SVG Tiny et Flash Lite 1.1

  • oncle_ernest2002
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hello,

      I think everybody read Macromedia news .

      http://www.macromedia.com/software/devices/products/flashlite/

      What do you think about that ?

      As usual with macromedia (or other) it's not very clear ?

      Flash Player 1.1 read svgt files, but what about authoring tool ?

      Did somebody see contents flash lite ?
      Have you web links to see them ?
    • Bob Hunter
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
        I'm creating an animation in code and adding it to the SVG, but it doesn't
        seem to work (doesn't start animating).

        The code is as follows:

        function buildAnimate(id,toX,toY) {
        node = svgDoc.createElement('AnimateTransform');
        node.setAttribute("id",id + 'Anim');
        node.setAttribute("xlink:href","#"+id);
        node.setAttribute("attributeName","transform");
        node.setAttribute("attributeType","XML");
        node.setAttribute("type","translate");
        node.setAttribute("from","0,0");
        node.setAttribute("to",toX+','+toY);
        node.setAttribute("begin","0s");
        node.setAttribute("dur","10s");
        node.setAttribute("fill","freeze");
        svgRoot.appendChild(node);

        When I check, the anim was successfully added to the SVG, but it doesn't
        start animating the object referred to in the xlink:href. If I put the same
        animation in manually, before loading the svg, it works fine.

        Anyone have an idea why it doesn't start?

        Thanks,

        Bob
      • lestat_24
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
          Hi,

          You should use setAttributeNS instead of setAttribute to modify href
          because it is not defined in the SVG NameSpace:

          var xlinkNS = "http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
          node.setAttributeNS(xlinkNS,"href","#"+id);

          Maybe that will be enough to make it work.

          Christophe

[...]

          -----
          To unsubscribe send a message to:
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • jdowdell@macromedia.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
            At 6:52 AM 6/30/4, oncle_ernest2002 wrote:
            > I think everybody read Macromedia news .
            > http://www.macromedia.com/software/devices/products/flashlite/
            > What do you think about that? As usual with macromedia (or
            > other) it's not very clear ? Flash Player 1.1 read svgt files,
            > but what about authoring tool ?

            Hi, if you read this mailing list then you'll have already seen the link to
            more info earlier this week... just click on that "Read the FAQ" link on
            the page you cited you'll find a number of questions answered about the
            rendering of SVG-Tiny files within the new Macromedia FlashLite 1.1 player
            for mobile phones.

            (Note that people have read SVG files for years in the regular desktop
            Macromedia Flash Player... it doesn't offer the pixel-filtering that the
            full SVG spec demands, but it's possible to render XML-formatted scalable
            vector graphics on the desktop today... searching on "triolo svg" will
            bring up one set of links on the subject. The difference here is that the
            rendering instructions are sent with the file, rather than baked into the
            player as with FlashLite 1.1.)

            jd

            John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
            (Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
            Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
            Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
            Technical daily diary: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd
          • Antoine Quint
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
              Hi John,

              On 30 juin 04, at 20:29, jdowdell@... wrote:

              > (Note that people have read SVG files for years in the regular desktop
              > Macromedia Flash Player... it doesn't offer the pixel-filtering that
              > the
              > full SVG spec demands, but it's possible to render XML-formatted
              > scalable
              > vector graphics on the desktop today... searching on "triolo svg" will
              > bring up one set of links on the subject. The difference here is that
              > the
              > rendering instructions are sent with the file, rather than baked into
              > the
              > player as with FlashLite 1.1.)

              John, no offence to Helen's efforts, but it doesn't even come close to
              10% of SVGT 1.1 features, the smallest official subset of SVG. Which
              also allows me to point that the subset of SVG that is supported in
              Flex doesn't comply to any of the conformance criteria of the W3C SVG
              spec, so please keep your hat on when you make links between SVG and
              the Flash platform in any of its incarnations.

              Antoine
              --
              Antoine Quint <aq@...>
              W3C SVG Working Group Invited Expert

            • Robin Berjon
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
                Antoine Quint wrote:
                > On 30 juin 04, at 20:29, jdowdell@... wrote:
                >>(Note that people have read SVG files for years in the regular desktop
                >>Macromedia Flash Player... it doesn't offer the pixel-filtering that
                >>the
                >>full SVG spec demands, but it's possible to render XML-formatted
                >>scalable
                >>vector graphics on the desktop today... searching on "triolo svg" will
                >>bring up one set of links on the subject. The difference here is that
                >>the
                >>rendering instructions are sent with the file, rather than baked into
                >>the
                >>player as with FlashLite 1.1.)
                >
                > John, no offence to Helen's efforts, but it doesn't even come close to
                > 10% of SVGT 1.1 features, the smallest official subset of SVG. Which
                > also allows me to point that the subset of SVG that is supported in
                > Flex doesn't comply to any of the conformance criteria of the W3C SVG
                > spec, so please keep your hat on when you make links between SVG and
                > the Flash platform in any of its incarnations.

                I'll add further that, again no offense, but reading the page I get for
                that search[1] the first thing that strikes me is that it would appear
                that Macromedia hasn't even bothered to produce a conformant
                non-validating XML parser in Flash. More specifically, the bit about
                removing crlfs tends to indicate that it violates the simple
                requirements in section 3.3.3 on Attribute-Value Normalization[2].

                So unless I'm misreading that comment it would appear that Flash support
                0% of SVG, only something that bears a relationship to SVG akin to that
                which MSHTML bears to XHTML. And I won't comment on the pretense of "XML
                support".

                I'm sorry but a hacked 10% (even if it's a nice hack) on top of a vague
                implementation of XML hardly counts as SVG, that's just a fact. And
                since it took me all of 30 seconds to notice that defect, I get the
                impression that further investigation is unlikeky to yield better results.

                [1]http://actionscript-toolbox.com/shapeDefinedMC.php
                [2]http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#AVNormalize

                --
                Robin Berjon
              • Rick Bullotta
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
                  "You'll always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"...

                  While this old axiom assumes that one wishes to catch flies <g>, I think it
                  would behoove the entire SVG community to be supportive of Macromedia's
                  efforts to embrace SVG, whole or in part, as it validates the SVG mission
                  and recognizes SVG as a valid and significant medium for representing
                  graphical content. I'd perhaps be a bit more encouraging of the future
                  rather than critical of the past...

                  Just my $0.02, after taxes.

                  Rick Bullotta
                  CTO
                  Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
                    On 30 juin 04, at 21:15, Rick Bullotta wrote:

                    > "You'll always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"...
                    >
                    > While this old axiom assumes that one wishes to catch flies <g>, I
                    > think it
                    > would behoove the entire SVG community to be supportive of Macromedia's
                    > efforts to embrace SVG, whole or in part, as it validates the SVG
                    > mission
                    > and recognizes SVG as a valid and significant medium for representing
                    > graphical content. I'd perhaps be a bit more encouraging of the future
                    > rather than critical of the past...

                    I'll never feel bad giving Macromedia what they deserve given that they
                    have always done as much as they could to put a brake on SVG's success.
                    The only reason they "embrace" SVG (for a definition of SVG that is
                    wholly theirs) is because they have been forced to. The enterprise
                    (where Flex is looking to grab market shares) requires standards, as
                    does the mobile industry (Flash Lite / Flash Cast) where SVGT is
                    already embraced at large.

                    Macromedia has always been an innovating company and have always held
                    leadership in the area of rich graphics and now rich internet
                    applications. The fact that they have done everything in their power to
                    go against SVG is a failure of all of this.

                    Antoine

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
                      Rick Bullotta wrote:
                      > While this old axiom assumes that one wishes to catch flies <g>, I think it
                      > would behoove the entire SVG community to be supportive of Macromedia's
                      > efforts to embrace SVG, whole or in part, as it validates the SVG mission
                      > and recognizes SVG as a valid and significant medium for representing
                      > graphical content. I'd perhaps be a bit more encouraging of the future
                      > rather than critical of the past...

                      As you can see in my other posts, I am very supportive of Macromedia
                      supporting SVG. What I cannot be supportive of is a professional troll
                      showing up with the same lie two days in a row, trying to prove that
                      Flash is superior to SVG on some wacky grounds that Flash can implement
                      SVG when 1) that argument is bogus to boot since assembly could do that
                      too but it's hardly a superior Web graphics and applications platforms,
                      and 2) it's not even true since even something as fundamental as XML
                      doesn't appear to be supported properly. What is JD proving? "Flash:
                      Assembly does it better".

                      You'll no doubt observe that two Macromedia people posted to this
                      thread. One was informative and got 'honey', the other's a regular troll
                      and Fud-lover, and got 'vinegar'. Is that unfair?

                      --
                      Robin Berjon
                    • jdowdell@macromedia.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
                        At 11:49 AM 6/30/4, Antoine Quint wrote:
                        > ... so please keep your hat on when you make links between
                        > SVG and the Flash platform in any of its incarnations.

                        Sorry, I usually take my hat off while typing... force of habit, I
                        'spose.... ;-)

                        Seriously, if you see discrete, specific items you'd like changed in the
                        future, then please do drop the note directly to the team working on it
                        (whether the mobile group, the desktop player group, the authoring tool
                        group, whatever). A general "you don't do 10%" or "you don't do 100%" won't
                        usually be as effective as saying what discrete chunk is most important to
                        you, and why.

                        Common followup points: Wishlist is at http://www.macromedia.com/go/wish,
                        and is more a suggestion/communication route than a stuffable voting
                        booth... that is just one input channel, and requests and priorities also
                        come from face-to-face meetings, user groups, online conversations,
                        customer visits and more... getting a request understood by "the other
                        side" is not a sufficient step for getting this request out into the world
                        but is definitely a necessary first step... nothing is impossible, but many
                        things are desired, and prioritizing needs and resources is usually a key
                        step in any engineering work.

                        At 12:15 PM 6/30/4, Rick Bullotta wrote:
                        > "You'll always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"...

                        Thanks, Rick, how true you are....

                        (Another listmember subsequently wrote something about trollery, and for
                        anyone interested in following up on that startling comment, you're welcome
                        to check the actual archives here:

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
                          On 30 juin 04, at 22:32, jdowdell@... wrote:

                          > Seriously, if you see discrete, specific items you'd like changed in
                          > the
                          > future, then please do drop the note directly to the team working on it
                          > (whether the mobile group, the desktop player group, the authoring tool
                          > group, whatever). A general "you don't do 10%" or "you don't do 100%"
                          > won't
                          > usually be as effective as saying what discrete chunk is most
                          > important to
                          > you, and why.

                          Ok, here's another: read the spec. Flex doesn't support SVG, it
                          supports some grammar that matches SVG's but doesn't comply to any
                          compliance criterium described in the SVG specification. Supposedly,
                          according to the Macromedia Flash Lite FAQ, Flash Lite 1.1 passes the
                          W3C SVGT Test Suite succesfully, so when Macromedia want to, they can
                          comply to standards (this still requires independent verification).

                          SVG is what the normative SVG recommendation specifies. Macromedia says
                          "we support SVG", which is wrong. Should I file a wish to just say "do
                          what your press releases" say? This is ludicrous.

                          Antoine
                          --
                          Antoine Quint <aq@...>
                          W3C SVG Working Group Invited Expert
                          SVG Consulting, Teaching and Outsourcing
                          http://www.svg.org/blogs/graouts/

                        • Randy George
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 30, 2004
                            A brief plug but Knudsen is a big name in the Java world.

                            http://java.sun.com/javaone/daily_prompt2.html
                          • Robin Berjon
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
                              jdowdell@... wrote:
                              > (Another listmember subsequently wrote something about trollery, and for
                              > anyone interested in following up on that startling comment, you're welcome
                              > to check the actual archives here:

                              Yet another of your sad, sad little speech tricks JD. You know no one's
                              going to go to the archives. It's a pity, a thorough scan might tell us
                              which bridge you live under.

                              --
                              Robin Berjon
                            • Bob Hunter
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
                                That fixed part of the problem. The first time I animate the node, the
                                animation works fine.

                                In my application, the node can be moved to several different locations,
                                depending upon what the user selects. I'm using the animateTransform to
                                move it slowly to each point the user selects.

                                But, the animation only works the first time. The next time I add an
                                animateTransform for the same object, it moves the object to the new
                                coordinates, but without the motion (it jumps the object directly to the new
                                coordinates).

                                I made sure I removed the old animation before adding a new one for the same
                                node. When that didn't help, I also used a setAttributeNS to back-up the
                                animateTransform fill="freeze".

                                So, the animateTransform moves the object, but without the motion.

                                Anyone have an idea on how to get this to work right?

                                Thanks,

                                Bob

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
                                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Hunter" <bhunter@c...>
                                  wrote:

                                  As you use begin="0", timeline is going ...
                                  Perhaps you can add
                                  svgDoc.setCurrentTime(0) when you create new animation

                                  Michel

                                • Bob Hunter
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
                                    That fixed the problem.

                                    Thanks

                                    As you use begin="0", timeline is going ...
                                    Perhaps you can add
                                    svgDoc.setCurrentTime(0) when you create new animation

                                    Michel

                                    > That fixed part of the problem. The first time I animate the
                                    node, the
                                    > animation works fine.
                                    >
                                    > In my application, the node can be moved to several different
                                    locations,
                                    > depending upon what the user selects. I'm using the
                                    animateTransform to
                                    > move it slowly to each point the user selects.
                                    >
                                    > But, the animation only works the first time. The next time I add
                                    an
                                    > animateTransform for the same object, it moves the object to the
                                    new
                                    > coordinates, but without the motion (it jumps the object directly
                                    to the new
                                    > coordinates).
                                    >
                                    > I made sure I removed the old animation before adding a new one
                                    for the same
                                    > node. When that didn't help, I also used a setAttributeNS to back-
                                    up the
                                    > animateTransform fill="freeze".
                                    >
                                    > So, the animateTransform moves the object, but without the motion.
                                    >
                                    > Anyone have an idea on how to get this to work right?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    >
                                    > Bob

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links