RE: [svg-developers] New draft SVG Tiny 1.2

  • Rick Bullotta
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
      Thanks, Dean. A historical question: Why the omission of the elliptical arc
      element? Also, did the concept of a declarative pie slice object
      (centerpoint, radius, start angle, sweep angle) ever get tabled for
      discussion? It would be a sweet addition to the spec...

      Thx.

      - Rick

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
        On Thu 01 Jul 2004, Rick Bullotta wrote:

        > Thanks, Dean. A historical question: Why the omission of the elliptical arc
        > element?

        Mostly because no one was going to implement it.
        Also, it is rarely used, it has to be approximated in
        most drawing libraries, it isn't optimised in the same
        way bezier functions are, and lots of people get
        frightened by the maths in the Appendix which tells
        you how to implement it.

        IMO, it should have been removed from Basic and Full
        as well, as I don't think such a fundamental element
        should behave differently on different profiles. According
        to the spec, a Full viewer must go into error if it
        finds a path with an elliptical arc and baseProfile="tiny".
        I really doubt that is how it will be implemented.

        > Also, did the concept of a declarative pie slice object
        > (centerpoint, radius, start angle, sweep angle) ever get tabled for
        > discussion? It would be a sweet addition to the spec...

        It was discussed in April 2000 during the SVG 1.0 timeframe, and
        many times since. However I would suggest that, for now, you
        look at implementing it in RCC or sXBL when that is available.
        I think it is Michel who has done this already.

        Dean