Re: [svg-developers] Arabic text

  • Chris Lilley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2004
      On Sunday, May 30, 2004, 1:18:59 PM, Mamdouh wrote:

      MMEb> Hi all.
      MMEb> I want to draw an SVG arabic text, i searched for the
      MMEb> arabic support in SVG but i found the following sample

      I'm guessing you found it here:
      http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/05/12/svg.html?page=last

      MMEb> that
      MMEb> doesn't display the arabic text as supposed because it is not a
      MMEb> correct arabic text,

      Nor is it correct SVG (which does not have a <b> element) nor is it
      even well formed ( /<b> ). The rasterized sample on that page was also
      incorrect, probably a screenshot from ASV.

      The version you pasted also corrupted the
      arabic characters.

      MMEb> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      MMEb> <svg width="400px" height="300px" version="1.1"
      MMEb> xmlns = http://www.w3.org/2000/svg'>
      MMEb> <text x="10" y="40"
      MMEb> style="font-family: 'Arial'; font-size:20pt; ">
      MMEb> <b> Arabic text: íæäößæÏ </b>
      MMEb> </text>
      MMEb> <text x="10" y="70"
      MMEb> style="direction:rtl; unicode-bidi:bidi-override;
      MMEb> font-family: 'Arial'; font-size:20pt; ">
      MMEb> <b>Arabic text: íæäößæÏ </b>
      MMEb> </text>
      MMEb> <text x="10" y="100"
      MMEb> style="font-family: 'Arial'; font-size:20pt; ">
      MMEb> <b>Arabic text:
      MMEb> <tspan style="direction:rtl; unicode-bidi:embed;">íæäößæÏ
      MMEb> </tspan>/<b>
      MMEb> </text>
      MMEb> </svg>

      Having fixed that by taking out all the <b> elements, pasting in real
      Arabic characters, and making it well formed and valid, it works fine
      - in an implementation that does Arabic shaping correctly. I checked
      in Batik and it was fine.

      --
      Chris Lilley mailto:chris@...
      Chair, W3C SVG Working Group