rect x="1" y="1" style="&st4;" width="339.477"
      > > height="101.367"/>
      > > </g>
      > >

      > > Could someone help me? How can I tell Adobe to
      > > preserve my file
      > > formatting?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Anderson

    • I'lam Mougy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 29, 2004
        The option I mentioned in my email doesn't exist in
        Illustrator, what you mentioned about "preserve
        Illustrator editing", all it does is embed a binary
        data of native ai file inside the svg, which is
        useless to you.
        I don't think there is a solution to your issue, you
        basically need text-on-path to be preserved by
        Illustrator on import and this can't be done.

        I'lam

        === message truncated ===
      • deweywhite
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 29, 2004
          I suppose that is the harsh reality. However, Adobe Graphics Server
          claims to be capable of editing Warped Text(I recognize that this is
          binary data)? Is anynone familiar with this or do you know any
          alternatives? Should I be looking at a different file type?

          Thanks

          wrote:
> [...]
          > > > different in the viewer, but will get you
          > > text-on-path
          > > > structure.
          > > >
          > > > I'lam

          > > file
          > > easy
          > > of
          > > is a

          > > SVG
          > > text

          > > "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
          > > 1000
          > > stroke="red"
          > > startOffset="50%"
          > > element
          > > stroke-width="2"

          > > it
          > > curve
          > > file
          > > <tspan>
          > > file)

          d="M34.675,68.691C68.69,34.676,102.707,0.66,136.723,34.676s68.031,68.

        • I'lam Mougy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 29, 2004
            If you choose the option in the advanced panel of the
            svg save dialog, "Include Extended Syntax for Variable
            Data", this will output some xml for Adobe Server,
            have you checked that. But again, going to
            Illustrator will not do you any good.

            === message truncated ===
          • deweywhite
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2004