Re: SVG in Flex: an executive summary

  • m_verstaen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 11:09 AM
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Bullotta"
      <Rick.Bullotta@l...> wrote:
      > In keeping with my overuse of metaphors...
      >
      > "I see the glass half full while you see it half empty..."

      I see two glasses here in fact.

      The first one for the SVG-T support in the Flash-Lite viewer: this
      is a great acknoledgement of the SVG domination in the mobile world.

      The second one is the limited support of SVG in Flex. The problem
      here is more that with what I know of it, claiming that Flex can
      import SVG files is incorrect. Saying that Flex can import static
      designs through a subset of SVG is more like it. This can be useful
      if you want to create dynamic SVG files (using XSLT perhaps) or if
      you need to import Illustrator drawings. But no more.

      Marc
    • Rick Bullotta
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1 11:44 AM
        Continuing the metaphor theme...

        "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step..."

        I would be elated to see SVG-T 1.2 supported in Flex/Flash Viewer...and the
        fact that a code base exists in Flash-Lite to start from makes that a very
        real possibility. If the Flash XML capabilities were beefed up a bit, and a
        bridge to the "MicroDOM" in SVG-T was provided, very useful things could be
        done. For that matter, I'd love to see the Trait Access stuff in SVG-T DOM
        in all of the SVG profiles...

        - Rick

        > In keeping with my overuse of metaphors...
        >
        > "I see the glass half full while you see it half empty..."

        I see two glasses here in fact.

        The first one for the SVG-T support in the Flash-Lite viewer: this
        is a great acknoledgement of the SVG domination in the mobile world.

        The second one is the limited support of SVG in Flex. The problem
        here is more that with what I know of it, claiming that Flex can
        import SVG files is incorrect. Saying that Flex can import static
        designs through a subset of SVG is more like it. This can be useful
        if you want to create dynamic SVG files (using XSLT perhaps) or if
        you need to import Illustrator drawings. But no more.

        Marc
      • Robin Berjon
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1 11:57 AM
          Rick Bullotta wrote:
          > For that matter, I'd love to see the Trait Access stuff in SVG-T DOM
          > in all of the SVG profiles...

          It's a design principle that everything that's in a smaller profile is
          in a higher one. So what's in Tiny is in Full (there's no Basic left
          anymore). Wish granted! ;)

          --
          Robin Berjon
        • Rick Bullotta
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1 12:28 PM
            Schweet! I really like the typed access...and the fact that it hides the
            issue of whether the trait was set via CSS, attribute or other...very cool.

            > For that matter, I'd love to see the Trait Access stuff in SVG-T DOM
            > in all of the SVG profiles...

            It's a design principle that everything that's in a smaller profile is
            in a higher one. So what's in Tiny is in Full (there's no Basic left
            anymore). Wish granted! ;)

            --
            Robin Berjon
          • pavan kumar
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1 1:17 PM

              I would like to generate svg charts from XML Data.
              Since there are 2 approaches
              1: Client Side using Script
              2: Server Side using XSLT..

              Which is the better approach?? ... Please let me know
              if there is any alternative other than these two...

              Thanking you,

              S.Pavan Kumar

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Rick Bullotta
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1 1:27 PM
                There are, of course, many other server-side options than XSLT. You could
                write servlets, web services, ASP/ASP.NET/JSP, Perl scripts, etc...

                I think you'll find it more robust to do in "code" rather than XSLT...

                I would like to generate svg charts from XML Data.
                Since there are 2 approaches
                1: Client Side using Script
                2: Server Side using XSLT..

                Which is the better approach?? ... Please let me know
                if there is any alternative other than these two...

                Thanking you,

                S.Pavan Kumar

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • scotthughesameritech
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 27 11:20 AM
                  It's a matter of what makes the most sence for a given application.
                  We chose to write XSLT to spit out our OrgChart in SVG. We use
                  JFreeChart ( http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/ ) for other charting
                  purposes.

                  And befor you ask The OrgChart XSLT isn't available. Yet. I'm
                  working with my company on releasing it to the public.

                  Scott