Re: [svg-developers] New draft SVG Tiny 1.2

  • Dean Jackson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
      On Thu 01 Jul 2004, Rick Bullotta wrote:

      > Thanks, Dean. A historical question: Why the omission of the elliptical arc
      > element?

      Mostly because no one was going to implement it.
      Also, it is rarely used, it has to be approximated in
      most drawing libraries, it isn't optimised in the same
      way bezier functions are, and lots of people get
      frightened by the maths in the Appendix which tells
      you how to implement it.

      IMO, it should have been removed from Basic and Full
      as well, as I don't think such a fundamental element
      should behave differently on different profiles. According
      to the spec, a Full viewer must go into error if it
      finds a path with an elliptical arc and baseProfile="tiny".
      I really doubt that is how it will be implemented.

      > Also, did the concept of a declarative pie slice object
      > (centerpoint, radius, start angle, sweep angle) ever get tabled for
      > discussion? It would be a sweet addition to the spec...

      It was discussed in April 2000 during the SVG 1.0 timeframe, and
      many times since. However I would suggest that, for now, you
      look at implementing it in RCC or sXBL when that is available.
      I think it is Michel who has done this already.

      Dean