RE: [svg-developers] SVG in Flex: an executive summary

  • Rick Bullotta
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
      In keeping with my overuse of metaphors...

      "I see the glass half full while you see it half empty..."

      While I understand some of the "paranoia" relative to Macromedia, I think
      you all are missing the point here. SVG *needs* to be legitimized by these
      types of moves. Microsoft won't do it, so at least one major content
      authoring provider has, albeit not to the depth you would like to see.

      Instead of attacking them and pushing them away, why not try to embrace the
      effort with Flex and Flash Lite, work with them to get the same
      functionality into the mainstream Flash viewer, provide *constructive*
      criticism into new product ideas/suggestions, and so on.

      For example, the fact that Flex doesn't support filters and masks, is not a
      huge concern to every SVG user. Sometimes "good enough" is "good enough".

      A great example of this is the SharpVectorGraphics project that Niklas and
      gang pulled together. Did it support 100% of the SVG spec? Not at all.
      Was it (is it) very useful and powerful software for leveraging a subset of
      SVG in .NET applications? You betcha. Great stuff, actually. We could
      have berated them for lack of support for this or that, misuse of the logo,
      or whatever, but instead, we embraced and supported it, as it helped obtain
      critical mass behind SVG.

      Having been involved in standards work in my world (manufacturing) for quite
      a few years, I can empathize with your frustration and angst regarding
      acceptance and implementation of your work. I deeply respect, admire, and
      appreciate the work that you, Robin, Jon, and others have done on the SVG
      specs. In this case, however, I sincerely believe that supporting
      Macromedia is the right approach.

      Off the soapbox for now. Who knows, maybe we "violently agree".

      Rick Bullotta
      CTO
      Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
        Rick Bullotta wrote;
        > I deeply respect, admire, and
        > appreciate the work that you, Robin, Jon, and others have done on the SVG
        > specs. In this case, however, I sincerely believe that supporting
        > Macromedia is the right approach.

        I agree Rick, Antoine and Robin :)

        Macromedia's representative here (nothing personal) on the list,
        presents a position that comes off as arrogant and flippant (to me).

        It's like "wish" list, come on -get on the phone and find out,
        walk down the hall and get some meaningful information (please).

        michael bolger
      • m_verstaen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Bullotta"
          <Rick.Bullotta@l...> wrote:
          > In keeping with my overuse of metaphors...
          >
          > "I see the glass half full while you see it half empty..."

          I see two glasses here in fact.

          The first one for the SVG-T support in the Flash-Lite viewer: this
          is a great acknoledgement of the SVG domination in the mobile world.

          The second one is the limited support of SVG in Flex. The problem
          here is more that with what I know of it, claiming that Flex can
          import SVG files is incorrect. Saying that Flex can import static
          designs through a subset of SVG is more like it. This can be useful
          if you want to create dynamic SVG files (using XSLT perhaps) or if
          you need to import Illustrator drawings. But no more.

          Marc
        • Rick Bullotta
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
            Continuing the metaphor theme...

            "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step..."

            I would be elated to see SVG-T 1.2 supported in Flex/Flash Viewer...and the
            fact that a code base exists in Flash-Lite to start from makes that a very
            real possibility. If the Flash XML capabilities were beefed up a bit, and a
            bridge to the "MicroDOM" in SVG-T was provided, very useful things could be
            done. For that matter, I'd love to see the Trait Access stuff in SVG-T DOM
            in all of the SVG profiles...

            - Rick

            > In keeping with my overuse of metaphors...
            >
            > "I see the glass half full while you see it half empty..."

            I see two glasses here in fact.

            The first one for the SVG-T support in the Flash-Lite viewer: this
            is a great acknoledgement of the SVG domination in the mobile world.

            The second one is the limited support of SVG in Flex. The problem
            here is more that with what I know of it, claiming that Flex can
            import SVG files is incorrect. Saying that Flex can import static
            designs through a subset of SVG is more like it. This can be useful
            if you want to create dynamic SVG files (using XSLT perhaps) or if
            you need to import Illustrator drawings. But no more.

            Marc
          • Robin Berjon
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
              Rick Bullotta wrote:
              > For that matter, I'd love to see the Trait Access stuff in SVG-T DOM
              > in all of the SVG profiles...

              It's a design principle that everything that's in a smaller profile is
              in a higher one. So what's in Tiny is in Full (there's no Basic left
              anymore). Wish granted! ;)

              --
              Robin Berjon
            • Rick Bullotta
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
                Schweet! I really like the typed access...and the fact that it hides the
                issue of whether the trait was set via CSS, attribute or other...very cool.

                > For that matter, I'd love to see the Trait Access stuff in SVG-T DOM
                > in all of the SVG profiles...

                It's a design principle that everything that's in a smaller profile is
                in a higher one. So what's in Tiny is in Full (there's no Basic left
                anymore). Wish granted! ;)

                --
                Robin Berjon
              • pavan kumar
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
                  Hi,

                  I would like to generate svg charts from XML Data.
                  Since there are 2 approaches
                  1: Client Side using Script
                  2: Server Side using XSLT..

                  Which is the better approach?? ... Please let me know
                  if there is any alternative other than these two...

                  Thanking you,

                  S.Pavan Kumar

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Rick Bullotta
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
                    There are, of course, many other server-side options than XSLT. You could
                    write servlets, web services, ASP/ASP.NET/JSP, Perl scripts, etc...

                    I think you'll find it more robust to do in "code" rather than XSLT...

                    I would like to generate svg charts from XML Data.
                    Since there are 2 approaches
                    1: Client Side using Script
                    2: Server Side using XSLT..

                    Which is the better approach?? ... Please let me know
                    if there is any alternative other than these two...

                    Thanking you,

                    S.Pavan Kumar

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • scotthughesameritech
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
                      It's a matter of what makes the most sence for a given application.
                      We chose to write XSLT to spit out our OrgChart in SVG. We use
                      JFreeChart ( http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/ ) for other charting
                      purposes.

                      And befor you ask The OrgChart XSLT isn't available. Yet. I'm
                      working with my company on releasing it to the public.

                      Scott