New draft SVG Tiny 1.2

  • Dean Jackson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hi all.

      A new draft of SVG Mobile 1.2 was released this week.

      http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/

      Most important changes are:
      - No plans for an SVG Basic 1.2 - this is only SVG Tiny 1.2
      - text wrapping
      - gradients
      - scripting
      - non scaling strokes
      - the ability to place graphics in client space without
      being affected by zoom and pan (eg. legends on maps)

      Dean
    • Rick Bullotta
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
        Thanks, Dean. A historical question: Why the omission of the elliptical arc
        element? Also, did the concept of a declarative pie slice object
        (centerpoint, radius, start angle, sweep angle) ever get tabled for
        discussion? It would be a sweet addition to the spec...

        Thx.

        - Rick

        A new draft of SVG Mobile 1.2 was released this week.

        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/

        Most important changes are:
        - No plans for an SVG Basic 1.2 - this is only SVG Tiny 1.2
        - text wrapping
        - gradients
        - scripting
        - non scaling strokes
        - the ability to place graphics in client space without
        being affected by zoom and pan (eg. legends on maps)

        Dean

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dean Jackson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
          On Thu 01 Jul 2004, Rick Bullotta wrote:

          > Thanks, Dean. A historical question: Why the omission of the elliptical arc
          > element?

          Mostly because no one was going to implement it.
          Also, it is rarely used, it has to be approximated in
          most drawing libraries, it isn't optimised in the same
          way bezier functions are, and lots of people get
          frightened by the maths in the Appendix which tells
          you how to implement it.

          IMO, it should have been removed from Basic and Full
          as well, as I don't think such a fundamental element
          should behave differently on different profiles. According
          to the spec, a Full viewer must go into error if it
          finds a path with an elliptical arc and baseProfile="tiny".
          I really doubt that is how it will be implemented.

          > Also, did the concept of a declarative pie slice object
          > (centerpoint, radius, start angle, sweep angle) ever get tabled for
          > discussion? It would be a sweet addition to the spec...

          It was discussed in April 2000 during the SVG 1.0 timeframe, and
          many times since. However I would suggest that, for now, you
          look at implementing it in RCC or sXBL when that is available.
          I think it is Michel who has done this already.

          Dean