RE: [svg-developers] is ASV deployed with Adobe Reader ?

  • Doug Schepers
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2004
      Hi-

      Scott, you may not be aware that ASV3 was bundled with Acrobat Reader for
      almost 2 years (I might be wrong about the time period... certainly longer
      than a year); in fact, a version of ASV that works in Acrobat only (not a
      host browser) is still bundeled with Acrobat Reader. So there is good
      precedent for them to do so again.

      I do not believe that any ASV browser plug-in is currently distributed with
      Acrobat Reader. I do think that they will bundle ASV6 with Acrobat Reader,
      when SVG1.2 is finalized and the ASV6 plug-in is done. I don't have any
      inside information, though. Adobe has a policy of not commenting on
      updcoming releases, though, so I doubt we'll have any official word about it
      much in advance.

      Regards-
      -Doug

      scott.naef@...

      | Benjamin,
      |
      | I agree this tact would greatly help to spread support for
      | SVG. However, it would be a bad business move for Adobe to
      | install ASV as part of Adobe Reader. They are different
      | tools for different purposes. Adobe has been very successful
      | in keeping the reader small and useful. If they did this
      | many customers may start to ask "why was this installed when
      | all I wanted was the reader? What else was installed that I
      | don't know about?" Installing secondary tools in the
      | background is perceived to be a sneaky move and I'm sure
      | Adobe would not want to be viewed as sneaky.
      |
      | Your line of thought is good though, how about an option at
      | the end of the install. "Would you like to install the Adobe
      | SVG viewer also?"
      |
      | just my $0.02
      |
      | -Scott

      ---