Java and SVG

  • corto1980
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2004
      Hello,

      I wondered if it was possible to handle every SVG events in Java
      (not in Javascript) : Click, Mouseover, out, etc... ?

      If it is, so could you please, help me to find resources.

      Thanks.

      Corto
    • daniel_horspool
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2004
        As far as I know, this is the only way to do it:
        make an html webpage that loads both the svg and a java applet (the
        applet could be in an iframe so that users can't see it.)

        Then for each event you want to handle in svg, write a javascript
        method for them, the function should simply call a method in the
        applet class you made on the page.

        Check out this link for info on how to do java/javascript
        interaction:
        http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/Java-from-JavaScript.html

        P.S. If anyone knows a direct method for svg/java interaction I'd
        love to know...

        Daniel

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "corto1980" <corto1980@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I wondered if it was possible to handle every SVG events in Java
        > (not in Javascript) : Click, Mouseover, out, etc... ?
        >
        > If it is, so could you please, help me to find resources.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Corto
      • corto1980
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2004
          Hello and thanks for your help, but...

          My problems is that I want use SVG directly in Java (not in a web
          solution), and use it to automatically generate vectorized graphs
          from DataBase. So I don't want to use javascript, but only Java to
          generate and to manipulate graphs and events (mouse, key, etc).

          Corto

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "daniel_horspool"
          <daniel_horspool@y...> wrote:
          > As far as I know, this is the only way to do it:
          > make an html webpage that loads both the svg and a java applet
          (the
          > applet could be in an iframe so that users can't see it.)
          >
          > Then for each event you want to handle in svg, write a javascript
          > method for them, the function should simply call a method in the
          > applet class you made on the page.
          >
          > Check out this link for info on how to do java/javascript
          > interaction:
          > http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/Java-from-JavaScript.html
          >

          > P.S. If anyone knows a direct method for svg/java interaction I'd
          > love to know...
          >

          > Daniel
          >

          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "corto1980"
          <corto1980@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I wondered if it was possible to handle every SVG events in Java
          > > (not in Javascript) : Click, Mouseover, out, etc... ?
          > >
          > > If it is, so could you please, help me to find resources.
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Corto
        • paulroubekas
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2004
            I know Batik will do the generate and manipulate part, not sure about
            the events. See link.

            http://xml.apache.org/batik/index.html

            wrote:
            > Hello and thanks for your help, but...
            >
            > My problems is that I want use SVG directly in Java (not in a web
            > solution), and use it to automatically generate vectorized graphs
            > from DataBase. So I don't want to use javascript, but only Java to
            > generate and to manipulate graphs and events (mouse, key, etc).
            >
            > Corto
            >
            > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "daniel_horspool"
            > <daniel_horspool@y...> wrote:
            > > As far as I know, this is the only way to do it:
            > > make an html webpage that loads both the svg and a java applet
            > (the
            > > applet could be in an iframe so that users can't see it.)
            > >
            > > Then for each event you want to handle in svg, write a javascript
            > > method for them, the function should simply call a method in the
            > > applet class you made on the page.
            > >
            > > Check out this link for info on how to do java/javascript
            > > interaction:
            > > http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/Java-from-JavaScript.html
            > >

            > > P.S. If anyone knows a direct method for svg/java interaction I'd
            > > love to know...
            > >

            > > Daniel
            > >

            > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "corto1980"
            > <corto1980@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > I wondered if it was possible to handle every SVG events in
            Java
            > > > (not in Javascript) : Click, Mouseover, out, etc... ?
            > > >
            > > > If it is, so could you please, help me to find resources.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks.
            > > >
            > > > Corto
          • arianhojat2000
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2004
              Hey did u have success with SVG and Java (not applet just pure java)?
              i am trying to also use Java, maybe Batik and SVGCanvas/Jcanvas? i
              dont really know. If u have had any simple success with code that
              would be helpful. Just want to create a Rectangle dynamically and
              display/add it on a SVG file i already made.
            • corto1980
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2004
                Finally I have found what I was looking for : Batik...

                It allows manipulations, Java scripting (pure Java), and almost
                everything possible with SVG. But for animations I don't know if it
                could use it.

                Thanks to every people.

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "arianhojat2000"