z-index in SVG?

  • scott.naef@aventis.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
      Is there a way to place objects on top of or below other objects? My efforts to use z-index do not seem to work, and the only ordering that I have seems to be determined by the order the object appears in the xml. Is there a different way to do this? I need a way to set the z-index (or something like it) at runtime via script.

      Thanks for your help!

      -S

    • Martin Honnen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, <scott.naef@a...> wrote:
        > Is there a way to place objects on top of or below other objects?
        My efforts to use z-index do not seem to work, and the only ordering
        that I have seems to be determined by the order the object appears in
        the xml. Is there a different way to do this? I need a way to set
        the z-index (or something like it) at runtime via script.

        I think SVG 1.0 and 1.1 doesn't have a z-index property, according to
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG12/#zindex
        it was planned for SVG 1.2 but is no longer considered.

        With current implementations you can use script to change the order of
        elements in XML and thereby the stacking of elements.
      • scott.naef@aventis.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
          The problem I am having is that I have several groups of elements at the same "level" within those groups I have common elements. One of those elements in a group should appear behind everything no matter what. I am using the group so that I can animate the elements together. I can change the order in the group but that will not effect the overlap on the sister groups.

          If I resort to moving them outside the groups I will have to apply a separate transform to them as well. I was hoping to avoid this. I guess CSS still has quite a way to go in SVG. :(

          -S

          > Is there a way to place objects on top of or below other objects?
          My efforts to use z-index do not seem to work, and the only ordering
          that I have seems to be determined by the order the object appears in
          the xml. Is there a different way to do this? I need a way to set
          the z-index (or something like it) at runtime via script.

          I think SVG 1.0 and 1.1 doesn't have a z-index property, according to
          http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG12/#zindex
          it was planned for SVG 1.2 but is no longer considered.

          With current implementations you can use script to change the order of
          elements in XML and thereby the stacking of elements.

          visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"
          ----

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129c8m716/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1706030389:HM/EXP=1088706304/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com> click here
          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=817900411>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Thomas DeWeese
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
            Hi Scott,

            The problem here is that CSS's 'z-order' feature directly
            contradicts the SVG rendering model. So to take your example
            how would the rendering engine handle you setting 'opacity' on
            the group? It either has to break z-order or it has to
            break opacity. Things get even worse when you consider
            filters.

            CSS in SVG is not the same as HTML (for example the small
            difference of 'display' :).

            scott.naef@... wrote:

            > The problem I am having is that I have several groups of elements at
            > the same "level" within those groups I have common elements. One
            > of those elements in a group should appear behind everything no matter
            > what. I am using the group so that I can animate the elements together.
            > I can change the order in the group but that will not effect the overlap
            > on the sister groups.
            >
            > If I resort to moving them outside the groups I will have to apply a
            > separate transform to them as well. I was hoping to avoid this. I guess
            > CSS still has quite a way to go in SVG. :(

            > -S

          • Lincoln Mitchell
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
              There is no way in SVG alone. You must use Javascript and the manipulate the
              DOM. Else use XSLT to transform the SVG to a new SVG. Maybe the SVG 1.2 (in
              draft) has this feature? Any one else.
              There are a number of Javascript example of this on the web and I have seen
              many posting on the matter, you will need to check the archives. Unless
              someone is kind enough to provide a URL.

              Goodluck

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM