RE: [svg-developers] Re: SVG in Flex: an executive summary

  • Rick Bullotta
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
      Continuing the metaphor theme...

      "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step..."

      I would be elated to see SVG-T 1.2 supported in Flex/Flash Viewer...and the
      fact that a code base exists in Flash-Lite to start from makes that a very
      real possibility. If the Flash XML capabilities were beefed up a bit, and a
      bridge to the "MicroDOM" in SVG-T was provided, very useful things could be
      done. For that matter, I'd love to see the Trait Access stuff in SVG-T DOM
      in all of the SVG profiles...

      - Rick

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
        Rick Bullotta wrote:
        > For that matter, I'd love to see the Trait Access stuff in SVG-T DOM
        > in all of the SVG profiles...

        It's a design principle that everything that's in a smaller profile is
        in a higher one. So what's in Tiny is in Full (there's no Basic left
        anymore). Wish granted! ;)

        --
        Robin Berjon
      • Rick Bullotta
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
          Schweet! I really like the typed access...and the fact that it hides the
          issue of whether the trait was set via CSS, attribute or other...very cool.

          > For that matter, I'd love to see the Trait Access stuff in SVG-T DOM
          > in all of the SVG profiles...

          It's a design principle that everything that's in a smaller profile is
          in a higher one. So what's in Tiny is in Full (there's no Basic left
          anymore). Wish granted! ;)

          --
          Robin Berjon
        • pavan kumar
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004

            I would like to generate svg charts from XML Data.
            Since there are 2 approaches
            1: Client Side using Script
            2: Server Side using XSLT..

            Which is the better approach?? ... Please let me know
            if there is any alternative other than these two...

            Thanking you,

            S.Pavan Kumar

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Rick Bullotta
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
              There are, of course, many other server-side options than XSLT. You could
              write servlets, web services, ASP/ASP.NET/JSP, Perl scripts, etc...

              I think you'll find it more robust to do in "code" rather than XSLT...

              I would like to generate svg charts from XML Data.
              Since there are 2 approaches
              1: Client Side using Script
              2: Server Side using XSLT..

              Which is the better approach?? ... Please let me know
              if there is any alternative other than these two...

              Thanking you,

              S.Pavan Kumar

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • scotthughesameritech
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
                It's a matter of what makes the most sence for a given application.
                We chose to write XSLT to spit out our OrgChart in SVG. We use
                JFreeChart ( http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/ ) for other charting
                purposes.

                And befor you ask The OrgChart XSLT isn't available. Yet. I'm
                working with my company on releasing it to the public.

                Scott